why do you buy a particular kit?

noname

I was wondering why some of you buy certain kits. Is it because you got a good deal? I think thats motivation for all of us!! Is it because a particular kit has a good repuation for quality? I think that also motivates all of us. Quality and price often don't go hand in hand however. Are you willing to pay more for kits with good detail and fit? Or, would you rather buy a cheaper kit, maybe even on sale, and do a little scratch building and modifying to save the $$$$? Or maybe you are just collecting a particular genre etc.
I'm curious and would like to hear why you plunk down money for a kit. Specially those of you who have a mixed batch of genres in their stash.

With me it's mostly the subject matter that is the deciding factor.

I build mostly Allied, WWII so my choices are fairly limited. Many of the vehicles I want to build are only available from one or maybe two manufacturers. Only if it's something very popular that is covered by many will I get the opportunity to actually weigh the pros and cons of each and shop around a bit.

Of course, occasionally I'll see some cool aircraft kit that I don't necessarily have a big interest in on sale and I'll just pick it up on impulse.

There are a lot of reasons why I might purchase a certain kit. One, it is a kit I built as a child. Building that kit again helps bring back the memories of that time. Second, I have a hard time refusing a bargain. If I find a kit on Ebay going for $10 when it usually sells for $80, it is hard to say no. Third, I like unusual kits. Like AMT's UFO mystery ship. (AKA the Leif Erickson.), or the Britannia from the Lensman Anime.

I recently wanted to pick up an A-10 and did some looking first. Since that kit is available from many different manufactures, I went with a brand that most say just goes together. My current build was no where near a quality kit, so I went with something easier for this purchase. If there was only one manufacturer making this kit, then I would have bought that kit.

I usually eye the new kits for a bit, wait until my mojo says I need that kit, then wait to find a good deal. But I generally stick to WWII 1/48, so I have lotsa choices.

I build what interests me, at the time. Honestly that inspiration could come from anywhere, ready a book, a movie, a post on a forum, a song, a conversation even a documentary or you tube video. I will find something interesting and I'll start to look for more, in the case of military subjects, I try to keep in mind that each vehicle had a crew and that crew has lots of memories and stories that they could tell.

I like interesting detail and eye catching stuff. Also, if it has has been built to death, I try to avoid it.

I subscribe to the "its supposed to be fun" school of building, so coolness factor does it for me. I'd buy a P-61 Black Widow over yet another P-51 Mustang any day of the week. Klingon Bird of Prey over an Enterprise, Blackbird over a B-52...I could go on and on.

Basically, if it looks cool and I haven't seen 1000 versions of it, I want to build it.

That being said, if anyone knows of a Hughes XF-11 model, please let me know. I know the prototype crashed and it never made it to full scale production..its just a cool looking plane ;D

I think we are all in agreement on the cool factor. Some vehicles, planes etc. just have character. I tend to not like new "things" so much. I personally find newer cars, military vehicles and whatnot just don't have the character of decades ago.

Price is another big one for me. I just can't justify paying big bucks for a kit. Always looking for a deal ( who isn't? ). But I don't have a regular job either. If I had the money perhaps I'd see things differently.

I'm just getting into military models now. After building autos for the last few years I'm finding myself looking for detailed kits more and more so as not to have to scratchbuild so much.

Well I prefer to build sci-fi/mecha/gundam/armour and I dont really buy kits online, not yet. So what it comes down to for me is the box art, might seem shallow, or maybe its because im really into illustration style art, but, yeah, if the box art catches my eye and makes me go, "WHOA", then I will more that likely buy.

I hear what your saying. I pretty much bought this kit because I liked the box art so much (and to try an AFV Club). When I've built it I'll keep the box for this one.

images.jpg

Usually I learn something, and then want to go out and make one. The first kit I got back into was an ME-262 which, while in the end a non-factor in the war, is still quite historically significant.

I also want to pick up an Israeli "super sherman" because I find it incredibly interesting how a WWII tank kept getting upgraded and was useful until the 70's.

I also want a few sci-fi kits from media that was a big impact on my youth..such as a gun star and the ships from Starblazers.

however price still plays a big factor..

2 kinds of kits bought for me:

-Sometimes i buy cheap kits for kitbashing later. Doesn't really matter what the kit is.

-But generaly, i want to build something before i buy the kit. It's often movie related, but it can also be just for the look of the beast.

Latest posts

Back