Zaku Kai scratch build

Good to see you back with this .
I'm loving all the complexity .

So you're traveling across the country to that show ?
Man , I live less than 30 minutes from where the Houston IPMS show is held every year and I need to talk myself into that not being too far of a drive . :D

Good to see you back with this .
I'm loving all the complexity .

So you're traveling across the country to that show ?
Man , I live less than 30 minutes from where the Houston IPMS show is held every year and I need to talk myself into that not being too far of a drive . :D
Yeah I try to make it out to SCGMC when I can. This one is my 6th. These days it's the only model show I really travel for. This time it's also gonna be an excuse to bring one of the kids to Disneyland. (I'd actually wanted to bring the whole family along but the scheduling didn't work out.)

I had hoped to have this project done for the SCGMC model show in a couple weeks, and when there were still 70 days remaining, that was at least a possibility, but... I just haven't gotten back to that pace of steady progress I had going for a while...

Little bit of progress, though, I built an elbow joint. That's something... right?

Critical Flame-Out (14 days remaining)

Great to see updates on this .
Good progress .

So what all do you need to do to set up your workspace properly ?
Sounds like it must be quite involved if you've avoided this for 4 years , ;)

Great to see updates on this .
Good progress .

So what all do you need to do to set up your workspace properly ?
Sounds like it must be quite involved if you've avoided this for 4 years , ;)

Some of it is just cleaning, some of it is the usual ventilation set-up for the spray booth, some of it is the fact that I've got myself a rather large compressor and decided to have it in another area of the house, so I need to run an air hose to it.
I've been making some headway on the cleaning portion, the tough part there has basically just been that I've overfilled my space, so there's no space to move, and for things in the way there's no place for them to go. I've dealt with that by moving some of my kit collection to storage, I still need to do more of that, though. The air hose routing kind of goes hand-in-hand with another project to run wired ethernet to my workspace, and I kind of hit a wall (figuratively, I mean) trying to route things past some heating equipment in the attic, it's kind of a whole ordeal any time I want to go up there and try and work on it, and it's kind of miserable when I am up there, and it tends to feel fruitless as I, so far, haven't been able to get that wire where it needs to go. The hose would follow the same path, or a similar one...
Basically about 5 years ago I was using some basement space for my model work, but we had a 24 hour power outage and, without the sump pump, the basement flooded, wrecking a lot of my stuff and throwing the rest of it into chaos (as it all got hastily moved to drier areas of the house) - and then we moved. I made some good headway on setting up the space when I first moved in (including installing ceiling lights and some fairly difficult work installing the start of that network line) but that work kind of stalled, and other priorities have just been bumping it, over and over. It's frustrating and I feel like I'm always using it as an excuse for why I don't get any model work done, and that's frustrating, too. (I wasn't the speediest modeler even when I had my workspace all set up and working, certainly there are various time-sinks that contribute to that, but having this studio thing hanging over me only makes that worse...)
But it does need to get done. Apart from airbrushing, I need the compressor for pressure-casting, too. I have entertained the idea of "Gordian knot"ing this thing and just getting another little compressor, keep it in the studio and not worry about running a long air hose (particularly when it still looked like I could hit the SCGMC target, this was an attractive option... But I'd also prefer not to have one more piece of equipment cluttering up the space...)
On the more positive side, though, while it's a drag that I won't be finishing the Zaku in time for SCGMC , it's great that I've made so much headway on it this year. I think I've got to think about why my attempt to return to the project in September didn't work out, though.

While I appreciate the sentiment when it's offered...
zakufz_20230920_grenade_5.jpg
No Such Thing as Luck (51 days to SCGMC)

Schedule-wise things aren't looking great at this point. I'm going to keep at it for now but I may have to change plans for SCGMC.

Latest posts

Back