1/2256 Mon Calamari MC-80

nicholassagan

sippin on gin + juice
Reaction score
Hey Mike, it's the Anigrand kit and I luckily picked it up before he got the C&D. However, it's based off of SRS Prototyping's kit. In fact, Anigrand might have very well 3D scanned SRS's, rescaled it a tad and did a different parts breakdown.

nicholassagan

sippin on gin + juice
Reaction score
Another update. Got all the seams cleaned up with good old Aves and began painting and it seems I’m taking more of an experimental approach. The whole thing got a base coat of camo gray, which has a nice little warm undertone then I hit some of the raised areas with a thin coat of white to pop them out a little bit.

I also test-trimmed some areas of fibers and it’ll look reeeeally good when it’s all done.

The engine array was masked off and got a coat of gunship gray, which in hindsight is too dark when comparing it to studio model pics. That area will get a little more love later on.

I used a bunch of small squares of masking tape to mark off the hull for the random shades of paneling but I won’t be doing a big overall coat again. However, I did hit the whole thing with some semi-gloss after those squares just so there is some variation with the overall finish of the paneling.

Once that was dry I placed bits of torn masking tape semi-randomly over the entire hull. The next steps will be added the splotchy areas of rust and gray. THAT is where all the masking will come in handy.

The engine inserts were dipped in Tamiya clear yellow…not quite satisfied with the choice of white LEDs for the engines…but too late now/better luck next time/live with it…

Onward! I want to finish this up before the end of the month!

Igard

Reaction score
Looking awesome, the engine effect looks fab!

Grendels

Reaction score
Nice! A quick question: How do you trim your fiber optics up so cleanly.

nicholassagan

sippin on gin + juice
Reaction score
A sharp blade :) I actually use Elmer's Glue to set the fibers in place and do a little push/pull to get the glue to fill the gap between the hole and the strand. A final clear coat will make them a bit more flush, too.

nicholassagan

sippin on gin + juice
Reaction score
I did all the color splotches in red and gray. The gray was pretty much gunship straight from the bottle and the red was a mix of rust and international orange.

I did go back in with camo gray on the engine section.

I also went over some of the gray areas with a gray/black mix to do a little gradient. Everything turned out super bold so I hit the whole thing with a misting of camo gray for blending. The fibers were then trimmed.

Lights on!

Next up is possible “medical cruiser” decals, detail painting, pencil lines for paneling, weathering and of course a clear coat.

nicholassagan

sippin on gin + juice
Reaction score
Thanks man! That means a lot coming from Mr. First Place!!!

JohnSimmons

For Spud: I was once Merseajohn
Reaction score
I thought you had me Nick I really did! I said to my girlfriend "thats what I'm up against.." lol

nicholassagan

sippin on gin + juice
Reaction score
Did you see the numbers though?? You were miles ahead!! ;D

nicholassagan

sippin on gin + juice
Reaction score
Thanks!!

So here's a question for you all....Since I've put WAY more windows on this than the studio model, I'm considering it to be either the PRE-Rebellion Luxury Liner version, which is also a POST-Empire retro-fit version...OR a medical cruiser version which is another known conversion for it (OT and EU).

If it's the Luxury Liner version, do you think it needs some more markings a la airliner style? Like a red or blue stripe down the sides or something?

But if it's going to be medical, something like a red stripe wrapping the bow or something similar? Thoughts?

JohnSimmons

For Spud: I was once Merseajohn
Reaction score
I'd keep it without the stripes personally but whatever you choose will make it look great (it already does).

Igard

Reaction score
Yip, I'd say medical too.

Nick, this coolness of the highest degree!

Latest posts