[WIP] Tamiya T72 M1 Russian Tank 1:35

Thanks for the replies. I'm really getting excited about this build!

schweinhund227 said:
and a superb winter cam net.

They now sell them! Looks like a huge decal sheet! You soak it and while it's lifting off the
Carrier film, you flick a few pre cut parts to give it form.... Canadian and German tank
Luvers will go nuts on this stuff!! Russians too!

Can't remember the company name but will come back later if I find it!

Norm, did you ever remember this? Anyone?

I'm wondering if cheese cloth might work - or gauze as mentioned in Ken's video.

One other question - I think I'll put a winter white wash on this. Any links to techniques for painting a 'modern' one. I've found lots of techniques for a WWII whitewash, however the modern ones look different, more opaque. See attachment (it's a model though - might be misleading me)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Not sure of it Scott.... but I am pretty sure its from ECHELON

yeah Echelon Modern Camouflage Nets.... Sweet mother of God ! its Pretty !

Modern-Camouflage-netting1.jpg

EC-D356070_MED.jpg

Winter cam nets are not... like Summer Cam nets..... the summer ones are a MESH with Vulcanized Leafs strings that look like Foliage once Draped over a vehicle....

41CzWOmElBL.jpg

Winter Camo is.... a CLOTH with small Holes... not all holes are complete holes... Like Half Holes !!! which gives it a Funny texture ! Some Solid and some with Green or dark colors that pokes thru it !

Looks like Fresh Snow on some Evergreen trees !

1109080430_22_T_LA.JPG

Anyway.... Don't use Cheese cloth plz ! it won't look right ! and YES>.... Check your references as
Each Army around the world uses different Types of Cam Nets.... it would be SAD to ruin a nice kit with
a Cam net from the Opposing side !!! unless it's from a Long Conflict ! which we never heard of ! LOL

Take care !

Norm

OUT !

Sweet! Thanks. I gotta see about getting one.

I'm going for this:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Scott Girvan said:
Sweet! Thanks. I gotta see about getting one.

I'm going for this:

Not so sure that is a cam net perse, could be...but looks more like a roll of white canvas or something similar.

Aves would do the trick....put some saran wrap over the turret of the tank, roll out your Aves really thin, place it over where you want it on the tank, and viola...let it dry, paint and weather.

Cheese cloth cam nets are ok for rolled up ones, or something shoved into a turret bin, but spread out over a tank, it just doesn't look right. Verlinden make a few nets, as well Echelon...not so sure that their nets are on the market yet. I know they have some Barracuda cam nets, but they are basically a big decal sheet that have to be put onto another material, and then all the holes cut out of it. Long and laborious process!

It's like it's a heavy white cloth tarp with speckles. I think putty could do the trick too. I love the camo netting but I agree, in that photo it doesn't look like it's a net...

I did find the echelon ones on sprue bros site - they're like $16US. I'd rather try a DIY solution than spend $ that I don't have.

Fun, fun, fun. I love coming back to a build and getting so into it!

Scott! What you see on your Finnish T72 is that White Camo "Tarp" with the holes in it!!!
Like in my last post.... To make that out of Putty or other medium is possible but!

I will let you experiment! You never fail!

Like your second photo - yeah.

I'll experiment. Need a tiny bed of nails....

Thanks for the vote of confidence - we'll see!

[Crappy webcam pics]

This weekend I started working on a tree - not exactly sure if it will end up in this build but I will have some trees in this...

Wrap wire around dowel, twist, repeat. The blue stuff is a test (not glued on) with furnace filter for the secondary branches - not the foliage. That's another step.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

Next step is to give it some mass with a glue/plaster/sawdust mixture. I'm going to soak a few dowel and attempt to bend then - so that the trunk isn't so pole like.

I glued a few parts on the tank hull but nothing worth photographing.

Too bad you dIdnt want to make a evergreen type tree!

They grow straight and super tall in Europe! anyway, the black forest in Gemany was very impressive.

But I like where you are going!

Keep up the good work!

Thanks. I'll be trying some evergreens next. This is more to learn how to model a tree than for this build..but I'll put them together.

Making sawdust tonight. Fun.

No, but I"m gonna.

I took a look through some of my unfinished threads here and it kinda fired me up. So I revisited this build to find that I was about 10 minutes from having the build up complete. I spent about 9 minutes on this tonight, lol. All that's left are 2 pieces that require tiny holes to be drilled, the two cable and fuel lines.

3496.jpg

3497.jpg

So I"ll get this ready for printer and post again when I get there.

King Tiger is still in the box. Never started. Ugh.

Friulmodel tracks....nah, not this time. They are awesome but I don't wanna spend any money. I want to finish this up pretty soon though, try out some AK Interactive products.

And yeah, I dabble quite a bit. LOL.

Latest posts

Back