Vallejo Paints

I picked up some paint for the F-14 Tomcat and F-4
Everything I saw says to use "LIght Gull Grey" FS 16440/36440 (as far as I can tell, the same color, but the 1 in 16440 indicating Gloss vs the 3 in 36440 being matte)

I could not find a direct Tamiya equivalent since that is my preferred paint but I did find a Vallejo FS36440

However, it was called Deck Tan. Of course this is much different than the Tamiya Deck Tan.

looking online at color samples, they appeared to vary wildly. Sometimes even the same paint by the same manufacturer had different color samples shown for it depending on who was listing it

I ordered the Vallejo "Deck Tan" and I also ordered Mission Modes Light Gull Grey FS 16440.

I doubted they would match, but after testing them out, they appear to be very close (the mission models one being maybe a bit darker?)

In fact it was almost the kind of difference I would expect from gloss vs matte as adding a gloss sometimes seems to darken it a bit

example, here is a color sample from https://www.eduard.com/mission-mode...dels-paint-light-gull-gray-fs-16440-30ml.html
mmp-069-lighte-gull-grey_z1.jpg

and here is the color sample of the exact same paint but from same paint from a different vendor????

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0114/0568/8898/products/mmp-069_500x500.jpg?v=1580854275
mmp-069_500x500.jpg

although i am not sure if either truly represent the color seen in person. It feels almost like it is somewhere in between

Last edited:
Yes , a color will be more intense / vibrant in gloss vs matt .
And these paint samples on a monitor represent who knows what , since it will depend on your own monitor settings and how the color sample was uploaded to the vendor's site .

Yes , a color will be more intense / vibrant in gloss vs matt .
And these paint samples on a monitor represent who knows what , since it will depend on your own monitor settings and how the color sample was uploaded to the vendor's site .
Yes sir.
Monitor settings have quite a bit to do with it.
Being back lit, as opposed to outside with a color chip, being illuminated from the top, gets to be a voodoo incantation.
Inside in a sunny window. Outside with the garage door open. Partly sunny, partly cloudy.
What?
With a beer, without a beer.

What looks right, is right.

I picked up some paint for the F-14 Tomcat and F-4
Everything I saw says to use "LIght Gull Grey" FS 16440/36440 (as far as I can tell, the same color, but the 1 in 16440 indicating Gloss vs the 3 in 36440 being matte)

I could not find a direct Tamiya equivalent since that is my preferred paint but I did find a Vallejo FS36440

However, it was called Deck Tan. Of course this is much different than the Tamiya Deck Tan.

looking online at color samples, they appeared to vary wildly. Sometimes even the same paint by the same manufacturer had different color samples shown for it depending on who was listing it

I ordered the Vallejo "Deck Tan" and I also ordered Mission Modes Light Gull Grey FS 16440.

I doubted they would match, but after testing them out, they appear to be very close (the mission models one being maybe a bit darker?)

In fact it was almost the kind of difference I would expect from gloss vs matte as adding a gloss sometimes seems to darken it a bit

example, here is a color sample from https://www.eduard.com/mission-mode...dels-paint-light-gull-gray-fs-16440-30ml.html
View attachment 88901

and here is the color sample of the exact same paint but from same paint from a different vendor????

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0114/0568/8898/products/mmp-069_500x500.jpg?v=1580854275
View attachment 88902

although i am not sure if either truly represent the color seen in person. It feels almost like it is somewhere in between
A83FB5F3-3052-4A1E-909F-9A5F785A28DE.png
This was a quick mix with the least amount of colors. There are others, but you don’t want to mix three gallons, right? LOL
See what you think.

View attachment 88944
This was a quick mix with the least amount of colors. There are others, but you don’t want to mix three gallons, right? LOL
See what you think.
Thanks!

I will have to give that a try

I had since came across a post elsewhere that where someone had come up with a match to the original FS color swatch using
http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/304729-gull-gray-paint-match/ TamiyaMix.png

1637813875261.jpeg

and of course the same thing with Vallejo not even close with the color swatch above, but again lighting plays a part as well

vallejo_model_color_70.986_deck_tan.jpg

But yet again, here is a Model air FS36440 and this looks closer if just a tad dark

It can be maddening having even the same paint line using the FS color but having two different coors

allejo-model-air-71121-usn-light-gull-grey-fs36440.jpg

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
That’s what I was touching on briefly before.
You could go so far down the rabbit hole, and not get anything done. I like the arcforum mix.
Looks good. Works in your brand too.
Model Color, too green.
The model Air looks more like Dark Gull Grey to me, darker, greener, but now we’re back to the beholder.
It’s an odd color, with a very long history in the USN. Just a tic of purple.
My suggestion, lacks the purple, hence the -2 in both the Red and the Blue. Or so the program says. I was trying to stay away from the newer colors, as they are not available everywhere to everyone. But, this one was the least colors and amount.
Add weathering, age, light, repairs and it can get out of hand, real quick.
Another mix that came up was closer still, with about 5 colors and nearly 40 parts.
LOL too much. You could repaint the fleet.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back