Work benches, a new topic?

Kryptosdaddy

There are alot of new builders coming on to this site now and some are trying to figure how to begin the sometimes overwhelming task of building a work area, i looked for a thread on this but couldn't find one, and really i dont know where to put one? Chit Chat?

I for one do not mind sharing mine for the curious, and i think others would participate- any ideas welcome. Thanks CR ;D

Building a work area?

I assume you mean a thread to share whatever you are building, or a WIP (Work in Production)

Simply just start a new thread in the appropriate section (armor in the armor section, aircraft in the aircraft section, etc, etc), and go to town.

I presume you mean where we build our kits if so have a look in chit chat there is a sticky called man caves in there, that will give you some ideas, Also grendals is building a new room soon and he will share it with us im sure,

My take on this thread was sharing ideas when it comes to the physical area modelers work in; i.e. work benches, tool organization, safe spray painting, convenient locations for first aid kits... etc.

I'll post here once I take a decent picture of my bench... wait for it, it involves pegboard!

Yes i was talking about our work areas, where we build our kits ect. if you want to start it here I'm game for that.

well, I do have a image in the man cave thread, BUT, as I am a designing a new house to be built soon having a dedicated "work area" is something I am working on.

Some of the things I have already decided on are.

NO fricking carpet! and a light colored floor or mat around the bench.

Consider getting a spray booth, I bought my paasche spray booth as one of the last things I bought, I should have done that a LOT sooner. It is so nice to have a booth.

High praise for the Otte light, for bringing illumination to the subject.

Currently I use a plastic folding table and my computer desk or drafting board while functional they are not ideal. For the new place, I am considering the benches made by Craftsman, simple because they are fairly inexpensive and have a wide range of counter top choices.

I realize that some of this is expensive but after 30 years of making do, I really want a dedicated area were I can work and leave thing sit and not be disturbed.

I work at my roll top desk. Also pay my bills from it too so you can say it multi-tasks. As for my tools and supplies I keep the most used ones on my desk in two glass jars. Anything out of the ordinary then I open up the closet door where I keep four tool boxes with different items in each. The first has all modeling supplies. It's jammed to the kilt with stuff. The second is for electronics. The third houses all my modeling paints and weathering supplies. May have to invest in a larger box as all the AK stuff I recently purchased may have pushed it over the brim. Lastly the fourth holds a boat load of Oil paints and brushes. I used to do traditional oil painting on canvas and still from time to time get inspired. No sense in tossing the stuff out since I have dumped a small fortune into all of it over 30+ years and now has a second life as a great source for oil filters and washes for my models. So you can say they double dip.

I think workspaces/work benches kind of evolve on their own. I started working at my kitchen table then got a folding table for a spare room, then a desk etc. I think the space will take on a mind of its own and grow with the artist. ;D

yea they sure do grow..... i went for a four foot desk to replacing the top with a seven foot top.. and no i still need more room :D

I'm at the same crossroad. Spent some time flipping through the posts of others work stations in here. They are as customed and variend as the personalities that use them. Some great "benchmarking" though if you are looking to integrate solid ideas into your own design. A good workbench...is the foundation of good craftsmanship. I learned this when I finally built a workbench for my woodshop. You can download a litanny of craft bench plans from the internet where your costs is simply nothing more than materials and time.

Bullnosed 2x4's, 4x4 bracing, some decent carpentry skills and about 5" of MDF and you've got a workbench that will last longer than the house you put it in. Or your back trying to move it.

Peg boards great and local hardware stores have an endless pick of modular storage options you can use on peg board.

Look online for DIY ideas. I find that modelers are inherently good woodsmiths and can make some pretty amazing furniture instinctively and with quality assembly. It's Man Council approved too!

Latest posts

Back