Zombie Fighter Mustang

The mini gun would be awesome in terms of rounds down range when taking out zombies. However, the 50 cal. just looks cool! I think it would be my choice for this build.

Great work on the rivets and cradle for the fuel barrel, too.

Thanks dude. Yeah, I'm leaning that way big time. I think I'll save the minigun for my next project. ;)

Funny, the P51 Mustang has 50 cals too. Maybe I should paint this sucker bare steel like the aircraft...

I say "Go big or Go home"! .50 call all the way.

Question for you. When you used the stretched sprue did you just stretch it out and then lay it in the crease, almost like a one piece weld seam? Or did you recess it in behind just to hide the gap? Not sure if I am making sense or not. Maybe you got some clips on the cutting room floor? Never used stretched sprue so interested in this technique.

Thanks,

Thanks hook.

Yes, I just layed it in the crease, softened it with some Tamiya thin glue and pressed it into the gap. Works great.

I vote for the 50 cal.

As for finishing, I would definitely go with a P-51 theme, many had some pretty wild nose art and names that might be very appropriate for what you are doing.

Love how this s shaping up Scott!

Tory

The 50 cal is getting lots of votes.

Yeah, a P-51 theme could be cool. Thing is - I have an older 1/24 P-51 kit. Decals and all.

We'll see. I'm still liking a rusted up, yellow, blue and black scheme; probably because most of my last build was bare metal...

Scott Girvan said:
We'll see. I'm still liking a rusted up, yellow, blue and black scheme; probably because most of my last build was bare metal...

So what's the problem?! ;)

louIV.jpg

Bammm!

You just totally influenced the decision. There's my reference. Thanks Tory - that's a big help.

I'll need to find some 'star & strip' decals that are the right size...might have some in a kit in the stash.
I'll paint the nose yellow, mid section steel, rear blue - or something like that...

+++

To those that know. Can the bare steel on a P-51 rust? or should I say; if I paint parts of the '70 Mustang in bare steel would it rust? - pretty sure it would.

What's eating at me know is that if I take this toward a P-51 themed zombie hunter...

the 1/24 aircraft kit has 2 sweet bombs that would make killer fuel tanks...

Bwahahaha! I've created a monster!

To answer your question, a real P-51 would have been skinned in Duralumin, which would not have rusted. However a Ford Mustang left in bare metal would rust in a hurry (anyone that has owned a Ford product produced in the 60s or 70s can attest to that!). If I might make a suggestion, if you are married to the bare metal thing, why not go with a nice steel color with some light surface rust, as if the owner stripped the paint off and never got around to priming it. Maybe have the yellow and blue areas chipped to expose some bare metal as well. In high wear areas, maybe have some brighter metal to show wear polishing? I know, I think way too far into this!

You know what else would be cool? Drop that big hulking Rolls Royce Merlin V-12 engine from your 1/24th scale Mustang in the engine bay! :D

I'll shut up now... :-[

Tory said:
You know what else would be cool? Drop that big hulking Rolls Royce Merlin V-12 engine from your 1/24th scale Mustang in the engine bay! :D

Don't think I haven't considered it.
JohnSimmons said:
That's a cool idea!

It is. It's all Tory's fault. I do like theme builds, gives me direction. I need direction.

- in other news; man I'm swamped at work. I'm sure it will slow down around Christmas but right now it's nuts.

The first ones had the Allison V-12, then converted over to the Rolls due to problems with the Allison. :-\

Latest posts

Back