Vintage Hasegawa/MiniCraft P2H/P2v-7 Neptune 1/72 Scale

Really interesting kit! Can't wait to see how you put it together.

Also, you're right, you're friend will love it and it'll also give you a ice incentive to push through and finish!

I wish I had that :p

OK it's on! I have 7 days to get this done, before My buddy gets here. Some sub-assemblies together. Need to paint the interior parts so I can get the cockpit in, and still need decals so I can put the right markings on Her.

This is His Bird.
128368_PC12_a_1000.jpg

128368_PC12_1000.jpg

131444-pc12-640.jpg

Two different tail numbers, and the insignias do not match on one of the aircraft(On top of the wing has no red bar).

Also it is a P2-5F model, and the kit I have is a P2-7. Canopy, and wing tip tanks are different, oh well...

Main ting is I need to find the decals so I can re-mark Her. Any Help?

Here is the photo I am using as a detail reference.
131493_PC7_62xxxx_1000.jpg

Question I have is how to do the exhaust smoke on the wing paint? I have been leaning towards pigments to give that effect, any help would be great.

I also plan on a 'new' paint job for the bird, so there will not be a lot of weathering done. The planes seem well kept up on as far as I can tell. Any input on this thought?

Greg

Texaslobo said:
Question I have is how to do the exhaust smoke on the wing paint? I have been leaning towards pigments to give that effect, any help would be great.

Hey Greg, I've used black chalk (applied and streaked with a very stiff brush), and/or airbrush an acrylic "smoke" paint (Tamiya Smoke X-19 and Vallejo Smoke 70939 are my favourites). The Vallejo is more of a black/brown colour - some exhaust stains (like the ones in your bottom picture, across the tops of the wings) may appear more grey in colour, so check some colour photos.

That's how I weather exhaust on my aircraft. My method might be a little inaccurate, or crude in fashion. I'm sure the other guys might have better approaches...

Hope this helps.

Very cool subject BTW. :)

Jason

Thanks for the info.

Work is still in progress on the Bird, but I am trying to find Seaplane Gray that the USN used on that paint scheme. Anyone know where to find it, or how to make it?

Thanks

Greg

Latest posts

Back