World of Tanks

Elm City Hobbies

Hey there everyone,

Some of you may know this already, but World of Tanks and a few kit manufacturers have teamed up and the manufacturers are inserting game coupons into their kits.

I got one from my HET kit (which I ended up having to sell anyway, but got to keep the coupon).

On it is 2 codes. One for new users, and one for existing users.

I can't use the new user code, since I am not a new user, so if anyone wants to try out the game, send me a PM, and I will send you the code to set up your account. Starts you off with 2000 gold in the game...which you can use for various items in the game.

How is that game?
I learned about it from the Squadron flyer but I have not had a chance to log on to it.
Is it an online multiplayer only game?

it is online mp only and its like sto free to play but you can sub up if you like teh game

I was an avid player during the open beta but have since become rather disenchanted by the game so take my words with a grain of salt – your mileage may vary...

World of Tanks is an on-line only PvP game. Or rather, it’s actually a team vs. team game, but unless you play in a clan (which you won’t be until you’ve grinded through thousands of matches to get to the end-game tanks) you’ll find that team-play is an impossible pipedream. In random matches it’s every man for himself...

The games biggest flaw, without a doubt, is the match-maker. You can expect to be severely outgunned and outmatches for most of the game. And by that I mean such nonsense as matching Panzer III’s against King Tiger's, IS-1’s and other such nonsense.

Almost as big a flaw is the spotting system. Supposedly this was implemented to simulate how difficult it is to maintain battlefield awareness when holed up in a steel box. Unfortunately, this leads to such stupidity as having big 40+ ton tanks disappearing behind a small bush or, even worse, out in the wide open field.

Finally, as a warning... Do not be fooled by the free-to-play tag. Everything is this game is designed to make you buy gold with which to buy a premium account, ammunition, various equipment, and recently camouflage as well. And once you’ve started down that path you can easily find yourself spending a lot of money per month – way more than a pay-to-play game would cost you...

In short: the game has promise but the execution is fatally flawed.

Why would anyone be fooled by the "free to play"

I have played this game since the middle of the Beta, and haven't spent a cent. Sure it is a slower progress....but still fun none the less.

The coupons in the Hobby Boss kits are a nice bonus, use the gold for whatever you want....either way I still have yet to spend a cent.

Problem I find is that people take the game way too seriously. The only way to replicate what it is like to fight battles in a tank, is to actually fight battles in a real tank....no simulation is going to replicate that for you.

Take the game for what it is, something to waste some time and blast away at the other team, don't take it so seriously and have fun with it.

I’m glad to hear that you’re having fun.

I, on the other hand, am not...

The real problem with this game is that the grind is purposely made just about as painful as it can possibly be. I’m getting really annoyed with being at the bottom of the team each and every match I play. What’s the fun in playing against tanks that I can’t even scratch the paint off?

And with the overhaul of the in-game economy that’s being implemented for 7.2, clearly intended to force people to buy premium accounts and tanks, things are just going to get even worse.

The game claims to be free-to-play but every little detail in the game play itself is clearly designed to push people into buying a premium account and spend all their remaining gold on XP transfer and consumables.

I have a friend who used to play in a clan – he easily used $30 or more each month just to, in his opinion, remain competitive.

No, you don’t have to pay, but everything is designed to make you do so.

Incidentally, my friend hardly plays anymore, having gotten tired of the game. Neither are the other dozen or so people who I knew and played with during the beta. And each and every one of them cited the cost of the game and the painful grind as the reason why they quit.

But as I said, your mileage may vary...

That's how they make there money a lot will spend on it an prob more won't sure it's a pain in the ass but the end of the day there in it to make money

I played a few months back. I didn't mind the grind so much because I found most of the fun was in Tier 1-2 tanks! :D Seriously, I stay in the lower tiers because it's the only way the tanks are balanced to one-another. Anything higher than tier 2, and you get thrown up against tier 5-6 tanks in your little tier 3! Matchmaking is NO fun in this game, though the game itself is a hoot. :)

The Mrs plays as well and has wanted me to build her a few tanks, so I guess this is a good excuse to pick up some Hobby Boss kits!

Yes the matchmaking is off, there is no doubt about that.

I was in the beta, but not long enough that I got set up when the game went live, so all my hard work was wiped out and had to start from scratch, been a slow climb and not up to where I was, but it is still fun.

Concentrating on more on the US side, just got the E2 Sherman, M6 is researched just not enough credits to buy it yet, and I am a couple thousand exp away from researching the M36 Slugger.

I don't mind the grind so much, yeah it is slow, but its free, and you can go on and just blast away.

In the end, it depends on what you are running. My Hetzer, I switched out the faster firing 7.5cm for the slower but more powerful 10.5cm....and it has changed the Hetzer over night. One shot, one kill...love it.

Don't know about the change to the game economics....I just read what they are changing, and it seems like it is for the better, especially for those that play for free.

Read for yourself:

http://worldoftanks.com/news/1088-72-preview-game-economics-changes/

And with free coupons coming in kits, it helps out a fair bit. Will use the coupon items, but still won't pay to play.

Speaking of which, coupon for a new user to get 2000 gold is still available.

Next up....World of Aircraft....I applied to be part of the Alpha game, haven't heard anything back so I suspect I didn't get picked. Hopefully I can get in on the Beta.

After that....is the one I am more waiting for. World of Battleships!

Interesting that the coupons are coming with the Hobby Boss kits. I could have sworn that I saw an ad or an online product listing recently for a Cyber Hobby "World of Tanks" series kit. Pretty sure it was a Panzer chassis, I just dont remember the variant.

I think there are a few companies doing it...first one I saw was on the M1070 HET...but supposed to be in other HB kits, as well as Dragon, Cyber-Hobby, as well as a couple of others apparently.

i didnt have anything like that in any hobbyboss kits i have, mabe it was just for you guys living in the wrong time zone... :p

spud said:
i didnt have anything like that in any hobbyboss kits i have, mabe it was just for you guys living in the wrong time zone... :p

That's what you get for buying from Lucky Model! ;D ;D ;D

But seriously....are your kits sealed when they arrive? Most coming into the US aren't and it is up to the importers to seal them...so I have a feeling that they are getting inserted into the boxes after they arrive in the US at the importers.

Latest posts

Back