[WIP] Monogram 1/48 - Messershmitt BF109-G

Shark

So here is the kit I 'm building. It is pretty simple without a lot of fine detail. The machine gun barrels look like tiny blobs. Oh well.
DSCF0007.jpg

Sorry about the pictures. My good camera is no longer with us. The cockpit detail is weak so I removed the cast in fuel line, and replaced it with some wire. I also thickened up the left side control box, knobs and trim wheel.
DSCF0003.jpg

Re: Battle of Britain - Air Superiority: Nerd Herd Group Build

Thank you.
So here is the cockpit all completed.
DSCF0021.jpg

DSCF0020.jpg

The kit has no seatbelts, not even molded in. So for the first time I mad some out of wine bottle foil. I just painted some buckles.

Here she is all tucked in. I made a lever out of wire with a "glue blob" handle for the right side of the cockpit by the fuel line. I see this large control in all the reference photos. I'm not a rivet counter so I took some liberty with the colors of the knobs and such.

DSCF0028.jpg

That looks good! Why do people use wine foil to make the seatbelts anyways? Couldn't you use regular foil? Anyone know the reason?

Chung

Thickness. Regular foil is fragile in only one layer, plus really thin looking.

I've started painting mine. I'm sans camera the moment. Hopefully I can post pics up soon.

I will have some pics up soon. I've started the paint on my 109.

Hey Shark - just wondering how your Me 109 is coming...

(not sure if a cheerleader with a sword and lethal ninja skills is distracting)

Go man, you can finish this up.

what variant of BF-109G is that?

is it a G-2 G-4 G-6 G-8 G-10 G-12 or G-14

im guessing its a G-6 or a G-2

the G-2 was the first with a pressurized cockpit, and had the best turning performance of any BF-109, it could complete a turning circle in around 22 seconds XD

thw G-6 was the most common variant, by a far cry

the G-10 was the best of the G variants really, it had the Galand hood (hope i spelled that correctly) which was a cleaner lighter canopy which had less of the steel structure. and it had the 1,800hp Diamler Benz Inverted V12 which propelled it around 428mph making it one of the fastest BF-109s and had a rate of climb of 4,500fpm which is really.... fast!

Latest posts

Back