[WIP] Trumpeter 1/35 Faun SLT-56 Tank Transporter {Franziska}

This is incredible this kit looks soooooo good. Another kit on my wish list! Can't wait to see more...

wow thats a lot of metal where is the plastic lol scratch building the model from brass i see ;) just a little joking around but on the serious side it is looking great so far looking forward to seeing the rest

Thanks for the kind words guys !

Well.... after a few weeks away from this kit..... I wanted to Call it quit ! well, quit on the brass part of it !

So I started to work on the kit again Friday night ! and I wanted to correct the Tow Cable issue I mentioned on a previous post... So I cut away the two Cable Eye and Crossed the cable as seen on the a picture I posted ! It may look ODD to some of you but it is How it is done on the real thing... as I mentioned before, those cables are large and hard to bend ! It is too bad the Rope Trumpeter has given us is Fuzzy!

I might switch to a Nylon type later on... if I can't get that Fuzz under control... I know that painting it might bring down a few whiskers... but that remains to be seen !

DSC08218_resize.jpg

DSC08222_resize.jpg

I also installed a Roof Liner and a Cabin Liner.... I am not done with it.... the Edward set is good but not easy to work with.... The Cab details are nice but too much Carving and filling !!! I will only use the strict minimum.... or I'll never get ahead on this build !

DSC08220_resize.jpg

I also started work on the Trailer.... Story to get away from the Brass !!! I was excited to start it and to see how well it fitted together ! Once again Trumpeter has Rushed things...

DSC08211_resize.jpg

The Top deck is nice and has crisp details ! while the underside... which is fully visible, will need special sanding to eliminate all those Huge Ejector pin marks.... no kidding, they are the size of a 10cents Can. or US $ so... I will reserve a special evening just for that...

DSC08214_resize.jpg

DSC08213_resize.jpg

The Goose neck as it stands now... and isn't finished !!! is comprised of over 20 pieces... I would have liked Trumpeter to take the time to make better decisions about how each parts would be machined and placed in the molds...

Some parts are littered with ejector pin marks.... on the detailed side and are Smooth as a baby's Bum. on the Unseen side.... and some are deep pin marks...! at first I thought I was putting them upside down ??? thinking... that can't be right ? those ejector pin marks ought to be inside the structure, so I can't see them... but no !

DSC08215_resize.jpg

DSC08216_resize.jpg

DSC08219_resize.jpg

I'll let you see some more of the Trailer later on.... going to try working on the Axles... tonight !
only 6 plus suspension and Steering ! should be fun !

But first I must Sand all those Huge Ejector Pin Marks on the bottom part of the trailer !

Progress is Slow ! and not just to make it harder... I started a Fw190 D and P51 Mustang in 48th. for a Local Club build we have going.... I think I am Over Taxing my Free time !

Wow, that looks fantastic Norm. I really enjoy checking in on this build, you're doing a great job.

schweinhund227 said:
Progress is Slow ! and not just to make it harder... I started a Fw190 D and P51 Mustang in 48th. for a Local Club build we have going.... I think I am Over Taxing my Free time !

Ah, the chagrin of a modeller - too manys WiPs. Lots of time to finish this one, and it's a better situation than not having enough time. :)

i can understan why there was so many ejection pins needed for such a large piece as the bed and such large ones as well i am sure you will win in the end ;) as far as the cables go have you looked at picture hanging wire it is cheap and has a nice look to it as far as replicating cable

Thanks guys....

I have sanded down the large ejector pin marks..... And then proceeded with the assembly
of the six axles... If you think it is sometimes hard to keep 4 tires down on the ground... Just
Imagine trying to keep 24 of them.... LoL. I ended up placing my big pzh 2000 on the trailer and so far
The wheels are at level... Maybe the loosness of the final assembly is there for something? Yeah! I am finding the fit of the wheels assemblies kind of loose... So if you build yours... Just be aware it will
Look and feel that way! As long as the tires are lined up.... I'll keep my impressions to myself.

I will feed you pictures at a later time... I am still addind suspension details and so far it looks good
But, there is a but! Trumpeter as omitted the steering linkage which should have been connecting
The steering arms that are molded under the trailer... You add 3 steering actuators but it stops there and you move on to the axles....? I am sure a few evergreen rods could do! And will probably go that way!

