Vallejo Questions

I dropped into Micheals last night but couldn't find any acrylic airbrush medium -

Scott M. you must have some thinner in stock - I think I'm going into Freddy on Friday to get the kids passports, if I get down there I'll drop in, either this week or next.

Elm City Hobbies said:
Ken....what are you using to think Vallejo? Their thinner? Water? Something else?

I use their thinner now (think you sent it to me when I cashed in my gift cert. from the contest) but I used to use distilled water from the super market.

Both methods seemed to work well but thinning with the water was more work, I had to stir the paint cup every couple of minutes or so, as it seemed to separate quickly.

The thinner works much better now.

Scott Girvan said:
I dropped into Micheals last night but couldn't find any acrylic airbrush medium -

Scott M. you must have some thinner in stock - I think I'm going into Freddy on Friday to get the kids passports, if I get down there I'll drop in, either this week or next.

Yes, lots of thinner in stock, 17ml, 33ml, and the new 200ml sizes!!

@Ken, great....was just wondering if you were using the thinner or some other concoction! LOL

OK since, I've used the Thiner/cleaner mix. Works great but it gets a little expensive. Mostly been thinning with Windex. Works great and cheap. Use Distilled water. Works but takes a lot of mixing to get just right. Thinned with Medea Airbrush Cleaner. Works but I need to use it more to be sure. Not too sure about the techno stuff about what's said about using Windex but I that's been the winner for me. Between color changes and clean up I use the Medea Airbrush Cleaner. No clogging or anything. For model color or game color works great with Windex on my end here.

Are you using name brand windex with ammonia (spelling) or just cheapo blue water?

Scott Girvan said:
Are you using name brand windex with ammonia (spelling) or just cheapo blue water?

Name brand. With the ammonia in it. It doesn't affect it much unless you let it sit in your airbrush overnight or something odd like that.

OK cool. I'll get some and try it out. When that proves to work it'll mean more $$ for more paint at ECH.

ScaleModelMadman said:
I spray Vallejo at 12 psi and love the control I have.

You can watch a video of me painting on my youtube channel and the paint slowly appears on the vehicle as opposed to a flood of color on the first pass. You also see absolutely no clouds of over spray of any kind flying around in the air either.

Experiment to find what's best for you.

Greetings,

I just switched over to Vallejo and have been pretty happy with the results. I was interested in viewing your painting video but couldn't tell which one you were referring too. I would really like to see the results you are getting. Also, I read through this entire thread but missed what you are using, if any, as a thinner. The Model Air spray great right out of the bottle but I want to start spraying the Model Color. I also know what you mean about the higher pressure. I spray the Vallejo primer around 30 psi and get excellent results. I believe I got that tip from a Vallejo website.

Happy modeling,

cbreeze

cbreeze said:
Greetings,

I just switched over to Vallejo and have been pretty happy with the results. I was interested in viewing your painting video but couldn't tell which one you were referring too. I would really like to see the results you are getting. Also, I read through this entire thread but missed what you are using, if any, as a thinner. The Model Air spray great right out of the bottle but I want to start spraying the Model Color.

I use Vallejo's own thinner to spray their paint line. I believe the footage of me spraying at 12 PSI is in the beginning of this video, (although It's LIFECOLOR paints here) Look at the over spray (if you can find it) ;)

SMA contest entry part two - Painting

*No paint booth, no respirator, no giant clouds of paint filling the air around me...

As for the results, this is the finished build.

DODGE12.jpg

Thanks for the response. All I can say is you do awesome work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cbreeze

Latest posts

Back