YF-22 Airfix (1992)

gtrane

Plastic,glue and paint! Who knew its so addictive!
Hey guys,

Started modeling again after many years , so bear with me on my builds as I am so to say a new beginner :D

Found Scott and his Scale Model Addict videos on YouTube about little more than a week ago while searching for build tips and tricks to scale models, and got hooked right away :)

Reason I started building again was that I had a few models stacked away since my childhood days that I found, and only recently I was fortunate enough to purchase a decent compressor and airbrush kit...

I started out with cheap 1/144 scale models (Mig 29 and F14) just to get used to the airbrush and different techniques I learned while researching things on the internet (will post some pics up later while I get my image hosting sorted)

Here is a quick snap of my workbench and Models I have lined up and collected over the years to build
(some recently purchased)

Temporary setup : (and my home made spraybooth , prototype 1 , plastic bin, a strong 230Volt extraction fan, and some filter mod)
IMG_9142_zps8a2a797b.jpg

And yup that's me watching Scale model addict on YouTube , catching up on all the videos Scott posted ;D

Model stash:
IMG_9129_zpsa2c45a6e.jpg

Ill try get some photos of the F-22 build on tonight or later this afternoon

YF-22 was a real bad kit from Airfix, with parts not aligning , and moldings were just a mess , but I am using it as a learning curve to use putty, sanding etc...

So any help from you guys will be very much appreciated!

Welcome to the forum. :)

Cool little DIY spray booth.
Looking forward to the YF-22 pictures.

JMac said:
Welcome to the forum. :)

Cool little DIY spray booth.
Looking forward to the YF-22 pictures.

Thanks alot :) we had a massive hail and lightning storm yesterday afternoon and last night and power got cut off to the suburb , will post some pics of the hail later :eek:
At work now , will try get some pics loaded :)

Hail storm yesterday here in Johannesburg South Africa
IMG_9207Medium_zps41802490.jpg
IMG_9206Medium_zps2f4de1af.jpg

Our house luckily did not have any damage, but my friends house above in pic was not.... :-[

Plenty cars damaged as well in the area

This is my first model I have built in almost 15 years, first attempt to airbrushing as well , a Mig 29 1/144 scale by Academy

IMG_8840Medium_zps058b57cb.jpg

2nd attempt was a 1/144 F-14 Tomcat, practicing free hand camo (ghost camo) with airbrush

IMG_9102Medium_zps30bda7a6.jpg
IMG_9108Medium_zps0e016252.jpg

I am using these cheaper models just for practicing different techniques and learning curves
making a lot of mistakes but learning non the less :)

On to the YF-22....

I dont have any pics from the kit before I started building as I started it before I found SMA forum and Scotts videos on Youtube :p

IMG_9162Medium_zpsd2251d6b.jpg

Here you can see hou bad the plastic parts of the intake align
IMG_9161Medium_zpsb98c1f95.jpg

Engine parts being painted and assembled (also testing dry brushing)
IMG_9148Medium_zpsa1f232c5.jpg

Rest of my temporary bench setup
IMG_9165Medium_zps1bf47e5c.jpg

Gluing the body fuselage together was a pain, aligning was a mess and plastic parts were very thin on some parts and thick on other sides , very inconsistent moldings
IMG_9160Medium_zps20bef966.jpg

Canopy dipped in Cobra floor polish (SA`s next best thing to Future)
I have dipped it in future again but this time I added food coloring, mix of green and pink giving me a goldish tint, will get those pics up later
IMG_9147Medium_zpsd88e90a1.jpg

Wings being glued on
IMG_9167Medium_zps56617e10.jpg

Putty on wings and engine , huge caps and alignment issues
IMG_9169Medium_zps0420b6c5.jpg

Wet sanding putty off
IMG_9181Medium_zps04899401.jpg

Where I am at this moment...
IMG_9188Medium_zps6de903b5.jpg

Hopefully I will start getting some paint on this the weekend,
I paint / airbrush with Revell Aqua color as this is the only paint readily available and cheap enough to use,
I also have some Tamiya acrylics , but battle to find places that sell all the colors
Vallejo and other paints are scarce and very expensive ,mostly only available to order online ,and adding shipping just makes it way to expensive to afford
3rd world problems I suppose.... hehe

Will post some more progress as I get time , thanks for watching ! and also any advice , criticism will be appreciated, as I am learning and want to learn more !

SMA`s videos have helped a lot, and also following plenty other modelers on youtube, including Dr Cranky ;D

Quaralane said:
Looks to be coming along nicely.
Nice work with some of those seams

Thanks! I hope it comes out quite well, even though it is a crappy model :p

Couldn't get some paint on it , we had masive storms again and I had to work this weekend, hopefully get some more time during the week to do some work on it

Are the storms and hail typical for South Africa at this time of year? I keep forgetting you're in summer.

Storm interruptions aside, good progress on the F-22.

JMac said:
Are the storms and hail typical for South Africa at this time of year? I keep forgetting you're in summer.

Storm interruptions aside, good progress on the F-22.

Storms are not usually that bad, but this year lightning storms and heavy rain and hail has been bad, a bridge collapsed about 15Km from where I live today because of the rain today , really weird weather we been having.

Thanks , Work is very busy at the moment , hopefully get some more progress the weekend and over the holidays :)

Did not have any time to work on the f-22 the past few weeks due to work, I am finaly on holiday and will get some work done now I hope!

Wishing everyone here on SMA a happy festive season!!

Been Very quiet, ended up working most of the Holiday season,
Going to really try get in some bench time in the weeks to come!

Been moving and sorting out my house, so that has also been a huge time consumer for me :(

Latest posts

Back