[WIP] Revell 1/48 A-37 Dragonfly

I can guaranty you! Making your own mould + 1 copy will run you more expensive than buying
A new kit!

There not many clear resins that can mimic clear styrene and degassing clear resin
Will necessitate a vacuum pot (and or) pressure pot! And the results are less than satisfying.

You should try thru your LHS to find out if their distributor can help you locate or order a new clear fret for that kit... You could be in luck? You never know!

I like your progress so far! Keep up the good work.

I'll second what Norm said, try the LHS or even look for info on the Revell instructions, sometimes all they need is a photo of the broken part or a scan of the receipt and they will ship you a replacement sprue.

Keep up the great work!

You can go on Revell USA's website and get parts, should be fairly straight forward.

The kicker will be if they still have parts for that kit, or if it is still in production....

Here's where i'm sitting now.
DSC01363.jpg
DSC01364.jpg
Pretty much just need the paint to dry enough before masking, then i can finally get to the paint.
...speaking of paint, I just noticed a peice i forgot to put into the cockpit. :mad:
The grey piece by the chopstick at the top of the first pic. Well, it's just gonna have to wait until i finish the outside. Hopefully then I can seperate the canopy. It's just basically white glue. ::) :-[

Thanks everyone for checking it out. :)

Well, today I realized that I forgot ‘2’ parts for the cockpit.
Here’s where I’m at now, I painted the lower gray. I went over the red I had on for the intake covers. The red misted into one of the wing gear bays. So I’m just gonna hand brush the covers.
After drying, I masked the bottom and such. I just got the brown down today, gonna get to one of the other colors tomorrow.

DSC01368.jpg
DSC01369.jpg

Thanks for checking it out. :)

Thanks.

Well, i was going to get to the green, however, my compressor decided to crap out on me again. It can't handle very low psi. So, I'm going with the tank.

If i have this thought through correctly....

Compressor -> Moisture trap -> hose -> tank -> hose -> pressure regulator ->AB

i can have my comp set to 56 psi (max) and fill the tank, then set my regulator at what ever low pressure I want, then when the tank hits 37 psi (comps restart pressure level) the comp will refill the tank to 56psi. Right?

What's happening now, is that the piston is jumping off the motor shaft from jerky start and stops. if it has to refill the tank from 37 to 56 psi it will take longer and the 'jumping off' won't happen. Right?

OK! So I’m back up and running again!
I hooked the Compressor up to an air tank.
Comp -> New moisture trap -> Hose -> Tank -> Hose -> Pressure Gage/regulator -> Air Brush.
DSC01380.jpg
It works great. However, there is a slight air leak from the connection to the tank. Something to do with the manifold(?). Anyhoo, it’s only ever so slight.
I did some tests with an old kit and things are working soooo much better. Now my compressor won’t konk out on me when I’m painting. It’s not ‘perfect,’ or pretty, but it works.

So, now, I just got the first green onto the Dragonfly.
DSC01377.jpg
I noticed in the picture that the right wing wasn’t completely covered with paint, (my bad). I fixed up it so it looks much better now.

Cheers.

Ok, major painting is done, just a few details to do yet.
The camo isn’t…exactly the same curves and such, but it’s looks fine to me. Actually, this is my first SEA (South East Asia) paint scheme. I need to redo the masking on the canopy. And checkout what the belly looks like yet. But, here’s where I’m at now.
DSC01382.jpg
DSC01385.jpg
I know the green Tamiya X-5 came out REALLY strong, hopefully I can turn it down with the clears and flats and a wash. Any ideas would be great.

Thanks for checking it out, Cheers

The camo pattern looks sharp.

A flat coat might settle / tone down the green a little. Maybe a light coat of a really thin flat grey or another tone of green first... Not sure, I was thinking about using some really thinned down greys on my Herc build to break up it's colours and to tone down some surfaces. I've never tried it before, but might it work.

JMac said:
The camo pattern looks sharp.

A flat coat might settle / tone down the green a little. Maybe a light coat of a really thin flat grey or another tone of green first... Not sure, I was thinking about suing some really thinned down greys on my Herc build to break up it's colours and to tone down some surfaces. I've never tried it before, but might it work.

I saw a vid of a guy working on a FW-190 where the guy used a very thinned spray of Buff, but can't seam to find it again. although your idea about the green-perhaps over the X-5-might be better. Perhaps it's time to break out the labs rats and experiment. :)

Awesome work so far! Really cool paint job.

You can tone it down with a very thin mixture of Tamiya Buff. It really works out and gives the surface a dusty look and blends the camo pattern in.

Steve_L said:
Awesome work so far! Really cool paint job.

You can tone it down with a very thin mixture of Tamiya Buff. It really works out and gives the surface a dusty look and blends the camo pattern in.

Thanks for the info!

Well, I painted the nose and top blister black and fixed some overspray issues. I remasked the canopy and got a protective coat of future on the top(so I don’t mar up anything while handling it). Tomorrow I’ll get to the bottom, then slog forth.
Cheers!
DSC01391.jpg

Latest posts

Back