ZOID Shield Liger Restoration

CallSignOWL

Hoot Hoot
Ive finally got off my butt and broke out my old zoid collection. I had built them when I was younger and knew nothing about proper modeling techniques.

Im planning a battle worn, custom scheme for this fella. This would be my first "sci-fi" project, but I figure it wont be too much different than an armor build. If anyone has some pointers, feel free to share!

How it stood: some missing pieces and a broken tail

hold your breath, because here it goes!

I made sure to take pictures as I disassembled, since my instruction booklet for the thing is long gone

inner walking mechanism; took out the old battery

yay parts!

I went through all of these and trimmed off the excess tabs I had left on there. I also had to scrape mold seams off nearly every part. Some of the pieces had the company stamp or "off/on", etc. on them, so I covered that with scrap plastic

Most of the tail was missing, so I sourced a tail-tip from the Liger Zero kit since it had alternate parts. A bit of scratchbuilding to get it to fit and cover up hollow areas

On the guns, I made sure to drill out the tips and add detail in the hollow areas

Way cool. Always digged Zoids, interesting show. And it's great to see old models refurbished and painted anew!

Are you going for an anime themed finish or a realistic one (well as realistic as Sci Fi can get)?

got quite a bit of progress done this weekend, most notably PAINT!

Here is a mock up to show the paint scheme

all the pieces are getting detailed

showing some color. Much more interesting than the 3-tone original plastic

Once weathered it will be a real beauty !

This toys/kits have almost 30 years right ? It's amazing to think that, even now, the mecha design is PERFECT !

one of the pieces lost to eternity were the lower fangs. A bit of whittling and voila! Teefs~!

there was a hole where the on/off switch would stick out. That made it way too toy-like, so I cut off the switch and grabbed a sprocket from teh spare parts bin. Just an itty bit of trimming and it fit perfectly!

There would be an empty area under the neck, so I added wire of various gauges to fill it up

made sure it extended into the open dorsal area...

so with wiring and decaling complete, assembly could begin! I built up sub-assemblies to make it easier to dullcoat things. Body ready to go.

Latest posts

Back