You have to read this thread.

Glorfindel

Over at another forum there's a battle going on over the use of Aztec decals (wall paper) over painting. It's insane....but interestingly amusing. Yeah I chimed in, but only because the thread needed a bit of comic relief. One poor guy is giving up on modeling completely because some guy said using decals is cheating. Whoa.
My luck all those guys are here and I'll get banned from both forums.
http://www.starshipmodeler.net/talk/viewtopic.php?t=98435&sid=f1df08ef478c2171dffd15bcb3ea5620

For the record I couldn't care either way. I think we as modelers are in this hobby at a time when the options of builds are many and the AM is abundant. With time comes progress. Can you imagine what this hobby will look like in 20 years when most homes will have their own 3D printers?

The best thing in that thread was this link someone posted. It's a review for Phantom Menace. If you haven't seen it sit back with your favorite cold drink....make it several.....and be prepared to split your sides. No joke I almost peed my pants and I'm 46.
http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-wars/star-wars-episode-1-the-phantom-menace/

the reason that PM review.. and the one for clone wars.. and star trek... is so funny.. is because it is true

as for the decals... I certainly couldnt lay them down so they match up and look nice.. I applaud anyone who can or has

lol decals are cheatings?????? that guy needs to come down of his high horse and fast,

huntr said:
the reason that PM review.. and the one for clone wars.. and star trek... is so funny.. is because it is true

as for the decals... I certainly couldnt lay them down so they match up and look nice.. I applaud anyone who can or has

There are reviews for Clone Wars and Star Trek too? From the same site? Oh' I think I know what I'm doing tonight.

Yeah, I've watched all the redlettermedia stuff. They know alot about films and I like their humour. I stopped going to the cinema years ago when it became apparent good stories were making way for special effects and product placement.

I can't view that starshipmodeler website, it asks for a login and I'm too lazy to register, but it sounds like a completely unecessary argument. And yeah, sounds like someone needs to get off their high horse.

My feelings are this:

I am the builder and I will build her up the way I want. Decals or paint is my option. If it looks good to me in the end I am happy.

I have not done either one, decals or aztecing. I do have the 1/1000 refit from round 2, and it will get decals. As for the larger version, the 1/350, that will probably get paint and no decals. The decals that come with that ship are nothing like what was painted for the studio model.

Starship Modeler is my 2nd home. They are a great bunch, and many are visitors here. But as to the arguement, well it is silly. Like a Monty Python skit. ;D

Ah, a new "hollywar"
I remember reading a topic on some forum where old guys blamed the young generation of modelers for using photoetch in terms that "in our times we lived pretty well without this cheaty stuff"
All such posts can be pretty funny to read through, if not the fact that they do really offend innocent guys who just enjoy building models in the way they want and have fun, but then there comes a "super pro who knows everything about model making" and labels them as cheaters and noobs in comparacent to his "unbelievably great skills"

Well, I'm not a member there so I can't see the thread.

No worries as I really don't have to, model forum arguments over such trivial things are nothing new. The internet is full of people with empty lives of little meaning who find great pleasure in forcing their self righteous thoughts and opinions down others throats in an effort to make up for their lonely existence.

The only unfortunate thing is that they are usually the most vocal about so paltry a thing. They are the ones you can always see standing upon their soapboxes like the martyr of styrene, going on and on, waxing lyrical about what is 'right' and 'proper' and yet even though they have thousands of posts on a handful of forums, they usually have little to show...

yawn.

...meanwhile, the majority of people reading their diatribes of self importance are far too busy enjoying their time at the bench to get involved.

95% of my builds are strictly out of the box with the simplest of additions or alterations. I don't care if you decal it or paint it, just pick one and do it and have fun.

Build how you like and like how you build.

Reminds me of a character I remember from back in the days of the rec.models.scale newsgroup - he was a guy who did WONDERFUL, and fascinating work, pretty much all scratchbuilt if memory serves. He was absolutely NOT bashful about vociferously, and frequently, denigrating those of us who start projects from (gasp!) kits as "assemblers," not real "modellers."

Personally, I think that if you don't carve each piece of your model out of solid unobtainum; vacu-form your own canopies; photo-etch your own 1/144 scale crescent wrenches; hand-draw and print your own decals; and grind the pigments for your own home-made paint... you're just not trying hard enough.

I probably don't want to read the thread, because it sounds like part of why I spend as little time at SSM as I do anymore.
A lot of those guys still have fun with what they do.
Many of them suffer from serious AMS and need to step back away from crushing anyone's hopes and hobbies.

And, Glorfindel?
I, for one, will NOT be banning you anywhere

What I will say on the subject is simply this.
"Do what makes YOU, as the modeler, happy." Never let ANYONE tell you differently. Opinions are like certain parts of the anatomy. Everyone has one.

I noticed a bit of that AMS when I was on the other site. I signed up to their forum and this one, and guess which forum has all my posts thus far? I dunno, I just feel more "at home" here. I'm afraid that if I post on the other site I'll get punched in the gut and have my lunch money taken from me just because they don't like the subject of my latest build, LOL!

ClumsyModeler said:
I noticed a bit of that AMS when I was on the other site. I signed up to their forum and this one, and guess which forum has all my posts thus far? I dunno, I just feel more "at home" here. I'm afraid that if I post on the other site I'll get punched in the gut and have my lunch money taken from me just because they don't like the subject of my latest build, LOL!

Maybe a better chance of that at the RI.

Glorfindel said:
ClumsyModeler said:

I signed up over there and haven't posted a thing yet. Took a look around and I wasn't too sure if I wanted to post. Lots of good builds, and I am not sure my building is up to their quality.

Grendels said:
Glorfindel said:
ClumsyModeler said:

I signed up over there and haven't posted a thing yet. Took a look around and I wasn't too sure if I wanted to post. Lots of good builds, and I am not sure my building is up to their quality.

I agree with you John. Posting at (RI), you need to have a "tough skin". Peoples there are "allowed" To speak there minds! And at times, it can be and has been pretty rough. That's one of the reasons why RI was formed! But it's not as bad as (RPF) can Unleash !

I read the post at Starship modelers and it's not Too heavy! I have read some pretty nasty things there...
And they usually get quenched pretty fast! All parties have good points.... but I tend to go with the Assemblers vs. the Artists... On that one! Of course we don't really know what Ticked him off? Probably a bad decision at a show??? A decal job winning over a fully painted job? Who knows?

In order to have a crowd, you need to let all sorts of peoples at the Party So! To the Best model! We only get out of this hobby, what we put in! Right?

Thanks for the Link! It offered some pretty interesting read!

Latest posts

Back