Getting back into aircraft modeling leading up to an end project

swimmingrod

Hello, as the title says, I would like to get into aircraft modeling to build up to an end of the summer project I have in mind.

The final project is going to be a model 737-800 with a Southwest Airlines Decal/Paint to gift my girlfriend who's aspiring to be a pilot.

Here are some questions I have:

- What model 737 should I purchase?
- What would be some models I could work on honing my skills for the project?
- What airbrush kit should I purchase?

If I have anymore questions, I will post them on here. Optimistically, my budget would be about $700 - $900 for the entire summer (Materials, models, paints, etc)

Please help me out!

Howdy. Welcome. Come on in.

Ever built anything before?

Rob.
I’ve tried my hand on a few models. One being a Revell Stuka Tank Buster and another being a Tamiya Marder 1a2.

I sort of finished the Stuka but unfortunately the way in which I painted it kind of just made it look like the plastic with darker discoloration and brush strokes everywhere.

I am more proud of the Marder. Although it does have brush strokes here and there and a little lacking in more minor details.

I don’t have pictures right now and unfortunately it’s kind of late but I am very proud of the Marder.

Yes, post pictures when you're able. Sounds like you have experience already! Painting is never the easy part.

Rob.

Hello, as the title says, I would like to get into aircraft modeling to build up to an end of the summer project I have in mind.

The final project is going to be a model 737-800 with a Southwest Airlines Decal/Paint to gift my girlfriend who's aspiring to be a pilot.

Here are some questions I have:

- What model 737 should I purchase?
- What would be some models I could work on honing my skills for the project?
- What airbrush kit should I purchase?

If I have anymore questions, I will post them on here. Optimistically, my budget would be about $700 - $900 for the entire summer (Materials, models, paints, etc)

Please help me out!
Hi and welcome to the forum. Lot's of folk here who I'm sure will be able to help you.
Pantherman

I’ve tried my hand on a few models. One being a Revell Stuka Tank Buster and another being a Tamiya Marder 1a2.

I sort of finished the Stuka but unfortunately the way in which I painted it kind of just made it look like the plastic with darker discoloration and brush strokes everywhere.

I am more proud of the Marder. Although it does have brush strokes here and there and a little lacking in more minor details.

I don’t have pictures right now and unfortunately it’s kind of late but I am very proud of the Marder.
Generally lot's of thinned layers of paint will get rid of the brush marks. The same applies to airbrush painting. Pantherman

Greetings and welcome. I am currently in flight school at local airfield. She will probably train on a Cessna 172.
I would check out garage sales to find a practice kit. Also Hobby Lobby has sales on their kits regularly.
I just bought the Iwata Eclipse airbrush ($170) and I really like it.
I think prep work is key to a good paint job. Filling seams, sanding, and filing.
As others have mentioned, thin layers of paint is the best way to go

Check in Scalehobbyist.com. Waaaay better than Hobby Lobby since they never have anything new. Aircraft kits are pretty non-existent there - no airliner kits at all.

Other sites you can look into:

Spruebrothers.com
KitLinx.com
Hobbylinc.com

As far as airbrush goes, I highly recommend you check out Don’s Airbrush Tips website…

https://sites.google.com/site/donsairbrushtips/

Lots of helpful stuff to make your decision making easy.

As far as looking for Southwest Airlines decal markings, you may have to look for aftermarket decals for that particular airline company. I never done any airliner kits before but I wouldn’t be too surprised they’re not out there.
But… you never know. I’d try this eBay seller. Go to the drop down menu for aircraft decals. I’ve done business with this seller numerous times and is easy to do business with.

https://www.ebay.com/str/scottsmodelworkshop

Air compressors are dime a dozen. I got mine at Harbor Freight and it works for me.

Hers a couple good sites:

https://usaairbrushsupply.com/

https://spraygunner.com/

I’d check out USA Airbrush Supply and compare prices with Spray Gunner. Both are good sites.

Another useful thing to get is an airbrush cleaning station to clean/flush out your airbrush. Harbor Freight has them super cheap. This is what I use:

https://www.harborfreight.com/airbrush-cleaning-bottle-68154.html

$7 bucks is a steal…

Whatever airbrush you decide on, make sure the hose from your compressor can fit your airbrush. If it doesn’t, go to UAS airbrush Supply site and get an adapter. They have a wife variety to fit most brands of airbrushes.

Some kits you build, some build you.
Welcome!!!! So much good info here!!!
Beware the Black Widow by Revell at H.L.!!!
Good source for odd kits can be Mustang Hobbies.

Beware the Black Widow by Revell at H.L.!!!

Hold up on that car wash gentlemen!

If the Black Widow from Revell is considered a bad kit, get 2. I don't personally know how it builds since I only have that kit for kit bash parts, but you want the practice, right? Known bad kits will be good for practicing and I take Down Time's word for that, he builds planes all the time. In fact, if you've seen people say a kit is bad, grab one for practice.

Rob.

If the Black Widow from Revell is considered a bad kit, get 2. I don't personally know how it builds since I only have that kit for kit bash parts, but you want the practice, right? Known bad kits will be good for practicing and I take Down Time's word for that, he builds planes all the time. In fact, if you've seen people say a kit is bad, grab one for practice.

Rob.
Haven't tried one yet, just going on the other crash and burns of who have tried this kit.
Revel kits will challenge though.

Rob.

The Revell Black Widow is utterly pure garbage!!!! I should know because I received one for Christmas a couple years ago. I started building it, and immediately noticed nothing fits, lots of flash, warped parts, etc… I should know because I built the original Monogram Black Widow kit back in the mid 70s and that kit went together well. I ended up trashing that POS in the garbage after putting out of of it misery with the Flak hammer on my bench. Yeah…it was that bad.

The Revell kit is a product of bad moldings off the old molds from the original Monogram kit of the 70s and 80s. Basically it’s a repop of that original Monogram kit. Those molds are so worn out is the main reason it’s pure garbage.

Do yourself a favor, DO NOT waste your money buying 2 Revell Black Widow kits. If anything, get the Revell A-10 Warthog kit. At least that one isn’t as bad as the Revell Black Widow kit.

Latest posts

Back