Workbench Update: August 2012 - Part 1

LT. jg Richard Dunnette Link flew PBM's during WWII after training in Corpus Christi on PBY's. Mr. Link's 91st birthday is Monday September 3rd and I have the honor of building this for him in markings similar to the a/c he trained in.

I finished the primer yesterday morning before work and did pre-shade and top coat tonight. My light gray for the bottom coagulated for some reason so I'll deal with that in the morning. That, a few decals, and the fiddly bits and we're done.

One thing about this kit. Make sure the horizontal stabs are straight when you build yours. :-[

20120824_28.jpg

20120824_27.jpg

20120824_23.jpg

20120824_22.jpg

Man I've got some catching up to do...

The PBY Catalina looks great, pre-shade and all. From the pictures I can't see any problems with your horizontal stabilizers. Decals, decals, decals... :)

Jason

More tidy work there Jim :) The PBY looks great ,the preshade worked perfectly !! ,not long now ;D

Chris.

Yeah, you made some quick strides on this one Jim! No pressure on this build eh!?! Really nice job, it looks great!!

Thanks guys, she does go together quick although to be honest I did not spend a whole lot of time on the interior. Interior green and black panels with a drybrush of light gray and that was it. Engines were sprayed black and the crankcases hand painted gray. At this time she is complete except for the guns and glass. :p The guns are built and painted and the clear parts fogged on me when I rinsed them. Dummy me putting clear parts that were dipped in future into mild soapy water. i know better and did it anyway. :mad: Not hard to fix, just brush more future onto them without getting it on the frames. Easy right? :p

photobucket-32113-1346195103900.jpg

She is looking fantastic, defiantly a kit I wouldn't mind working on one day. Btw whats the scale wing span on her? Looks like it might have to be a ceiling hanger in my house.

Holden said:
She is looking fantastic, defiantly a kit I wouldn't mind working on one day. Btw whats the scale wing span on her? Looks like it might have to be a ceiling hanger in my house.

Thanks Holden, She 1/48 scale with a span of about 26" or so. Not much smaller than the 4 engine bombers. She had to carry a lot of gas.

looking at the fuselage, if you were to shave off the tail and reappropriate it elsewhere, it would make a great Kitbash submarine.....add some milliput and other scratchbuild supplies and itd look like something right out of a book. I may have to take a whack at it :)

Latest posts

Back