Very new to all this

benlfc92

Hi all I’m looking to slowly get into the world of model making. I have no experience with model making or painting but it’s something that has always interested me. After watching the book of boba fett I was looking at getting the Revell RV05678 Slave I 40th Anniversary kit. Would this be a bit to hard for someone just starting? As the box says it’s level 3 build. Cheers for any help you can give me

First off , Welcome Aboard !
You should be fine with that as a first kit .
I'm sure there's members here that have built it so getting any pointers , if needed , shouldn't be a problem .

Welcome to the Herd, ben! Enjoy the hobby, and don't be shy to show pics of your builds, in progress and complete.
Best regards,
Brad

Take your time, read the instructions.
Revell bases difficulty level more off number of parts than anything else from what I've seen on the net

Hi all I’m looking to slowly get into the world of model making. I have no experience with model making or painting but it’s something that has always interested me. After watching the book of boba fett I was looking at getting the Revell RV05678 Slave I 40th Anniversary kit. Would this be a bit to hard for someone just starting? As the box says it’s level 3 build. Cheers for any help you can give me
Hi, you've come to the right place as these guys and gals are great. Lots of help and advice. Only been modeling 4 months myself, great hobby.
Irishvic

Welcome!

I don't think you will have any problem building the kit

The most challenging part will be the paint job, however, all the techniques used are actually not as hard as one might think. It is more a matter of knowing what techniques to use then it is to actually use them

One of the techniques will be to use the "chipping" method. At it most basic, this is simply putting down something over top of an undercoat color that will block the next layer of paint from sticking and can then easily be removed leaving behind that signature chipped paint look of Slave-1

Some people use salt, others using chipping fluid or hairspray, some use masking fluid etc...

For me personally I painted mine a base coat using Tamiya paints, then used some blue Micro Mask masking fluid (got it from Hobby Lobby) applied with a sponge and a stiff brsh

41356643792_02380d973d_o.jpgIMG_5655 by BLAKE HARTMAN, on Flickr

41356645272_58a299d38a_o.jpg

Then I sprayed the red layer, and after it dried, peel off the masking and ta-da

27529193278_85b714c1f6_o.jpgIMG_5657

Very simple actually

And the best part, if you mess up or are not happy, just painted over and try it again

Or you can also refine the edges of the chipping areas with the "sponge" technique. Your tear off a piece of a sponge, dip it in paint, and kind of dab it around.

Tons of videos on you tube for both these techniques

And lastly, you will probably want to do some grime washes in a few areas. Again lots of tutorials for that

Good luck and don't hesitate to ask any questions

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum! Enjoy your kit and the forum is always here if you have any questions while building it.

Welcome to a great hobby.

Welcome to the site and my only suggestion is do not be afraid to ask questions. I have found this to be an old fashioned friendly modelling forum.
On some sites there can be a lack of thought for new modellers, NOT here though. In the short time I have been visiting It is appreciated that members have widely differing interests and skills, but people chip in and try to help, suggest, guide others to try something different, use a different approach etc.

Dont be afraid to ask the same question again if the initial suggestion was not understood, or you seek a different route to the same idea. Communication is the way to learn or indeed guide others if you find something that works in your modelling art.

In my case due to some physical and mental health challenges, I am just getting back into my Modelling interests after almost 8 years of lacking in motivation. So my main activity has been enjoying reading and seeing what others are working on and chipping in with thoughts that I hope have been helpful to others based on my military modelling history and research over too many years to think about.

So get involved where you think somebody will help and have fun with your hobby and new friends.

Aye'

John

I have found this to be an old fashioned friendly modelling forum.
On some sites there can be a lack of thought for new modellers, NOT here though
I will have to second this.
I'm most active here because of the community and the forum software.
I've tried some sub-Reddits, and Facebook groups in the past but noticed finding a group with high level builds usually come with gatekeepers and elitists out the wazoo.
This forum has plenty of talent and skill, and I've yet to see an uncalled for reaction.

Also, welcome!

Latest posts

Back