White Wash? Faded Winter Armor....

hook1169

"220 221 Whatever it takes" - Mr. Mom , M. Keaton
Hi gang. I been looking around for some videos or techniques on doing a faded white wash (which i don't think is even the right term for what i am trying to do) on my Halftrack 251. I want to depict a faded or fading white paint like many modelers do to show the winter scheme used during WW2. The problem I have is that i have not been able to find a good reference on the streaking and colors used to make this work. For example what kind of white should be used for this particular effect? Bright white, off-white, matte white...? And then when doing the streaking and weathering, do i use the same techniques i would on a non-white vehicle? Or should they be lightened as well?

If anyone has advice, a site, or a video they know of that steps through this decently let me know please. Any advice is appreciated.

P.S. I know Ken has an article on this in issue #3 of SMA, but not really wanting to do it the old school way. Unless there is really no alternative. Plus I actually have more questions around color selection to pull it off.

start out with base color, then add a very very light coat of white, or a white tent, and then tak a brush soaked in thinners and wipe away in vertical streaks

hook1169 said:
P.S. I know Ken has an article on this in issue #3 of SMA, but not really wanting to do it the old school way. Unless there is really no alternative. Plus I actually have more questions around color selection to pull it off.

I Think the issue #2 Tiger article I did was using the hairspray method. (sorry for being unsure but I have written so many other articles since then so they all get kinda blurred together) then sponging on other whites and even hand painting bright whites on smaller areas, all of these different tones of white give a lot of depth and 'age' to the white and add a lot of interest and variation.

Many things to consider, as there are several methods and techniques you can use separately and/or in conjunction. If you do choose to use a few shades of white, (which I usually do myself) it helps to portray several layers of a white wash in various stages of wear.

You could use the hairspray method for your initial chipping, you could then apply slightly different shades of white using the sponge technique, and then lastly you could streak some white oil paints to show heavy rain washing the water soluble white wash off.

I don't think I've ever done a white wash exactly the same way as the previous one and I've done several. Too many perhaps, but I love modeling winter scenes/snow etc. Feel free to keep asking questions, I'm not here every day but I'll chime in when I can.

Ken Abrams said:
hook1169 said:

I Think the issue #2 Tiger article I did was using the hairspray method. (sorry for being unsure but I have written so many other articles since then so they all get kinda blurred together) then sponging on other whites and even hand painting bright whites on smaller areas, all of these different tones of white give a lot of depth and 'age' to the white and add a lot of interest and variation.

Many things to consider, as there are several methods and techniques you can use separately and/or in conjunction. If you do choose to use a few shades of white, (which I usually do myself) it helps to portray several layers of a white wash in various stages of wear.

You could use the hairspray method for your initial chipping, you could then apply slightly different shades of white using the sponge technique, and then lastly you could streak some white oil paints to show heavy rain washing the water soluble white wash off.

I don't think I've ever done a white wash exactly the same way as the previous one and I've done several. Too many perhaps, but I love modeling winter scenes/snow etc. Feel free to keep asking questions, I'm not here every day but I'll chime in when I can.

Ken thanks much, this was very helpful! I was not sure how much the "white" made a difference in a normal weathering process. I like the idea of using different tones of white mixed with different techniques, and think that was my biggest hurdle, as I didn't want the visual to be flat and with no depth.

I appreciate your feedback. Thanks man.

P.S. time to go look at Issue #2 :) , while I have not written many articles since then, I have read many. So ya I can understand your not remembering exactly.!

Latest posts

Back