[WIP] Trumpeter 1/35 Faun SLT-56 Tank Transporter {Franziska}

schweinhund227

Well after a full day ! I give up !!! LOL
I mean I have enough for one day !!!

I made the mistake to buy a Lion Roar Photo-etch detail set ! Wow my God !!! The kit was hard enough on its own !!! I just added yet another kit in itself on top of it !!! LOL

DSC08000_resize.jpg

I managed to make all all the suspension and added the biggest sheet of Photo etch I ever worked on !
after sanding down all the details... and concentrated on Erasing the Sink holes and Ejector pin marks underneath the fender area !
DSC07995_resize.jpg

some would cover it in mud but... those machine are usually pampered ! and kept up !
so.... I made a little tool to erase them more efficiently !

I used a scriber impaled on a tiny piece of a Rough Sanding Stick ! rocking back and forth till the marks were all but gone !!!
DSC08003_resize.jpg

I later polish the surface with a piece of Green scrubbing pad and that blended it pretty well ! a little mud and road dust will hide the rest !

Trumpeter has problems with those Huge Ejector pin marks.... sometime they are good at Hiding them and others... well.... you know what I mean !

DSC07996_resize.jpg

DSC07997_resize.jpg

After some sanding.... and yes.. .some more Green scrubbing pad polishing, the part will look better and will draw less attention, Maybe ? Sink holes or Pin marks are not a welcomed sight !!! even between friends !!!

Anyway....I got a year to play around this beast of a kit !!! I'm just glad this day is behind me !!! but I should have never bought that P.E. set !!! what a monster !!! 6 sheets wow !!! what was I thinking ?

I'll try to take some more shots today while I'm building. I just un-boxed my etch mate to help with will some large P.E. Sub assembly today.

I did the same sanding technique on all the axles and will be polishing the seams to blend it in better.
The weld seam or real mould lines are ground smooth on the real vehicles. So... No seams!!

DSC07999_resize.jpg

With all those AIR brakes parts.... I will have to find more info on how to wire it!! Or at least make it look Like its wired.

DSC07993_resize.jpg

MTF.

I have this kit as well, and thought about getting the PE set for it....I know there are 2 of them, one by Voyager as well, both are massive PE sets.

Will be looking forward to this build, and see the pitfalls of the kit!!

Yeah ! Photoetch galore! That does't always mean better details!!! I am going thru both sets of instructions to identify when to upgrade or just keep the trumpeter stuff.... I have shaven some little details only to swap it for a lesser PE detailed piece! After a while, you endup asking why?

Sure there is a lot of good grilles or mesh or diamond plates to swap around but there is a limit!

I find there are PE parts that are so tinny that once freed from the fret. They can't hardly be manipulated and put on the kit.... Too flimsy or just too flat.... So!

I will progress and pick my battles with this kit. Just so to find the right balance between
Details and my sanity! Because I choose to try to get some PE done today.... I have almost nothing to show for ! A weird feeling! After all that tedious work!

I feel like am assembling one of those dragon 3 in 1 kits.... Some will understand! How crowded and difficult those instruction sheet can be.... The constant going back and forth is... Hard work, making sure I don't assemble something I later would have to sand down or cut away....

All I can say, is that little sanding contraption I've made works great! All my underside ejector pin marks are gone.

Take care and for those seeking info on that large PE set.... Stay tune! I'm sure I'll post pictures of how much I will leave behind.....

schweinhund227 said:
I find there are PE parts that are so tinny that once freed from the fret. They can't hardly be manipulated and put on the kit.... Too flimsy or just too flat.... So!

I will progress and pick my battles with this kit. Just so to find the right balance between
Details and my sanity! Because I choose to try to get some PE done today.... I have almost nothing to show for ! A weird feeling! After all that tedious work!

I feel like am assembling one of those dragon 3 in 1 kits.... Some will understand! How crowded and difficult those instruction sheet can be.... The constant going back and forth is... Hard work, making sure I don't assemble something I later would have to sand down or cut away....

I sympathize. The number of tiny details can be over whelming, and if you’re working on a big set, timing assembly and cutting pieces can be an issue as you jump from one instruction sheet to another.
I think you have found a good detail/sanity balance and it looks great with the details you have added so far.

Here are some shots to support my previous post !

DSC08017_resize.jpg

This is where I stand.... as we speak ! I want to hit some styrene soon !!! but most of the time !!! when I do.. I need to cut it off and Sand the details smooth to accomodate some Crazy P.E. piece...

DSC08019_resize.jpg

Those really small parts are not going to make it on the Kit... I would rather cut some round evergreen stock, cut flush to the surface and sand to the desire thickness than... try to manipulate a fleck like this...!

God knows how many of those little bits this LionRoar kit contains... must be a similarity the Voyager kit shares with the LionRoar set !!!

DSC08016_resize.jpg

Some details are to die for !!!! like those Side Steps.... Very fragile. I might add !!!

