Vehicle Headliners

RocketFoot

Are any of you guys painting vehicle interior headliners, A pillars and rear quarters? I've been watching a bunch of tutorials on Youtube but I haven't seen this addressed! On one hand, you aren't going to see the interior roof with most casual viewing but if someone pics it up and sees overspray or body color in the interior, it might kinda stand out! I am thinking about brushing black primer on the inside roof to match the interior color on my 71 Mach 1 builds...I'm just curious to hear what other builders are doing? Thanks!

Don't let folks handle your models and you eliminate a lot of issues. I build aircraft and the areas people can't see without picking it up I typically don't paint. No one touches my models but me. I typically put my builds on a display base which helps to eliminate someones desire to pick them up.

Don't let folks handle your models and you eliminate a lot of issues. I build aircraft and the areas people can't see without picking it up I typically don't paint. No one touches my models but me. I typically put my builds on a display base which helps to eliminate someones desire to pick them up.
I typically wouldn't but I don't think my attention to detail would allow me to not paint it, LOL! I am planing on spraying the interior tub with flat black primer and then gloss clear coating the vinyl seats. I might paint the headliner with flat black primer as well just so I'm happy with it!

I did read about folks using cloth surgical tape and even a tissue paper/Elmer's glue technique but I am not going that far, HaHa!

I've always painted my headliners, etc. Typically, I'll use a flat finish (looks more like fabric than gloss, or semi) in a color similar or complimentary to the rest of the interior. Generally, not real difficult to do.

I typically wouldn't but I don't think my attention to detail would allow me to not paint it, LOL! I am planing on spraying the interior tub with flat black primer and then gloss clear coating the vinyl seats. I might paint the headliner with flat black primer as well just so I'm happy with it!

I did read about folks using cloth surgical tape and even a tissue paper/Elmer's glue technique but I am not going that far, HaHa!
I believe that if you feel it should be done then it will just bug you if you leave it. It's really personal choice but for me, it would drive me nuts wishing I had done it even if it's never to be seen again.

I always take photos of my builds as they progress so it's kinda nice looking back to remember all the work that went into it. Pantherman

Judges look at headliners, believe it or not.

It seems trivial, but headliners are something I recently started finishing and I was surprised to see that the judges actually picked up on it. I even won 1st place in a class because of the headliner. It was very close between me and another build and they ruled in my favor because I had that one extra thing...... a headliner.

Usually I just paint the ceiling and roof pillars and thats enough. But something else I do from time to time is I have some thin sheets of foam that are about 1mm thick. I cut out a sheet of foam, paint it to match the interior, and glue it to the ceiling.

Latest posts

Back