Which Manufacturer?

rcowboysfan

I would like to know your guy's opinion on which manufacturer makes the best models and why?
Personally, I think Tamiya is the best because they are easier to build (since I am still learning) and their detail seems pretty good too.

Ease of build isn't the only factor to consider.
And I've seen some Tamiya kits that were a complete bear to build.

For overall detail and accuracy, I'd say Tamiya and Fine Molds.
Hasegawa kits are very well engineered, though.
SOme of the newer sci-fi offerings from Moebius are superb

Over here in france,from a noob modeler:
-thumbs up for Finemolds, i only have 1 of their kits, but it's really well made. The only thing is... it wasn't cheap.
-thumbs down for Italeri, the 2 kits i have are bad fits, so lots of work.

And i won't even mention revell and their snaptite starwars kits ;)

Dragon and Tamiya seem to have the best Armour kits that I have discovered so far

I like building Gundams/Mecha type stuff and so far i've only got my hands on some Bandai and Wave kits but I have no real complaints

Moebius does make really nice sci-fi/fantasy/horror type stuff

Hasegawa makes really nice kits as well...

But I have to admit that I also like really bad kits because the challenge of building is half the fun imo

Tamiya, dragon armor. revel/monogram/testors planes. Hasegawa is looking like a fine mecha (have not built it yet)

Anything except Mirage! If you are looking for ease of build then stick to the larger companies and stay away from the small European and Russian companies. In general they are low quality and harder to build. Many don't even number the parts.

Revell Tamiya Hasegawa are good companies that i see most people use. and those are the three companies i use most of, especuall Tamiya and Most of all Revell, over 75% of my collection are Revell airplanes, all my P-51s are Revell. which I think are American Designs, but lots of the parts and stuff are built all over the place mostly, sadly in China. Tamiya and Hasegawa i think are more Japanese companies, i had the pleasure of Buidling a Hasegawa Thunderbolt and its a really good company, my BF-109E-7 is a Tamiya and that was a good kit. i see Italery (i hope i spelled that correctly) is a really popular company as well.

I've only had kits from 3 different manufactures but I have a couple opinions. Accurate Miniatures and Tamiya both have high quality kits from what I have from them and I will definitely be buying from them again. The majority of my kits are from Revell/Monogram because they seem to what I enjoy building most....US WWII bombers. Revell kits have also stood the test of time, seeing as some their kits like the B-17 were first released in the 1970s are still great kits today (my opinion). Decent detail, but some people will complain about the raised panel lines, but on bombers raised panel lines are more accurate than recessed panel lines anyways. Revell is accurate for the most part and they're not as hard to build as some people think. Some builds may require a little more work than modern "shake and bake" kits but I like a good a challenge and it only improves my skills on top of that. The thing I like most about Revell though, is their kits are bargains. I can almost buy 3 Revell B-25s for the price of one AM B-25 and price is most important to me. I bought a 1/48 Revell B-24 for $35 but paid $45 for a Tamiya P-47. Don't get me wrong, Tamiya and those other high end manufacturers have awesome kits, but I'm gonna say my favorite is Revell cuz I get the most bang for my buck.

Armour 1/35: Dragon I like the new Tamiya and Trumpeter Kits, too, but I don´t like
those Vinyl-Tracks :-/
Armour 1/72: Fujimi and Dragon
Aircraft 1/32 and 1/48: Hasegawa Eduard have some very rare Models you cant find anywere else
Aircraft 1/72: Hasegawa and Revell (only the new Kits)
Sci-Fi: Moebius, Revell and the old AMT/MPC Kits (does anyone remember the TOS Galactica from Revell?)
Ships: Hasegawa, Aoshima, Trumpeter
Detail-Sets: Aires, CMK
For Beginners: Zvesda 1/35 :) Cheap and easy to build. And the old (remove the spiderwebs) Matchbox-Kits, hehe!

I'd have to say my top three are Tamiya, Hasegawa, and Academy. Thats my opinion, but I can only speak about Aircraft in 1/48 scale. Thats really all I build and I think that the quality can really vary between kits of different Aircraft by the same manufacturer. For instatnce I built Tamiya's A-10 and though it wasnt a terrible build I was dissapointed with some of the fit and the detail was lacking some. Now I am working on Tamiya's F-16 Aggressor and WOW what a phenomenal kit. The detail is amazing. Anyways I've always gone on google and searched "best F-15 kit" and usually theres a thread on Aircraft Resource Center with people who have built the kit and are happy to tell you there opinion about it. Hope that helps.

Latest posts

Back