Beginners airbrush.

frugm

So I've been doing some looking around for a new airbrush. What do you guys recommend for a decent not to expensive airbrush I'm looking around 70 maybe 80 bucks. I know I want a dual action.

What kind of paints do you guys recommend? My options are pretty limited around here, Testors acrylics and enamels are my only choices.

Thanks Simon.

Re: Begginers airbrush.

My first airbrush was a Badger 150. I forgot what I paid. More than $70. I just took a look on ebay right now and you can get one for under your budget.

It's a great brush. Dual action, internal mix. I love it. It's worked great for years. Might be the first and last brush you buy.

Cool thanks. I notice a lot of you guys using gravity fed brushes are there any big advantages to using those as opposed to bottom cup type.

PS. Love the GB wish i wasn't to late to join but its certainly given me some inspiration.

The Battle of Britain one. I've always loved that time period. Reminds me of being at my Grans house in London, listening to her war stories when I was younger.

frugm said:
The Battle of Britain one. I've always loved that time period. Reminds me of being at my Grans house in London, listening to her war stories when I was younger.

OH right on! :) Yeh, it's coming to an end. Jump in one of the others. :)

frugm said:
Also I'm thinking either Badger 150 or this guy.
http://thayerandchandlerairbrush.com/Images/Omni%204000.jpg

That's good too. Thayer and Chandler is Badger now too. I think that's the Patriot 105 (what they call it now). So look at that. If you're beginning, I'll say go with the 150 or 155 or the 105. The 150 and 155 are bottom feeds and the 105 gravity feed. But if you're gonna go with a gravity and that why you're looking at the 105 then I suggest getting the Renegade Velocity. It's a finer needle so you get a finer line (and you can switch to a medium needle if you need to if you go and buy the needle). It's about the same price with the 105 and Velocity.

Don't forget about Harder & Steenbeck, their Ultra is a great starter airbrush. Dual Action, gravity feed, with a .2mm needle for under $90....hard to go wrong!

frugm said:
Cool thanks. I notice a lot of you guys using gravity fed brushes are there any big advantages to using those as opposed to bottom cup type.

PS. Love the GB wish i wasn't to late to join but its certainly given me some inspiration.

Gravity feeds can run at lower pressure so in theory work better for fine work. Basically, it is easier to let gravity work for you than to use extra effort to lift the paint up.

I find it easier with going with a gravity brush than a bottom feed. I've been using bottom feed airbrushes but just recently decided to change to a gravity and got lucky with Scotts help in getting one. I love it way much more. Easier to deal with.

The advantage with bottom feed is you can hook up bottles to it and have access to lots more paint without the need to change but you really don't need that in scale modeling. I find I'm switch out paint often and don't need a whole bottle to do it.

I heard lots of good things with Harder & Steenbeck and with Iwata but I have no experience with them. ECH is the guy to talk about Harder & Steenbeck :)

Ferris828 said:
I don't want to be the 'Ugly American' here, but don't forget about an 'air' option.

I usually blow through a hose connected in the airbrush but I usually end up fainting myself. But Ferris is right, did you look at an air source yet?

The $15 harbor freight "deluxe" airbrush is a knock off of the badger 150, in fact it's virtually identical. May not last as long as a name brand airbrush but it works, and works well.

Jdog71 said:
Grendels said:
And for the $70 US, you can get the harbor freight air brush with a compressor.

Looks like I'm buying an air brush this weekend.

That'll work! Get the set with the tank if you can... the T20 I think the compressor it. I'm not sure what the $70 set entails exactly but there's some people that have great success with it and lasted them for a couple of years and I've had some I've seen and tell me their compressor died after a couple of months.

DreamKnight said:
Jdog71 said:
Grendels said:
And for the $70 US, you can get the harbor freight air brush with a compressor.

Looks like I'm buying an air brush this weekend.

That'll work! Get the set with the tank if you can... the T20 I think the compressor it. I'm not sure what the $70 set entails exactly but there's some people that have great success with it and lasted them for a couple of years and I've had some I've seen and tell me their compressor died after a couple of months.

Should be good enough for a starter kit! There's a dealer in my area that specializes in model making, so I'll probably end up taking his 'introduction to air brushing' class, in addition to scouring boards like this for tips. Once I learn all the finer points, I'll know what I need to do what I want to do. I'm looking forward to the learning process.

Hadn't looked to hard at compressors yet.. But from what I have read, In theory any will work but the tank type are better correct? Sorry Airbrush noob here. As you don't get as much splattering. There going to be my birthday present. So I cant spend a complete fortune :( hers is two days after mine. lol...

Hey maybe I'll buy "my wife" a compressor for her birthday and she can get me the airbrush for mine.. "But hunnie I could have sworn I heard you say you wanted a dozen roses and an air compressor".. :p

Tell her you can airbrush her nails and tan with some extra attachments.....sorted
Two birds with one stone.
Thank me later lol

Latest posts

Back