[WIP] Trumpeter 1/72 - Westland Wyvern S4

Ok guys I've hit a snag. I'm planning to build the model with its wings folded down. The large wing section that folds is located to what I'm calling the wing root stub (the piece I already have glued in place) by two small rectangular pins / wing. My problem is;

1. the instructions are not clear as to the correct orientation of the pins
2. I could not think of a good method to test fit the two wing halves with the pins
3. wings don't fit together after I glued the pins in place.

It seems either I guessed wrong, or I glued the pins in correctly & the assembly has locations with ton of slop in it or way to tight in others. It's going to take me awhile to work this out. My current plan is to shim some spots with layers of sytrene and scrape others to size.

WayneBT - if you're reading - did you have similar issues on your 1:48 build? and If so - what was your solution?

When you posted pictures of your sub assemblies. A few weeks ago..... We can see the two wings you must attach..... But if you take a picture with the fit problem, it would help us understand your dilemma.

I used only one pin on each wing. If I used the 2 pins the wing wouldn't line up right. I sed one and then put the wing together. Some of the upper wing over laps but make sue the lower half of the wing lines up and it should work out.

I suppose describing the parts as the "wha-cha-ma-call-it" and "thingee" would not really work either. ;D

Oh well here's a picture. the offending posts are shown sticking out of the wing in the assembly shown on the left, the holes they mate with are in the assembly shown on the right. The hole closest to the wing leading edge is too small and the hole closer to the trailing edge is too large.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Wayne -thanks. Quick question how did you ensure the position of the wings while your glue was setting?

I held it with my hands. Tamiya's thin liquid glue creates a good hold very quickly. I swear by it, and it doesn't fog clear pieces either.

Hey guys a bit of an update. I got the wings on, not to bad, a little shimming, a little open up the holes and a lot of holding the parts by hand (Thanks Wayne). The first side turned out great, the second side has a very small mismatch (attack of my gorilla thumbs).

The under side. I've a few small areas to fill-in (you can see I've started with my putty & sheet styrene). I'm planning to also fold-n-glue a few PE parts right away.

What ever was the problem.... I don't see it! So, Job well done!

The Bird looks like she should! You are in the home stretch ! Keep going!

Looking forward toyour next update!

Norm.

Depending on where the gaps are, the drop tanks, if you are putting them on, will cover some of the gap. I know it did on mine. It is looking good.

Thanks Wayne, I've been away for a while. But I'm back to it, got started on the torpedo.

Hey guys,

I'm back on this build since I finished up my mecha GB build. I've been mainly working on the smaller sub assemblies; the PE for the torpedo gave me tons of grief (tiny, tiny parts, that either would blow away or bend & crush). Wheels are done. 60 lb rockets need a little cleaning up. ROTOG assemblies need some cleaning up & PE. Kinda accidentally glued the prop assembly in the wrong spot and now I have more limited ability to move the two sets relative to each other. Oh well - it's a static model right.

Hoping to keep the momentum going over the holidays and finish up this and at least one other WIP. Thanks for looking.

JMac

All of the sub-assemblies are put together. Just masking everything off right now. I'm hoping to prime the works this afternoon (along with a couple other models that have been waiting in the wings for paint).

JMac

Here's a picture of everything primed. I plan to start painting this and my Me 262 tomorrow.

After practicing on my Me 262 build and switching airbrushes (from my Paashe H to my Iwata), I got the preshading done(ish). It's tricky and I need more practice with a double action airbrush.

I'm a little nervous about starting on the stripes, and have a question;

Normally I paint all my light colours first then move to the darker colours last. Then I do the all-over colours and mask off details - but I think that the preshade won't show thru. Would you mask off and do the yellow for the stripes first or the sky first? Well, I guess that's two questions...

tru_Wyvern-Color.jpg

Thanks Steve.

Sorry Quaralane - I just finished painting the stripes (I thought it was a good idea at the time - now not so sure). We'll see how that turns out tomorrow after the base coat.

I just took off the masking. I did not trust the tape I was using, it's a different brand than I normally use (it just happened to be kicking around the house). The tape felt really sticky so I did not want to leave it on the model too long for fear of lifting the paint.

The stripes turned out fairly nice - I'm happy with them, and the little bit of pre-shade that is showing through the yellow. I was planning to base coat the model today; but since I'm going to have to remask the stripes again - I'm going to let everything sit and dry until tomorrow. Beside it gives me a chance to go see Tron again.

The only thing that has really gone wrong so far is the cable arrester hook broke off when I was painting. It's long gone and I can't find it - so I'll make a new one later.

JMac

Latest posts

Back