Your LHS, show and tell

oboat

Hi everyone, just thinking about hobbie shops around the world, whats it look like, good staff and service? Maybe a little blab about that service? Guess I'll start. In Halifax,Nova,Scotia, Canada, we have Maritime Hobbies and Crafts. The owners name is John, His staff are great and very friendly. They stock all sorts of things and are fast when you order stuff. Little story, in 2001 I came home from the UK(spent 2 yrs there getting a submarine) and found my house had been broken into, they took everything 150+ unbuilt kits, 100 or so built kits and everything else(figs, paint , airbrushes ,dremmel etc about $5000 in stuff). When I went to get new stuff John heard the story and gave me $60 worth of stuff. They also do trades( your old unbuilt kits for store credit). And they also support the hobbie's future( by accepting Canadian Tire money from youngsters as cash)!If you are ever in Halifax N.S., feel free to drop in, John and the guys are great, and love to chat about the hobbie(they do it themselves). they also do Rail and RC( I like the rail stuff , get things to beef up stowage etc). I'm not affiliated with them, just a very happy long time costumer(25 yrs)

what in gods name is Tire money ?

My LHS is Crap the only reason i use it is to get some Tamiya paint and my mate works there, Ordering stuff is a Joke kits are way over Priced imo its too small for whats in there the Shop has Way to many Static display cars buses and trucks that don't seem to ever sell. the guy that owns the place is an ass and has a few other shops around the country.

boils my blood even thinking about it, So instead of buying kits there i get them online at http://www.emodels.co.uk or ebay

I live in Gainesville, Florida. All we have is a hobbytown usa and it stinks. Completely pitiful excuse for a hobby shop. I have heard that Hobbytown's in other cities are actually really nice. Well, Gainesville got the short end of the stick. They really only cater to RC fanatics, the RC stuff makes up about 90% of the store. The scale model section is an absolute joke. They have had the same kits and tools for years!!! They never restock anything, and I mean NEVER, and the prices, whew, dont get me started on the prices....Im sure they will order stuff for you if you need it, but what is the point? I can go online and order whatever I want for a better price. I dont bother getting to know the staff they all seem to be unhelpful teenagers that couldn't care less about their job. I have completely stopped shopping their, I buy all my supplies online at this point. I would so much rather support my local hobby shop, but they really have not given me much choice.

I'm in SouthEast Georgia/ Northeast Florida Area....all we have is Hobby Lobby, HobbyTown, and Hobby Oasis.....Hobby Oasis has the capability to be GREAT but I dont think the hobby is too popular here so the owner only stocks on an absolute need basis. Nice guy and his prices are reasonable, even if his kit stock is a bit dated. The one other shop in town isnt worth mentioning since they charge $35 for SnapTite kits from the 90's. Severely overpriced and caters essentially only to the railroader/RC enthusiasts.

Back in my Hometown of Pittsburgh however, there are a ton of stores with great owners and a plethora of kits at nearly online pricing ( no shipping helps even out the blow ) The Silver Coin in Washington, PA is quite nice. Small shop inside of a mall, but it has plenty of selection and prices that dont have you saying" yeah right" and walking out the front door in seconds

Good Day Folks!

I am blessed with an AWESOME model railroad shop, the entire store is dedicated to the model railroad hobby. Also a plus, is its location, located next to one of the best place to railfan in Central Ohio. We also have a decent HobbyTown USA about 5 minutes from my house, they actually have a decent selection, and the staff are incredibly helpful.

-Steven

Hi Spud, Canadian Tire is a shop across Canada that is a cross between a DYI store, sporting goods and Auto. It has "money" you can use toward purchasing items in their shop. You get CDN tire money when you buy stuff from them(spend so much money, get so much CDN tire money). If you spend about $100 you get about a $1 in CDN tire money. Sorry your local shop honks on bobo.

I've been to Maritime Hobbies myself a few times. I wouldn't give it a five star recommendation. But I'm glad you've had good experiences.

There's a few small shops in my town. I much prefer hopping on the local train and going up to Rainbow Ten in Shizuoka city though.

my LHS is a ripoff to say the least. IT's modelzone. they have nothing in the store. but, it's in a mall, so very easy to access, i tell my parents i wanna go to the mall and eat mcdonalds... hehe 8)

Mine is BCT Hobbies & Crafts - the owners are very helpful and very friendly. I occasionally get discounts when
I make visits. I buy model infrequently there to at least put in some money into the store, but I really only go there to buy tools/sandpaper/paints. I'd love to buy models frequently, but when I can buy Revell 1/48 kits for $5 online, I'd rather spend the $5 and not $20+ (e.g. Revell Spitfire). The model variety is hit and miss, but they
do offer special orders at no extra cost (but the prices reflect MSRP or higher). The store has a good number of stock - yet their stock seems to have not been updated too much since they've been established (I think I remember a good number of kits I saw 5+ years ago).

It's unfortunate, but I doubt the LHS will last long during this contemporary period. I would say another 5-10
years and LHS's will come to an end. I'm assuming a majority of LHS can't offer the cheaper online prices, and
really the only thing the LHS can offer in terms of competition (assuming an individual can access the internet/buy via the internet), is a friendly atmosphere - conversation, tips, etc. Sigh...

I do still prefer browsing a physical stash in a LHS rather than looking through an online catalog, but that's just me! ;D

My lhs isn't too bad, it's a 25 min drive and the staff know me and my family. They mainly concentrate on RC stuff though, but they do stock Tamiya, revell, airfix and hasegawa. They can order most stuff I ask for, but at a high price unfortunately. There is something nice about a phone call saying "your kits in and I'll keep it under the counter for you" and as Fruit rightly says you can't beat picking up the kits and have a quick peak inside the box.

OK here are some photos of my LHS. 1, Sign out front, 2.John-the owner ,3 some of the kits(there is alot more), 4 One of the magazine racks, 5. Helpful staff.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Been to Maritime Hobbies many times, great place.

Another great shop is Elm City Hobbies....but then again, I am a little biased when it comes to that opinion!! ;D ;D ;D

I have 3 choices here in the New Orleans, Louisiana area. My favorite is Hub Hobby pretty knowledgeable staff just 3 guys been in the buissness for a few decades it caters to models and trains. Big selection of kits and they have sales when some kits sit for too long. I was hit hard by THE STORM they managed to get in and salvage a few things but lost alot of history. Oneother is Mikes Train shop. Not so many kits there but i can get supplies. Its mostly rc planes and cars and a ton of trains. The last isathe newest and smallest called westbank hobbies place is 90% rc cars the rest is models. Over priced.. they deal with rc mostly and dont know much of the regular plastic kit world.. of course we have have 3 micheals loctions around town but i do not consider it a true hobby shop.. and there is a Hobby Lobby but thats a 30 mile drive across the lake.

Here, we used to have a couple, but the only one really left outside of Hobby Lobby or a chain crafts store, is West Valley Hobbies.
Granted, they cater mostly to the RC guys, but they do still have an excellent selection of plastic kits from most genres.
Heck, it's where I bought my Iron Man MkVI, Black Widow, and some other kits.
They even have Gundam on the shelves.

Latest posts

Back