It's not like anybody would know?

One point I want to pass on! The trailer surface has tracks guide blocks... If you plan to use it with
A large fleet of vehicles..... Don't glue those blocks yet! Measure the tracks width of all your German AFV and choose the proper width as there are 3 different positions which can empeed which vehicles you will be able to display on the trailer.... If you glue those in the wrong holes.... Just be aware!

Later guys!

Norm. Out.

That looks like quite a job so far, nice work. 8)

I'm glad I decided on something simple to start with, with so much to do I bet that one will take a while - but worth it ;D

Here are the Pictures I promised ! I am fighting a Huge Flu ! Yuk ! I sure didn't want that so early in the Fall season ! Bad Omen !

Anyhow ! I have compiled 2 shots of the Large Ejector Pin marks I Sanded down ... underneath the Trailer !
They sanded away pretty well ! a little Buffing with a Scuffing pad will polish the plastic back to normal... I didn't do that yet !!!

aftersanding.jpg

I also took a shot of that Steering mechanism, that has not been completely reproduced by Trumpeter! maybe an Oversight ? or budget cuts...? Who knows ? and who really cares...? LOL
I might add a few Evergreen rods in there just to fill the blanks... its pretty obvious that somethings are missing !

steeringprobexplained.jpg

Then comes the Track Guide Blocks on the Bed ! Leave that step until the END !!! they will have to be matched to the Type of vehicle you will be showing off on your Trailer ! if you glue them down you may not be able to Display all your Cool German AFV collection as intended ??

DSC08234_resize.jpg

DSC08236_resize.jpg

Take care guys..... Now more Flu Drugs for me !!! and off to Bed I go !

Later.

Norm.

Just stopping by to let you guys know that I haven't stopped working on the "Franziska".

Being what this kit is..... Huge and complicated! I am pushing ahead.... Ever so slowly....
New pictures coming soon!

Good to hear Norm. I'm really enjoying your build thread - looking forward to the update pictures.

just dropping a Quick shot of the Model in its present state.... of Flux !

I have so much pipping to install it's not funny ! But I'lll get there.... eventually !

She is a BEAST !!!

DSC08563_resize.jpg

The Leo2 is a Hobby Boss Leo 2A6M sort of !!! MTF Need some fixing !!!

See ya later guys !

Looks really good. I have the same kit with photo etch as well. Will takle it one day once I invest in one of those etch mates to bend the photo etch.

On another topic, I can't wait when Hobby Boss brings out the Oshkosh Tank Transporter. Won't have to 2nd mortage the house on buying the Resin Kit from Accurate Armour!!

Seeing the photo of it there on the cabinet it is scarily big!

Look forward to the next progress 8)

Now try doing all that in 1/72 scale.

Also if i remember correctly there are no tie rods for the steering on the front cab.

This Kit has once again FALLEN into the Dead Zone !!!

I haven't touched it in Weeks... I mean WEEKS !!!

I don't know why it's dragging... I am so close !!! yet so far ! it's the winter blues !!!
I want to do everything and nothing !

So... I hope to get Energized again about finishing this BEAST !!! the Camo will take a Good chunk out of the Remaining work !!! I haven't installed HALF of the Photoetch that suppose to be on the kit... and I can't see the reason to put it on... as Most of the parts you are suppose to replace are Just Fine !!! in Styrene and Just plain FLAT in photoetch !! I seriously think Trumpetter and LionRoar have tried too Hard to make this kit the ULTIMATE tank transporter kit !!! which also tells me ! that I might have Chewed a lot more than I could take !!! LOL and Yes... the Big Oshkosh Tank transporter is also Calling my Name... but !!! after this one.. I might have to pass over !!! I still have a Tamiya Dragon Wagon to finish ! and it has been boxed since 2000 ! finished and base coated ! but nothing since !!! Don't know why I keep doing this to myself ??? maybe it's a Modeller Disease ?

When I get bored of a Kit... there isn't much I can do to Get excited about it again !

So ! Wish for lots of SUN and warmer Weather !!!

and HO ! I have another Trumpeter Faun in my Stash !!! LOL brand new ! I better find a new owner !
cause I won't go thru that again !!! LOL

Norm.

OUT !

If i had the cash id take that extra Faun off youand any extra PE sets. But alas im not in a position to do so .

Latest posts

Back