[WIP] 1:72 Hasegawa VF-22s (Macross)

Here's a picture of the primed model so far, I'm just about to try the Vallejo in the airbrush (so far I`ve only brush painted the stuff). Hopefully all will go well with the Vallejo thinner I bought today.

Jmac

[attachment deleted by admin]

Just shot my first coat of the Vallejo Pale Blue Grey. Not sure if I put enough thinner into it (used the 061 thinner in the 32 ml bottle). I mixed it about 80% thinner to 20% paint, compressor set to approx. 18-20 psi (with a medium size Paashe #3 tip). The surface looks like it has a very slight texture to it, not terrible mind you, but normally my 50%-50% Tamiya paint and thinner combo lays down smoother. The colour coverage was fantastic however. I have to redo a small area on the inside surfaces of the tail planes. Other than that I'll let everything dry until Thursday, then it's the dark camo spots.

I'll post a picture or two later tonight or tomorrow evening (depending on when the kids will lend me a camera).

JMac

Thanks Steve (and Quaralane, Jingles and Grendels) - you guys are keeping me motivated to finish it up (even though I'm officially late) :(

I've got the base coat done, along with the exhausts. I'm thinking of modifing the paint scheme a little. I saw another build of the same kit online, and the intakes were painted white. I think it looks cool, so I've painted mine white also.

The intakes and the exhausts are not glued into place yet.

Tomorrow I plan to start on the second colour - the darker grey camo spots. Hopefully if everything goes well the guys at work will have some time to cut out my stand on our laser table also.

JMac

Jingles said:
Too cool. The lines on the big VF22 are really agressive! 8)

Jingles.

I agree Jingles. I like how it looks like a modern fighter (F-22-ish or YF-23-ish) on steroids.

Well guys I'm having a little frustration develop on this build. I've been trying to get what I consider a good mask in place to shoot my second darker grey colour. I traditionally use a low tack macking tape, or paper masks. I was going to use a paper mask much like the one I used on my BoB GB Spitfire Mk1 (fixed with blu-tack, masking tape rolls, or a thin scrap-book double sided scotch tape). The problem I'm having is that some sections of the mask are so thin I have no good way to fix them to the model. I tried to make a masking tape mask, that was a gong show - to hard to get the sections to line up / adhere.

Some guys would just free-hand airbrush the second colour. I've never had good results with free-handing camo (or pre-shading for that matter) - my hand is not that steady.

I really want to keep this build moving (finish this week-end or early next week), and am hoping for some really out of the box ideas or suggestions. In the end however, I may just try to free-hand it, just to get it done. <Sigh> Never know it might turn out great. :p

JMac.

Oh and as a second bummer my laser cut stand is on hold because we are having problems with the CNC program...

Managed to get the mask issue sorted out, took most of the night. I ended up buying a pack of frisket film from a near by art and craft store. It was a couple of trys before I I had a partial mask made out of the frisket that I could use. After applying the frisket to the model, I used tape and paper to close off any areas that might get over spray. I sprayed the model with Vallejo Neutral Grey (90% thinner & 10% paint at about 15 psi). 20 minutes later I carefully took the masks off... ;D

Couple areas to touch up, but other than that I'm super happy with it.

Tomorrow - brush painting the smaller details & clear coat.

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the positive comments. :) :) :)

Jingles - I would buy another of these kits. If I could get my hands on one, my LHS has one of the blue and yellow 1:72 YF-21 kits (only it costs lots; $70 CAD for a 1:72 kit seems a little steep to me). Now that I know where the issues are I think the build would go alot farther, faster.

Well I'm going to clean my desk so I can keep this moving.

JMac said:
Jingles - I would buy another of these kits. If I could get my hands on one, my LHS has one of the blue and yellow 1:72 YF-21 kits (only it costs lots; $70 CAD for a 1:72 kit seems a little steep to me).

I'm sure HLJ has it for less than $45 CAD with FedEx postage.

Not to tempt you of course... ::)

Jingles.

My wife and kids are out of the house, so I`ve had a totally free morning to work on the Queen.

Here is how she looks now;

And from the business end;

and finally from the thrusty end.

I promise that some day I will set up a photobucket account. ::)

I`ll let everything dry untill later today, then it will be time for clear coat.
Tomorrow, decals (hopefully).

Thanks for looking.
JMac

It is starting to look very nice there. How did you like the frisket film? I have used it before, and had good results.

Thanks.

The frisket worked out great. I'll use it again. My only complaint would be the cost of the package of films ($25 CAD for 9 letter sized sheets).

Yeah it is a bit pricey, but you can cut it to the exact size you want. And then put it down on the model. Unlike working with tape, which I usually put down on the model and then cut.

Thanks Steve - I'm really happy with the way it turned out.

Well I did not get to the decals tonight - dinner out with the family to my sons’ favourite Japanese restaurant instead.

I did however get my laser cut parts for my stand. They turned out fantastic! Here is a picture of the model on the unfinished stand, just to test stability. The parts still need to be solvent welded, and flame polished on the edges to get rid of a white rough layer produced by the laser cut.

Thanks for looking.

JMac.

Latest posts

Back