[WIP] 1:72 Hasegawa VF-22s (Macross)

JMac

cut. glue. paint. repeat.
Here's my effort for this group build.

[attachment deleted by admin]

JMac said:
Here's my effort for this group build.

Nice, the Moon Shooters VF is one of my favorites, but hard to get hold of now as it's 'temporarily discontinued'... :'(

Watching with interest.

Jingles.

Thanks. I'm really excited to start this one. It will be fun.

Finally got started. So far some rough fitting and clean up work. This is a really nice kit, everthing seems to fit great from my initial inspection. Hopefully I'll start with the cockpit and pilot this week (I need to pick up some paint first).

JMac said:
Hopefully I'll start with the cockpit and pilot this week.

That's the only thing that puts me off aircraft kits, the cockpit. :-\

This looks like it'll be a nice build of a cool bird. Any idea on the colors?

Jingles.

Jingles said:
JMac said:
Hopefully I'll start with the cockpit and pilot this week.

That's the only thing that puts me off aircraft kits, the cockpit. :-\

This looks like it'll be a nice build of a cool bird. Any idea on the colors?

Jingles.

I enjoy working on the cockpit area, once I actually get to it. The nice thing about working in 1:72 is that once you close the whole thing up it's hard to see the goofs I made in the cockpit and it takes only a little paint to improve the appearance.

Colours? - (Any colour so long as) it's two tone grey... ;)
I plan to build it up as the "Queen of Night" - with the grey (not black) belly.

Did some more dry fitting last night and ran into my first real concern, some of the parts ar not really registered in the assembly, might be tricky to hold and glue at the same time...

Well I'm moving again. This is a really nice kit, but it's not "falling together", some minor filling (see below), and wierd gaps in places I would not expect. The first of these is the small nozzles at the back of the fuselage. If the nozzles are glued in exactly like the instructions (which I've totally departed from), gaps on either side show and I found it hard to locate the nozzles in the correct orientation. I built up the sides with sheet styrene before gluing them in. This gave a better register to the fit and closed up the gaps.

Filled seams shown below.

Thanks for taking a look.

Here's a picture of the nozzle areas. Bottom right of the picture is the modification I made to the original kit part.

Nice beverage in the back ground, reminds me that I need one about now.....Keep up the post, it is always good to see someone else's work.

Hey guys,
It's been a while but my build is progressing again. Pictures soon (I hope)...

Quick update. I'm back on the build after what seems like weeks of doing nothing. Basically have the rear fuselage all together - I'm working on some minor seam and filling jobs with it now. The kit is super great but I'm finding it is not "falling together" - that is likely a commentary of my skills however and not a fault of Hasegawa. Next up; closing off the landing gear bays and the cockpit along with the pilot.

I am almost done with a Hasegawa kit, and it was the same way. Didn't fall together, but not bad either. So maybe it isn't just you.

In the gentle words of the late Pvt. Jenette Vasquez...

"Whatever you're gonna do, do it fast!" ;D

Jingles.

LOL - Love that movie. Deadlines, shmeadlines. When is the deadline by the way?

Ok, I just looked it up - <chuckling> I MAY need to ask (plead) for an extension - Dec 31...

I'm trying to finish schnell... ;D

Well I've got it looking like a plane. The only problem is I can't prime it right now; normally I use a Tamiya rattle can primer, but its -30° C outside right now... might be warmer in a couple of days. The cockpit is done - the decals for the control panels did not soften up (as much I'm use to with the Tamiya and Revell decals) with the microsol I was using - but otherwise they worked out OK.

Next up;
1. Landing gear bay doors (need to make some sheet PS fillers/supports inside)
2. Clear parts
3. Exhausts

Woot!

Sounds like the problem I have with my Viper build over in SF.
Plane's looking good, though

Just finished priming the Queen. The kit calls out colours in Mr Color reference numbers; I found a Vallejo equivalent for the main base colour. I've only been brush painting the Vallejo colours, I'm nervous about airbrushing them (using water as a thinner) with such a tight deadline. I think I'll pick up some Vallejo thinner, or see if I can find a Tamiya paint equivalent.

Latest posts

Back