Vintage Hasegawa/MiniCraft P2H/P2v-7 Neptune 1/72 Scale

Hodges

Reaction score
Really interesting kit! Can't wait to see how you put it together.

Also, you're right, you're friend will love it and it'll also give you a ice incentive to push through and finish!

I wish I had that :p

Texaslobo

Reaction score
OK it's on! I have 7 days to get this done, before My buddy gets here. Some sub-assemblies together. Need to paint the interior parts so I can get the cockpit in, and still need decals so I can put the right markings on Her.

This is His Bird.

Two different tail numbers, and the insignias do not match on one of the aircraft(On top of the wing has no red bar).

Also it is a P2-5F model, and the kit I have is a P2-7. Canopy, and wing tip tanks are different, oh well...

Main ting is I need to find the decals so I can re-mark Her. Any Help?

Texaslobo

Reaction score
Here is the photo I am using as a detail reference.

Question I have is how to do the exhaust smoke on the wing paint? I have been leaning towards pigments to give that effect, any help would be great.

I also plan on a 'new' paint job for the bird, so there will not be a lot of weathering done. The planes seem well kept up on as far as I can tell. Any input on this thought?

Greg

JMac

cut. glue. paint. repeat.
Reaction score
Texaslobo said:
Question I have is how to do the exhaust smoke on the wing paint? I have been leaning towards pigments to give that effect, any help would be great.
Hey Greg, I've used black chalk (applied and streaked with a very stiff brush), and/or airbrush an acrylic "smoke" paint (Tamiya Smoke X-19 and Vallejo Smoke 70939 are my favourites). The Vallejo is more of a black/brown colour - some exhaust stains (like the ones in your bottom picture, across the tops of the wings) may appear more grey in colour, so check some colour photos.

That's how I weather exhaust on my aircraft. My method might be a little inaccurate, or crude in fashion. I'm sure the other guys might have better approaches...

Hope this helps.

Very cool subject BTW. :)

Jason

Texaslobo

Reaction score
Thanks for the info.

Work is still in progress on the Bird, but I am trying to find Seaplane Gray that the USN used on that paint scheme. Anyone know where to find it, or how to make it?

Thanks

Greg

Latest posts