What do you think about Dragon kits ?

longlance67

cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war -shakespear
Hi all,

found a similar thread on another site discussing....well ranting about DML and their kits it was for the most part very negative, and was really surprised by this. I've build a few of their armor kits in the past and have found them very enjoyable, im not a rivet counter or get all hot and bothered over insane levels of detail that no body is ever gonna see any how. Yes the instructions have been the main issue at times and high part counts a challenge but often you can get past this, is that modelers these days expect too much in terms of detail and engineering ?

I would like to ask you good folks what do think about their models, love or hate em ?
I'm very interested to see what your thoughts are this

thanks

Shane.

When I first got into the hobby about 5 years ago I built about 3 or 4 of their 1/72 tank kits. I remember thinking, "wow, these are really nice kits." I pretty much stick to science fiction these days, but if I were more into armor and more real world subects, im sure Dragon would be a prefered manufacturer of mine. I like a box full of parts with a lot options.

I can remember when I was younger, if the model represented what it was suppose to look like we were happy. If we wanted to add more detail we made it ourselves. I think some of the complaints nowadays about kits is related to today's attitudes of wanting it all right now and not wanting to work for it.
I think of modeling as not only a hobby, but a craft. Most can throw a model together. The craft is to give life, a sense of reality to the model, make, add and modify to give your vision of the model. Not what is just out of the box. Without an imagination one can not be a good modeler. The fun is in the creation.
My thoughts anyway.

Jim

I like Dragon's 135th scale armor kits. I have had no major probs putting one of there
kits together. Engineering and level of detail with there kits is really good, IMHO. With
the rest, Papermodder has expressed it perfectly.
:)

MR Natural, Papermodeler, bdr65, thanks for sharing your opinions on this, I'd have to agree with Paper modeler that now days modelers expect everything to handed to them almost, (not to sound like the bitter old man...Im only 22 ;) ) but when I started modelling when I was 6 around 96-97 you built for enjoyment and if you wanted to go that extra mile you would either scratch build (or in my case try to :p ) or get a very expensive after market kit which required complex building and preping of your kit.

Though I belive the hobby is its prime in terms of choice and values.... I feel that as modelers we should remember your roots that we build to relax or escape our other halfs :p And time should never be a concern as it is not a race

One of the main points of arguments on the other site was the over engineering and part counts of DML kits, but is that not what we want, so many cry for detail and when company's give it to us we bitch that their too many parts ?
I personally enjoy complex builds as you get a sense of pride and achievement when you complete your project all those months later. Ive built alot of their kits over the last few years and only one has ever beaten me which was panzer IV Vorpanzer with a 1500 part count....but I believe it was down to the fact I didnt enjoy the subject over the model

However to be fair the only misgiving I have on their kits is their instructions which have a near infamous status now, what really annoys me is that their kits ant cheap and you'd think they'd sort their instructions when you look at the price tags, and when everyone tells them that the instructions are hard to follow at times

these are some of my thoughts, what are yours ?

cheers,

Shane.

Almost all my stash is Dragon, i love the Kits.

all these Rivet counts piss me right off, you are either a modeler or not, get over it, enjoy the hobby and stop wasting time complaining about how a kit should be, no one carse if teh armor is 0.5mm too thick or doesnt have teh propper angle, build it and shit up......

Grrrr

The problem spud is that there is too many modelers like that out there, I've had a few run in's with them at model shows and it really put a bad taste in my mouth to be honest why cant we just enjoy our hobby and not look down on the skills and abilities of our fellow modelers it is shameful

My thing with them, yes they are nice kits, I have quite a few in my stash as well.

My biggest gripe with them is that they seem to lack any imagination in their new kits in the last few years. Last modern release were the 2 M1 tanks many years ago, which people still clamor for, but are hard to find because in Dragon's infinite wisdom they think more people want a new Pz.IIIJ that has 2 parts different from the last one, and because it was only built on a Tue. in March of '44, that all the WWII German tread heads just have to have that particular tank, even though they probably already have multiples of them in their stash already.

Now admittingly, I don't build much WWII German, but still, do we need multiples of the same kit just with one or 2 different parts that 90% of the modelers would have no clue that there was anything different about it in the first place?

I will admit, that their new M48 coming intrigues me, and is a pleasant surprise, I hope they continue with that line and also do the M60 series, finally something that is different from the myriad of WWII rehashed German subjects. For awhile there I thought Dragon was turning into Hasegawa, release the same kit with different decals, call it new and jack the price up another $5-$10. I mean, why did we need a new 234/3? What is different on it, that wasn't on the one they released a few years back, other than a different box art and new decals?

