Veteran Wargamer, Newbie Scale Modeller!

TheRaceforTerra

Hi guys,

My name is Enrique, and I'm an educator by trade, a veteran wargamer (sci-fi, fantasy and historical), a fledgling youtuber, and a total newbie when it comes to scale models!

I discovered weathering three years ago, thanks to Phil Stutcinskas' seminal work with Forgeworld, and since then, my science-fiction models have become more and more like military models as I adopted all the techniques involved...until I realised that it made more sense to also dip my toes into the same models I was using as a reference!

So, anyway, I am working on my very first military model as we speak, the limited edition 1/16 Panzer IA "Breda" by AMMO/Takom. I am confident that I'll be able to do a decent job in terms of painting and weathering...but the build is really frustrating me. I can do really complex, huge resin kits from Forgeworld that require tons of sanding, filling, and pinning, but somehow this eludes me. Wish me luck!

If and when I manage to finish the Panzer I will cover the weathering in my Youtube channel, as a tutorial for folks who, like me, are not new to painting or weathering, but still find military models daunting. Oh, and if you are a fan of Phil's work, I will soon publish an interview with him...

Thank you, and regards from Germany,

Enrique a.k.a. The Race for Terra

:D well , I guess .
I don't understand how you can have the skills you do and have any issues with a styrene kit , especially one in 1/16 scale .
I'm not familiar with this Phil guy , but maybe post a link to your YouTube channel so we can check out the interview .

Welcome Aboard !

:D well , I guess .
I don't understand how you can have the skills you do and have any issues with a styrene kit , especially one in 1/16 scale .
I'm not familiar with this Phil guy , but maybe post a link to your YouTube channel so we can check out the interview .

Welcome Aboard !

Hey, thanks, urumomo!

How come you don't know Phil? He's the guy who invented hairspray chipping, and he won, among other things, best of show at Euro Militaire in 2006, 2005, and 2004.

Here's an article from Mig Jimenez's own blog, and an excerpt from the book "Painting and Displaying Military Models Volume II” (this is from the intro, also by MIG):

migblog.png

MigBook.png

Regards,

Enrique

Ha ha -- I don't believe any of these origin stories . Someone else always did it first .
You have to build big chit in the 1:1 world for me to have a chance to know who you are . ,,, or maybe if you sold me good weed or something .

Hope to see some photos of your Panzer build here .

Hi guys,
Enrique a.k.a. The Race for Terra
Enrique;

Matey, it's a styrene kit. Everything you know how to do from the wargaming world translates directly over. Only it's easier. And, if you have questions, ask. If I don't know someone else will. We've all been stumped at some point. And, had to make something up as we went along.

Don't forget to post your channel ink for YouTube. Love to see your work. And also, welcome!

Enrique;

Matey, it's a styrene kit. Everything you know how to do from the wargaming world translates directly over. Only it's easier. And, if you have questions, ask. If I don't know someone else will. We've all been stumped at some point. And, had to make something up as we went along.

Don't forget to post your channel ink for YouTube. Love to see your work. And also, welcome!

Thank you, Ian!

I finished the tracks today. Thankfully no disasters to report!

Welcome to the Herd, Enrique!

You're a good example of what I've been telling the old timers who lament that "the hobby is dying out". I tell them that there is a good community of young modelers, but their favorite subjects are wargaming and science fiction. I tell them that even if you're not interested in a subject, you should be able to appreciate the work that goes into producing the finished model. Just like it has been, between the "armor guys", and the "airplane guys", and the 'car guys", and the "ship guys", who all looked down on each other, and they all hated us "figure guys". We're all modelers.

I look forward to seeing your work! Do you ever build any Maschinen Krieger models? That's my foray into sci-fi subjects, though I built the old AMT "Enterprise", and the original X-Wing and Darth Vader's TIE Fighter, when I was a kid (I'm an old guy).

Best regards,
Brad

Hey Brad!

Thank you very much, and I couldn't agree more with what you said. The only thing you got wrong is the part about me being young! Hahah, I am 42, buddy, and I've been painting wargame models since '94. However, I am a scale model n00b! I like everything, really. I have always loved tanks, but my next two scale models after I finish my Panzer IA (WIP in the armor section) are a Rolls-Royce Armored Car (gonna replicate Michael Collin's own), and the Mad Max Interceptor (Aoshima kit).

I have seen Maschinen Krieger models in magazines, but...where can I buy one?

Regards,

Enrique

Thank you, guys! I liked that stuff so much that I already pulled the trigger and bought a MK Falke and some figures! :D First I'll have to finish the Panzer I, though, and then I have a Rolls Royce Armored Car which I am going to paint as Sliabh na mBan, i.e. Michael Collins' car.

Latest posts

Back