Voyager from Fantastic Voyage Cartoon

Ziz said:
Well you gotta add one then. I thought maybe it was some idiosyncracy of where the mold halves separate.

Hey you're right! I obscured one of the indents with putty. All fixed now. Good catch Ziz! Thanks man!

OK my fellow addicts I layed down the first coat of Tamiya Fine Surface Primer:
IMG_1827.jpg

And discovered the gaps where the vertical stabilizer attaches were wider than I thought:
IMG_1829.jpg

So I filled, sanded and primed again:
IMG_1831.jpg

Much better. Still needs a little light sanding here and there to point her up:
IMG_1832.jpg

IMG_1834.jpg

Since taking these photos I've done a little more minor cleanup around the intake vents and the area between the right vent cowling and the tailfin support. Just some leftover putty bits that needed to be cleaned out with a fine needle file and sandpaper. She'll get one more spot application of primer around the intake vents and a spot on the stern where I found a tiny bit of stray AVES putty sticking where it didn't belong.

Then I'll have to decide if I want to spray with flat white enamel or just go with a few coats of Krylon non-yellowing semigloss acrylic right on top of the primer.
The primer comes out really nice and smooth after I hit it with the polishing films.
The flat white enamel may not be necessary.

Anybody have any opinions on that? I'd appreciate any input you guys can offer.

No input Steve...only, keep it coming!!! Love the primer stage!!! Looks great!

TRM said:
No input Steve...only, keep it coming!!! Love the primer stage!!! Looks great!

Thanks TRM. I decided to go with the primer and overcoat with Krylon Satin acrylic. The primer was as white as white gets so I saw no need to overcoat it with enamel. As of this morning the model has had about 3 coats of Krylon. It looks good. Next will be applying the decals to the engine intakes on the front of each wing and the stern exhaust vents. Then a final clearcoat before I take the finished pics!

Nice. That primer is great stuff. I picked up the grey by accident, but it's still awesome primer.

Igard said:
Nice. That primer is great stuff. I picked up the grey by accident, but it's still awesome primer.

Yeah. It's head and shoulders above any other primer I've ever used. So fine and smooth and can be handled in an hour. What more could you ask for? Not cheap but it's worth it!

Nice nice nice...
I must admit that I have no recollection of the cartoon show, but I like your build.
It looks rather kewl with the lighting! 8) 8)

Latest posts

Back