2nd gripe, their pricing. Now unfortunately, I don't sell enough Dragon product to be able to meet the min. order specs to be able to buy it direct from Dragon USA as a dealer, so I have to rely on buying them through my other suppliers which of course make a percentage on the mark up, and I am OK with that, however Dragon's regular tanks have been creeping up to the $70 mark, again, for the same kit that was out a year or so ago, with just a few parts that only the experts would know was there, and different markings, yet the kit 2 years ago was probably about $10 less.

Don't get me started on the price of some of the Cyber Hobby white box releases, $80 and up for their so called "limited release" kits, too rich for my blood and for my customers as well. Frankly, unless it is an extra special kit, I don't even bother to bring it into the shop unless I have a customer asking for it. Times that you brought it in just because it was a new kit, just to watch it collect dust on the shelf because no on is buying them are long gone. I can sell 10 or more Trumpeter or Hobby Boss kits (which are just as good as Dragon kits for quality) to every Dragon kit. Just getting to the point that it isn't worth bringing in.

Sure, I will always have the requisite Dragon Tiger, PzIV, just to say I have them here when someone is looking for it.....but I don't need, nor want every minute different PzIV kit they have made.

What gets me is their CH Orange box kits cost the same to produce as their regular kits (I know, they are all based on older molds), yet they can keep the price of them at a more reasonable $40-$45. I know, new molds cost alot to make, but for every different version of PzIII, PzIV, Tiger, etc, etc, they aren't cutting brand new molds for the whole kit, just a small mold for whatever minute parts needed for that particular version, however the price on the new kits keep rising.

I have been in the business for about 5-6 yrs, and in that time I have seen the mainstream Dragon kits go from about $45 each to now approaching $70 each. Most of the rest of the companies I suppose have been doing the same, but I just don't think they have been increasing by as much. I mean a Trumpeter T-62 kit is still under $55, and is every bit the detailed kit that anything Dragon produces, so why are they so much more?

Anyway, this turned more into a rant, which was not my intention, so RANT OFF! LOL

It just flowed out of ya lol, but you do have some very good points, just how amny Pz.IV's do need ?
would like to see them produce different machines like hobby boss do (which is my fav brand at the moment for subject and price)

Hobbyboss and Trumpeter are Awesome kits also not as many part counts but will look just as good.

spud said:
Hobbyboss and Trumpeter are Awesome kits also not as many part counts but will look just as good.

Depends on the kit, but no, not usually as high part count. The BTR 50 I have languishing here is under 300 parts, But then I look at the new BTR-60PU I just got and it is a 620 part count and it is a wheeled vehicle, so no inflation of the parts count because of indy tracks. (very nice kit too btw if that is your thing, full interior, all the goodies to go with a command vehicle).

I love their 1/72 armor kits. They probably have the best 1/72 armor kits on the market. Fujimi has just started to make new tool 1/72 armor but still not quite as good as Dragon from what I've seen.

As with many manufacturers, some of the older kits might have various little issues in fit or accuracy. Their stuff from the last 2-3 years is amazing. PE, metal, special tracks, hundreds of parts and options. The reason there's so many Panzer III and IV is simple. They were the most numerous.
I still count their 1/48 aircraft among the current best. If you're a modeler, you just build them and fix a flaw as you come to it. If you're a rivet counter, you complain and then buy the detail kit you were going to anyway.
Trumpeter and Hobby Boss kits have an annoying tendency to put ejector pins on detail sides or in very visible areas. Sometimes the fit just sucks too. But once you fix the flaws they're awesome models.
Tamiya can skimp on moulding parts.
The point is there is not one 'perfect' company. You pick the kit you'd like to build, and just build it. Have fun with it.
It's sorta like a goofy movie you like that nobody else does. You like it, they thought it stunk. Do you really care what they thought or what you think?

Elm City Hobbies said:
spud said:

Depends on the kit, but no, not usually as high part count. The BTR 50 I have languishing here is under 300 parts, But then I look at the new BTR-60PU I just got and it is a 620 part count and it is a wheeled vehicle, so no inflation of the parts count because of indy tracks. (very nice kit too btw if that is your thing, full interior, all the goodies to go with a command vehicle).

that sounds like a sweet kit. any kit with a full interior always peeks my interest as i think a kit with out it is only half a kit.

I think Dragon puts more design/ detail effort into their German subjects than Allied. Look at some of the clumsy parts in the Sherman kits. That being said Dragon U.S. Halftracks are awesome kits! I liked building Dragons Panther tanks. They are very nice.

Latest posts

Back