WANTED: T-6 Texan II

austin132010

Hey guys, I was wondering if anybody knew where I could get a T-6 Texan II. Any scale would work. My dad flies this plane in the Air Force, and I wanted to maybe build him one for his retirement in May of 2012.

030625-F-9999R-999-Beechcraft+T-6A.jpg

Thanks,
Austin Terrell

Hey Austin,

That aircraft is a Beech T-34C isn't it (just called the T-6 Texan II by the USAF?) If so...Czech Model make a 1/48 version of it. I have one here in my stash...but I am thinking that the T6 is slightly modified. Different canopy, and the wings look like they are slightly bent up...and the T-34C doesn't seem to have those. Maybe the T6 is a souped up version or something.

Actually the Beechcraft T-34C is much older than the Beechcraft T-6A Texan II. In fact the T-6B is replacing T-34C in the Navy. The T-6A (Air Force) T-6B (Navy and little bigger than the A version) is based off of the Pilatus PC-9.

Here is a picture of the T-6B and the T-34C compared.

nt_T6B_T34C_jh.JPG

Thanks,
Austin

Gundamhead, Thank You so much. I'll keep a close eye on that model. :D

The decals for the model are form the squadron he was in at Randolph AFB, San Antonio.

Thanks,
Austin

Here is some history of the T-6A from Wikipedia. My dad was took part in the Randolph part of the story (partially in Columbus too).

United States
The T-6A was introduced to Moody Air Force Base and Randolph Air Force Base in 2000-2001, and the Air Force awarded the full rate T-6 production contract in December 2001. Laughlin Air Force Base began flying the T-6 in 2003 where it is now the primary basic trainer, replacing the T-37. Vance Air Force Base completed transitioning from the T-37 to the T-6 in 2006. That year, Columbus Air Force Base began its transition, and retired its last T-37 in April 2008. The last active USAF T-37Bs were retired at Sheppard Air Force Base in the Summer of 2009.[6]

An original T-6A Texan aircraft, right, with the new T-6 Texan II at Randolph Air Force Base (AFB), Texas, in 2007
The T-6A also replaced all T-34Cs with Training Air Wing SIX at Naval Air Station Pensacola in early 2005. T-6Bs began replacing T-34Cs as the primary trainer with Training Air Wing FIVE at NAS Whiting Field in the late summer of 2009 and the installation will operate both aircraft as it transitions over the next few years.[7] Training Air Wing FOUR at NAS Corpus Christi will continue to operate the T-34C as the primary trainer, with the arrival of the T-6B scheduled for that location in 2012.[7] On 18 May 2010 Training Wing 5 had the first training flight of a T-6B.[8]

Anyway thanks again Gundamhead!

Austin

Latest posts

Back