weathering

PG tips

yo

i need some advice on pin washes for tanks i cant find the right mix, ive been using tamiya black watered down but the coulours either doent show up clearly or forms big puddles. are oil paints any better?, what varnish should i use ? what thinner should i use?

any advice would be helpful

Try an ink wash like the new inks from games workshop they run into cracks and dry matt. I've already used a couple of pots of their black alone. You could try tamiya thinners as well to really thin out your paint and then run it along where you need the wash.

PG tips said:
yo

i need some advice on pin washes for tanks i cant find the right mix, ive been using tamiya black watered down but the coulours either doent show up clearly or forms big puddles. are oil paints any better?, what varnish should i use ? what thinner should i use?

any advice would be helpful
Most people I know and myself are using this now, great stuff and there are video tutorials. Free shipping worldwide.
http://www.promodeller.com/buy-the-wash/

has anyone used oil washes
are they any good.
the only problem was that the oil paints are stupidly expencive and im not sure if its worth spending the money.

I am always washing with oils and I love them. The advantage of them is, that they dry veeery slow. So you can always alter your weathering how you wish. Even days afterwards. But well, that's also a contra of them. You have to wait several days, with continuing your work.

And about the price: There are some incredibly expensive oil colors available. But look further and you'll also find cheaper ones here and there. I bought mine in a building centre quite cheaply. You can use ordinary artist's oil colors. Everything with "for scale modeling!" on it, is overpriced.

I've never used oil washes, but would like to try them some time.

But I do use Tamiya paints for my panel line washes. I use a technique I read originally about in a Finescale Modeller magazine a number of years ago. They call it sludge washes. I mix my Tamiya colour, with distilled water and liquid dish soup (2 paint : 5 parts water : 3 soap). Dries in about 30-40 minutes. After it is dry I remove excess with a clean cotton swab. Usually you can use a dry swab and "roll" the swab as remove the excess wash, but if the wash is subborn just moisten the end of the swab with a little water (also works well to remove the dreaded "opps event"). A few words of caution; make sure that the surface is really smooth and glossy before applying the wash, and make sure the mixture is really well mixed before applying (but don't mix it to vigourously or it will suds up).

Usally I only need to do one coat, but I have done several washes over each other before swabbing to ensure a solid strong colour.

Latest posts

Back