What's the most fasinating technique you've learned from building models?

DreamKnight

I know I've learned some pretty cool techniques but sometimes it fascinates me on how it's accomplished. Such as using plain household items to achieve the effect that you want. What technique have you learned that made you say, "Hey, that's cool!"?

The most impresive thing I have discovered through modelling is:
We as modellers are a group of artists that are preserving history through our works. As we research a subject and decide on the final look of a project, we are both preserving history and taking artistic license to convey an emotional responce to that history. Every scratch, dent, and splash of mud gives the viewer a sence of the vehicles place in history. Personaly, when I look at a well painted model, I pick up on what the modeller/artist was trying to convey through the colors used and the details added. This is much the same as viewing conventional artwork/design in any other form or forum. ;)

Learned several techniques over the years. Picked up tips from all over along the way, too.
Some of my own tricks, I found by accident.
Like my use of tube model glue for phaser strikes

collin26 said:
The most impresive thing I have discovered through modelling is:
We as modellers are a group of artists that are preserving history through our works. As we research a subject and decide on the final look of a project, we are both preserving history and taking artistic license to convey an emotional responce to that history. Every scratch, dent, and splash of mud gives the viewer a sence of the vehicles place in history. Personaly, when I look at a well painted model, I pick up on what the modeller/artist was trying to convey through the colors used and the details added. This is much the same as viewing conventional artwork/design in any other form or forum. ;)

agreed!

Well I would have to say the best informative model skills or technical know how I have gotten from other modellers is all of the above ! every thing That has gotten stuck in the left side of my brain comes to the front when I am ingenue d in building or just researching topics Thanks SMA and thanks all modellers who are very helpful to the community with ideas, advice, or just 'a great job done there mate'. It does all help . We are a small breed closed in our dens 'OH MY PRECIOUS' spending hours away from loved ones enthralled to tiny pieces of plastic. gluing ,sizing ,, resizing ok this time it will fit ! done I know I should have dry tested the parts !

@collin26 Yes I am in awe of your response The first model builders to my knowledge were 2000 years give or take a century without drawing matter the basic way to show your grand ideas was in miniature, I only guest 2000 years thinking of the pyramids. But I do know for fact that navel ackutechs did make small replicas of ships to show ship build what to do

Still a noob, so i guess i'll discover a lot of things with time,
but right now, what often fascinates me is the paint job. How many layers some kits have on them, how the colors interact and give a particular effect, etc.
So if i had to pick a technique to answer the thread's title, it would be preshading/prelighting)

And blending when i'll try to paint some figures ;)

@Exarkun77 ,OK ,I have sobered up now what I meant to say is that everything shown to me , tolled to me or tried to be explained has never left me . The best knowledge I have from modelling making is what I have teached myself . No one is with me when I build tiny plastic miniature figures trying to keep everything as to history , spending tens of hundreds of dollars just on tools that I may need twice in a lifetime . So to answer your Question I have teached me all that I know on this subject and all things related . I Thank You .

How to keep my fingers from being superglued together! ;) I don't know what the most valuable technique I've found, except patience enough to develop my skills, and to learn how to paint with spray cans, and not get runs, or drips in my finish. I would have to say replicating finishes, and their patina qualities. This is something that is important when trying to restore a valuable item.

because of modeling,my desire to scratchbuild and make my own decals, I buckled down and learned to use illustrator..I wouldn't say it's facinating but it is an indespensible skill I have learned.I have even able to make a few buck with it.

when it comes to the modeling it's self ,,I'm still a beginner and learning about the newest killer techniques every day..and to be able to watch someone do it on youtube is just awesome.

none of this was available when I built my first model.not even close !

my reborn modeling hobby is fascinating just for the fact of how far it's come

Right now I am really enjoying the newest technique I've learned, thinning down filler with acetone. Has came in very handy not in just in adding texture to a surface but being able to sculpt with the filler.

Latest posts

Back