XP-51G!

13aceofspades13

lets kick some tires and lights some fires!
i was reading my book "Mustang, the story of the P-51 fighter." and ran across this page about a concept P-51 they made during WWII, for those of you who love WWII fighters, you may get a kick out of this one.

the XP-51G was one of the best, if not the best performing P-51s made, it was only a concept aircraft but they made a few of them. it had a engine that created over 2,000HP and some of them where equipped with 5 blade props, it had a top speed exceeding 490MPH and had a rate of climb of over 5,000fpm capable of reacing 20,000ft in only roughly 3.5 minutes. its service sealing of 46,000ft was only limited beacuse the cockpit was not pressurized!!! :D YAY!

XP-51G.jpg

I'm not an aircraft guy, but that's some cool stats. When did they make them? Was it after the war?

Igard said:
I'm not an aircraft guy, but that's some cool stats. When did they make them? Was it after the war?

i think it was more towards the end of the war... they never went into production beacuse they never really needed them, they also had the P-51H which actually went into production during the Korean war, but that was also just a concept during WWII as well, but it was a little slower and not as good as a performer!

Iconic design. It's amazing what they could build back then. Pales in comparison to what we can do now, but it does make my mind boggle.

@Iguard
yea... its too bad this one never went into production

@
crazy... yes, just imagine if this thing was put into service, what piston powered fighter would be capable of competing with it? jets would even be in danger, it almost goes 500MPH

Latest posts

Back