Was North Africa hot...or not??

sunsanvil

This is sort of a tanks/figures/diorama question so I'll start the conversation here.....

In looking at photos of the WWII North African campaign we see vehicle and gun crews shirtless in shorts, clearly sweating like crazy...but just as common are photos of tank crews in garb no different than what would have been warn on a cold day in Europe (still with palm trees in the background).

So what was the deal then? I myself have spent many many years in East Africa where I can tell you that in a 6 hour drive you could literally go from unbearable heat at the coast to almost Canadian winter conditions in the mountains, and everything in between, but thats purely a function of the varied altitude afforded there. I didnt think North Africa would have that same variance but maybe it did?

Desert gets cold as well, might be hot during the day, but at night it can easily go below freezing.

Overcast day as well wouldn't necessarily be that warm either. If it clouded over, over night, it would still be cold from the night and with no sun, the sands won't hold much heat from the day before and cool over night temps.

North Africa, can be very hot and "very" cold.

It is not also a matter of altitude (of course it is very relevant), by experience, in plain areas it depends a lot to the distance to sea.

Heat can reach perfectly 45ºC in summer (even more some times),

Cold can reach perfectly temps relatively near 0ºC during winter season.

Latest posts

Back