DSC08014_resize.jpg

DSC08012_resize.jpg

The Dash board is pretty slick !!! with some Film sandwich between layers of Brass.... More gizmos are to come.... Knobs and switches and Liquid rubber will be dabed on the dials prior to painting... don't worry !

DSC08011_resize.jpg

DSC08007_resize.jpg

DSC08020_resize.jpg

This Radiator unit sits on top of a Whinch Motor.... some sort of Hydraulic fluid intercooler !! I presume.
only 17 parts for this Assy. alone... More Tubing have to be added later on... but man... !!!

I will either luv this kit or Hate it !!! I better make it shine !!! LOL ! it's true it shines enough as it is !!! with all that brass !!! LOL

I have often wondered whether to go for the Lion Roar or Voyager sets....in the end, I don't think it matters either way....either set will make you go bald!! LOL

Elm City Hobbies said:
I have often wondered whether to go for the Lion Roar or Voyager sets....in the end, I don't think it matters either way....either set will make you go bald!! LOL

LOL ! So ! that's what happening to me ??? Man oh man !!!

Dude! That PE is crazy! ;D It's truely making it 'POP!" Looking awesome! This is goona look wicked when it's all done and painted.
Keep it up!

schweinhund227 said:
This is where I stand.... as we speak ! I want to hit some styrene soon !!! but most of the time !!! when I do.. I need to cut it off and Sand the details smooth to accomodate some Crazy P.E. piece...

LOL! PE is a whole different aspect isn't it? :) Having fun yet??

I did some work on this project in the last few days.....among other things, I have been seriously thinking about leaving the photo etch set in the box! And only taking the parts that will benefit
The overall look. This lion roar set is all made for quantity! Not 100% satisfaction!

I will come back with some pictures later... They are still in the camera! And show you where I stand
On this.

If some of you have a good link or video on how to make seat belt and buckles for trucks! I would like to see it. Cuz this kit came with none! I am pretty sure this baby has 2 sets with shoulder straps.

Anyway! Take care and I'll post pix later tomorrow !

pretty sad hey ?

Well I just received YET another Photo Etch Fret by Mail.... Full Cab interior from Edward ! I had totally forgotten about it... impusle Ebay purchases !!! got to hate those !

only Paid 10$ Can. for it ! vs. 35$ in town !!! Sorry LHS ! but if you gouge me ! I reserve the right not to buy ! right ?

and Hold and be Told ! Seat belts there is ? Yes ! Finally some good news !

I will end up with a lot of spares... and will be able to pass it on to my Other Faun ! which I might try to convert to a Canadian Variant... just before we sold them back to the Germans ! in late 1990's

I remember while being part of the Closing team for CFB LAHR and seeing all the 8CH Leo's departing by Trains... all our 5 Ton trucks and 10 Ton Trucks sold to some Dutch Drilling Firm.... what a day !

anyway... those Army days are long gone.... LOL

Here are some shots of where I stand on this project ! I might revert to the plastic Fenders on the back... as those Brass ones are way too flimsy ! I mean floppy flimsy... I might stick a little Evergreen styrene underneath there for strengthening... but the Styrene ones didn't have any defects... why did I do this to myself...?

Anyway... ONE point ! To NOTE for those of you with the KIT !!! the Tow cables are glued on their anchor point at the rear ! but this Gauge of Tow Cable can not be BENT that much !!! in real life ! they are anchored in the opposite locking block ! which makes them over lap each-other a little ! once you compare the kit to the real shot... you will understand !

so I will Cut off my assembly and pull on the winches a little for slack and re-Glue the Ends on the opposite anchor block as seen in REAL picture...

Bild028_2g.jpg

The Kit instruction wanted them Wired this way !!! which is Not customary !!! very easy to do with a tinny Rope !!! but with a full size Steel Cable... Humm I think not ?
DSC08047.jpg

DSC08049.jpg

DSC08045.jpg

I have also reached a New STAGE where I need to drill and install a gazillion little Tubes ! made of Transformer wire ! you know the type of Copper wire that's coated with a Varnish !

so... I'll take my time here !!! so that I get most of it done !!! and move on to the next step !
I might need a little Bending tool of some kind ! small springs and a bending block to get nice bends and not KINKS !!! Yeah... I give up Photo Etch for a WIRING JOB; all those Air tanks and Air Brake lines... and Hydraulics ! electrical ! oh my !
its going to be daunting but Should be cool at the same time!!!

I spotted a set of tiny gauge Coated wires at Micheal's mainly used for Jewelery I think??? but they have different Gauges and colors... maybe it will help ? but first I need to go and buy it !
and some solder wire as well... the thin stuff it's good for that as well... the 60/40 kind
which is easily drilled and you can slide the ends over a tiny pin ! the Flux Core is great for that !!!
take it out.. makes a little tube.. and slide over a anchor pin and Voila !

Catch you guys later !

PS: I want to thank those guys are "panzer-Modell.de" for the picture...
its in german but if you go to their website and hit the Referenzen button and ACtion or In detail button you will be pleased !!!

take care !

Norm.

out !

Latest posts

Back