What is the best flat clear coat?

C.D.Lebo

I have no clue as to why my clear flat coats are not turning out so good. If I use Testors acrylic flat,it seems like there is still a touch of gloss to it. If I use the 3 parts Future floor wax to 1 part Tamiya flat base mix,this is what happens.
HTB15_zpsf20a2417.jpg

SU11_zps0b56b9ba.jpg

Make sure you shake your Testors matt before using it, while both are clear liquids and you might not see much, the matt and the carrier can separate.

As far as the white spots, just too much flat base, or not enough future, either way.

But to be honest, the best sprayable matt varnish I have used is the Vallejo Polyurethane varnishes, Matt, Gloss and Satin, mix it 50/50 with their AB thinner and spray. Works great.

Elm City Hobbies said:
Make sure you shake your Testors matt before using it, while both are clear liquids and you might not see much, the matt and the carrier can separate.

As far as the white spots, just too much flat base, or not enough future, either way.

But to be honest, the best sprayable matt varnish I have used is the Vallejo Polyurethane varnishes, Matt, Gloss and Satin, mix it 50/50 with their AB thinner and spray. Works great.
Thanks for the tip on Vallejo. For the Tamiya/Future mix I did a 3:1 mix of Future and Tamiya flat base. Maybe just under 1 part Tamiya.

C.D.Lebo said:
Elm City Hobbies said:

Thanks for the tip on Vallejo. For the Tamiya/Future mix I did a 3:1 mix of Future and Tamiya flat base. Maybe just under 1 part Tamiya.

Or go 4-5 parts Future for every 1 part of the flat base.

Alclad makes a VERY good flat clear coat. Worked really well on my Helicarrier from the contest

Quaralane said:
Alclad makes a VERY good flat clear coat. Worked really well on my Helicarrier from the contest
Agreed, easy to apply and gives a good finish. The model air clears seemed ok but next time ill try the 50/50 mix and see what happens

Quaralane said:

I have to second this. I used it a lot during the contest and got to like it. Dries very fast.

Grendels said:
Quaralane said:

I have to second this. I used it a lot during the contest and got to like it. Dries very fast.
Which contest? Please remember,I am a N00B here. ;) How well does that stuff go over acrylic paint? I have been told in the past to never put lacquer over acrylics.

C.D.Lebo said:
Grendels said:
Quaralane said:

Which contest? Please remember,I am a N00B here. ;) How well does that stuff go over acrylic paint? I have been told in the past to never put lacquer over acrylics.

Not true, provided that your previous coat is fully cured (not just dry, but cured), you can put anything over anything.

I have been using model masters acryl flat clear... works great..
I put in 2 or 3 drops of thinner just for laughs but it doesnt really need it..

I just picked up the vallejo clear varnishes and am anxious to try them.. but I dont haven anything I need to clear at all right now.. flat or otherwise..

I also recently picked up an order of alclad metallics... next time Im at the LHS I am going to order their clears as well...

provided that your previous coat is fully cured (not just dry, but cured), you can put anything over anything.
this has been my experience....

C.D.Lebo said:
Grendels said:
Quaralane said:

I was referring to this year's Big Spring Contest. And it works just fine on acrylics. Acrylics are just about all I use

C.D.Lebo said:
Which contest? Please remember,I am a N00B here. ;)

Chad, every year we host the Big Spring Contest here, $5.00 per model/entry, three months to build a kit and maybe win some cool stuff. Forum members vote, each category has 1-2-3.

C.D.Lebo said:
I have been told in the past to never put lacquer over acrylics.

Tamiya paint is an acrylic and their yellow cap thinner is lacquer, not only can you put them over each other, but they work great together.

*and before anyone says "yeah but Tamiya isn't a true acrylic", it isn't the reducing medium/thinner that determines if a paint is acrylic or not, what does determine it, is if it cures by polymerization of an acrylic binder. Outside of modelling there are oil and lacquer based acrylics, and inside the hobby, Tamiya and Gunze's Mr Color range are lacquer based acrylics.

;)

Ken Abrams said:
C.D.Lebo said:
Which contest? Please remember,I am a N00B here. ;)

Chad, every year we host the Big Spring Contest here, $5.00 per model/entry, three months to build a kit and maybe win some cool stuff. Forum members vote, each category has 1-2-3.

C.D.Lebo said:
I have been told in the past to never put lacquer over acrylics.

Tamiya paint is an acrylic and their yellow cap thinner is lacquer, not only can you put them over each other, but they work great together.

*and before anyone says "yeah but Tamiya isn't a true acrylic", it isn't the reducing medium/thinner that determines if a paint is acrylic or not, what does determine it, is if it cures by polymerization of an acrylic binder. Outside of modelling there are oil and lacquer based acrylics, and inside the hobby, Tamiya and Gunze's Mr Color range are lacquer based acrylics.

;)
Thanks for the info Ken. I will enter in next year's build then.

Latest posts

Back