Where to start with paint?

The_Mechanic

I am returning to the hobby after being away for 20 years and there is so much new stuff that it makes my head spin just thinking about it. I've been looking at the price on paints and it does that seem too bad but I'm sure it gets really expensive buying one bottle at a time, so my question is where do I begin buying paints? Is there a good starter set that some of you could recommend? Type of paint? Acrylic or enamel? Basically I am asking for any and all advice regarding paint. And I just want to say thank you in advance for any help you can give me.

I deal with the Vallejo paint system both in my shop and on my personal kits. Nothing better IMHO.

With lines of brush paint, airbrush paint, paints for gaming miniatures in both brush and airbrush, pigment, washes, metal paints, a primer line, and coming soon a weathering line....it is pretty much one stop shopping.

Biggest issue with Vallejo (and any acrylic paint for that matter) is that they don't have the chemicals in them that will etch the paint into the plastic, so you need lay down a primer (which Vallejo has an extensive primer line of many colors), in order for the paint to stick well. That being said, it is sort of a 2 fold issue, no chemicals means you have to lay down a primer to get the paint to stick, but also means just that, no chemicals in the paint, so no harsh smells.

There is, 8 packs, 16packs, and the big suitcase 72 pack, 72 colors, case, usually paint brushes.

However, I encourage people just to buy what colors they think they will need. 72 pack is nice, but if you only use 1/2 to 2/3 of the colors in it, it's not really worth it, just buy the colors you need or think you will use.

Latest posts

Back