Wayyyy off topic. Christmas Lights

Elm City Hobbies

OK, need some advice.

Been probably 5-6 years since I have bought new Xmas lights.

I do have some sets of LED lights, but they are just the regular plug in kind, these new ones have a special AC/DC transformer, and special plugs that aren't the usual Xmas light plugs that just plug right into a receptacle, and you can just plug the sets in end to end.

Anyway....have 3 sets of the shimmering icicle lights, and a set of regular LED lights. The all have common plugs so that they can all be hooked together end to end. Icicle lights, 3 sets of them work fine, but when I plug the other set of LED lights into them, they don't light up. Plug them in separately, and they work fine. All are made by the same company (Noma) and all have the same end to end connectors.

So...look a the transformer that comes with the icicle lights, output is 4.5VDC, and says max of 3 sets end to end (which is what I have).

The transformer that comes with the other set has an output of 24VDC., and says it can handle up to 500 LED lights.

So, naturally, the transformer that the 3 sets of icicle lights are on, doesn't have enough power to light up the larger set of normal LED lights.

Here is my question (and I probably know the answer to it already, but wanted a 2nd/3rd/4th opinion), if I replace the 4.5VDC transformer with the 24VDC transformer, and hook in the other set of lights, do you guys think that it would be too much for the icicle lights?

Kinda chicken to just plug it in and try it out, as I envision the icicle lights going belly up in about 5 seconds with the extra power running to them.

As well the icicle lights only have 2 wires running from end to end, while the regular set of lights has 3, but it's not a grounding wire as it is only a 2 prong plug.

Anyway, what do you think? OK to use the 24VDC on all the lights? Or am I going to burn out the icicle lights in the process using it. I can hook the regular set up on their own transformer, but means I need to go buy a splitter for the power (I run everything on timer, and it only has one plug on the out side of the power), and another extension cord.

Since the icicle lights are designed to run at 4.5Vdc, if you were to run them at 48 Vdc the current limiting of their Leds would be exceeded and the Leds would definitely burn out in a short period of time.

Jim

Can you plug the 4.5 VDC transformer at the end of the three set of normal LED lights and then plug the icicle lights from there?

Papermodder said:
Since the icicle lights are designed to run at 4.5Vdc, if you were to run them at 48 Vdc the current limiting of their Leds would be exceeded and the Leds would definitely burn out in a short period of time.

Jim

It's 24VDC, but still either way, that was what I thought. Decided to play it safe, had a couple of extension cords here, just had to buy a splitter. All working now.

It is weird though, these sets of LED lights are actually DC, while others I have are of the AC type, couple of longer strings in our pine tree out front, as well as normal LED icicle lights (not the shimmering ones that look like actual icicles, but an LED version of the normal incandescent icicle lights) all AC. Don't know why they had to change them and make the DC so they don't work with other lights. Heck they don't even work with lights from the same manufacturer!!

Timbaux said:
Can you plug the 4.5 VDC transformer at the end of the three set of normal LED lights and then plug the icicle lights from there?

Nah, just one long set of regular LED lights, which apparently require the 24VDC transformer to run, so either way, the 4.5VDC transformer won't light them up, no matter how they are hooked up.

Got it fixed now, just had to buy a splitter for the power.

Latest posts

Back