Decals copying technique..?

hoakin1981

So, after the local importer of Hobbyboss models here has confirmed that my order of a spare set of decals for my Los Angeles sub will take months with an "unknown" delivery time, i started looking for ways of copying all decals of my next builts before using them in case i mess one up during setting.

Apparently this (decal copying) is "a thing" but the how-to part is not that clear. The problem (at least for me) lies on the fact that normal household printers cannot print the color "white" and since 95% of all my decals are white this is a pickle..

Ok, i can try and find a local printing shop which normally should have the ability to print white and i can even provide them with the required A4 waterslide clear decals sheets.

However, i still need to provide them with a file to print and there lies the question. Has anyone perfected a process to scan a decal sheet in order to somehow basically copy it?

Thanks in advance

Never had luck copying decals but you could look for some painting stencils and paint the markings.

The only way to get white is get decal paper with white backing, not clear. The downside is you’ll have to trim/cut exact on the color edges.

Thanks for all replies. Unfortunately, the white decal paper would work only if said decals were "consecutive" so without gaps which is not the case...

There is someone who offers ALPS printing services, though it's pretty pricey. I have started scanning all my decal sheets, just to have a starting point in case they shatter. I build mostly cheap, old kits, and these have ancient decals that often have problems.

I take the cheap/old approach because I rarely/never finish a model without some kind of screw-up. I have some really nice kits in the stash that I haven't started because once I'm done with them, they won't be really nice anymore.

Latest posts

Back