Voyager

Runway

I All this is my first time here. I Am doing a lighted Star Trek Voyager build with lights.
This is a Monagram product build. My question is this model has a lot of clear windows. And areas for more should i make more windows?
I have gotten alot of great ideas from your videos.

Thanks for any help

I have the same kit too. I started it about 8 years ago, and got as far as filing out the window holes to squares, filling them with clear dental acrylic resin, and didn't get much further. Next steps are to work on the lighting and mask off each window with little pieces of tape for the priming and painting.

Thank you very much if i need more help because i am new at lighting modles
Where do i go on this site. My last post i written in the wrong place?

Thanks again.

I have the same kit too. I started it about 8 years ago, and got as far as filing out the window holes to squares, filling them with clear dental acrylic resin, and didn't get much further. Next steps are to work on the lighting and mask off each window with little pieces of tape for the priming and painting.
Thank you if i need anymore help were do i go to ask?

yeah, I've got one in the shelf queen backlog. I found the recessed windows hard to mask ...

Why can`t i spray the model before putting the windows in? First build on a lighted star ship.
The windows generally can only be inserted from the inside making it difficult if you assemble the model before painting and then try to insert the window from the outside. Unless you decide to just make your own windows from clear plastic trimmed to fit the window opening after painting. Another option would be to paint the unassembled parts (or large sub assemblies that would stilll allow you to reach the inside) then insert the windows from the inside. After you glue the parts together you may need to do some puttying and minor touch up along the seams. If you are neat enough it should be fairly easy to do.

The windows generally can only be inserted from the inside making it difficult if you assemble the model before painting and then try to insert the window from the outside. Unless you decide to just make your own windows from clear plastic trimmed to fit the window opening after painting. Another option would be to paint the unassembled parts (or large sub assemblies that would stilll allow you to reach the inside) then insert the windows from the inside. After you glue the parts together you may need to do some puttying and minor touch up along the seams. If you are neat enough it should be fairly easy to do.
So you guys are telling me to install the lights. Build the entire model then then air brush? Maybe i am blind but the youtube videos i have seen looks like after the light blockings done. They paint before assembly and then do your seams and then touch up?

So you guys are telling me to install the lights. Build the entire model then then air brush? Maybe i am blind but the youtube videos i have seen looks like after the light blockings done. They paint before assembly and then do your seams and then touch up?
You can do that as well. I suggest going with what you are more comfortable with. You can build it in sub-assemblies and then carefully mask your windows and paint the exterior parts, and clean up the seams if you wish. The choice is yours. Just keep in mind that if you do that and are handling and flipping your parts over on a desk or a table that the paint might get dinged or scratched if you don't put down a towel or cloth underneath them. I hope that makes sense.

you could paint the main half parts, glue the windows in, then glue the halves together and then patch up the paint work ...

You can do that as well. I suggest going with what you are more comfortable with. You can build it in sub-assemblies and then carefully mask your windows and paint the exterior parts, and clean up the seams if you wish. The choice is yours. Just keep in mind that if you do that and are handling and flipping your parts over on a desk or a table that the paint might get dinged or scratched if you don't put down a towel or cloth underneath them. I hope that makes sense.
Thank you great advice

Thank you great advice
What color is the hull of Voyager?

That sounds better then what i saw on a site called Starship mordelers.
They recommended Deckhouse blue FS 5526 could not find that color.
But there was a explanation for the color.

Latest posts

Back