Why do we?

Jim62

I just have to put this out there. Why do we as modellers spend painstaking time painting small detailed interior parts of models that will never be seen once the model is complete? I currently am trying to break myself of that habit, but yet I find myself doing it on my current build. Is it just so we can take a picture of it and show our work before we hide it forever once the model is complete? Or is it really just that we all suffer a bit from being overly obsessive compulsive about getting everything painted? Maybe it's just about personal satisfaction of knowing we did it. I think the latter is my reason, how about you? What do you do when it comes to that and why?

When I was a kid, and Monogram had just issued its 1/48 B-17 kit, I and my best friend both got the kit for Christmas. We lived next door to each other, and so, we could compare notes very easily.

Two days after Christmas, he had his finished. I was still painting and assembling the interior.

I asked him if he added the interior pieces and painted them, and he said no. He said, "No one will ever see them."

He asked me if I was building the interior and I said yes. He asked me why, and I said, "Because I know it's there."

I just have to put this out there. Why do we as modellers spend painstaking time painting small detailed interior parts of models that will never be seen once the model is complete? I currently am trying to break myself of that habit, but yet I find myself doing it on my current build. Is it just so we can take a picture of it and show our work before we hide it forever once the model is complete? Or is it really just that we all suffer a bit from being overly obsessive compulsive about getting everything painted? Maybe it's just about personal satisfaction of knowing we did it. I think the latter is my reason, how about you? What do you do when it comes to that and why?
For me, like Brad, it's knowing that you didn't do it. When I'm finished working on a build I have to know that it's the very best I can do at the time.

I feel like that's the whole point of doing this. To replicate to the best of your ability. I have done a few builds since I started and a few of them I am going to do again because I am sure I will be able to improve them as my skills develop.

Anyway, that's my way of thinking but the main thing is to enjoy which ever version you want to build. What others think really doesn't come into it. Just do it your way and be happy with it. Pantherman

I do it for the enjoyment

It is fun to paint up interiors and get to appreciate them as they are before being hidden. I always make sure to snap some pics for posterity sake and sometimes I will build the model with a compartment or door that can be opened or a section removed to show the interior. Magnets can help accomplish that

Last edited:
I'm reminded now, too, of the difference in building when I was a kid and today, when I think of the instructions that the major companies included in their kits. Especially Monogram and Revell. You learned about the subject, because the instructions weren't just sets of exploded drawings and parts with numbers on the sprues. They usually included descriptions of the part, eg, "A23 distributor cap", "C24 ignition harness", "D15 CXAM radar antenna", etc, etc. I learned about the interior of a B-25, or a '57 Chevy, from those instructions. They were like manuals in that regard.

I'm reminded now, too, of the difference in building when I was a kid and today, when I think of the instructions that the major companies included in their kits. Especially Monogram and Revell. You learned about the subject, because the instructions weren't just sets of exploded drawings and parts with numbers on the sprues. They usually included descriptions of the part, eg, "A23 distributor cap", "C24 ignition harness", "D15 CXAM radar antenna", etc, etc. I learned about the interior of a B-25, or a '57 Chevy, from those instructions. They were like manuals in that regard.
How about building the entire model before breaking out the paint brush to paint it. Mask a canopy? Ha paint the frame with a brush and end up making a mess of it.

I paint all that might be seen or hope to be seen. However, I spent a great deal of time on the control panel of the P-38. It looked pretty good unil I put the dash on, the dash covered the entire panel. At least I have pictures of it.
I guess many of us do it because it's there. And maybe that added sense of satisfaction and a little "by the way" story to those who are admiring our work.
On my B-17 I put all kinds of little enhancement details inside; actual maps on the navigator's desk, pen and paper for the radioman, a chart on the pilot's clipboard, & many different things. Most of which may never be seen. But it is satisfying to me to look at the snapshots.
I think many us have our own reasons for "Why" we do or do not paint and/or add details to many unseen or barely seen areas.

I do it, because it's there. ;)

I do it for the enjoyment

It is fun to paint up interiors and get to appreciate them as they are before being hidden. I always make sure to snap some pics for posterity sake and sometimes I will build the model with a compartment or door that can be opened or a section removed to show the interior. Magnets can help accomplish that
What kind of magnets should I look at for doors and hoods and such? I can't find the tiny ones.

Growing up I always wanted a convertible, but never had one. That is what I usually go for when building cars. And I get the bonus of seeing the interior.

Latest posts

Back