Vallejo Paints

Thanks and at least the Scalehobbyist one that looks like Vallejo german field gray is called gray green which is much more accurate since it's is much more green than gray.

Yeah, paint manufacturers' color designations are sometimes more of a suggestion than a specific designation, even when there is an FS number on the label.
Don’t get me stated on this one, please. Ha.
I’m retentive enough, projects have been brought to a screeching halt for lack of some color mix or the color is elusive altogether and no one alive has seen it in the last 100 years. What a waste of time. Probably be my condemning sin, ‘you wasted so much time Pep’.
But Jim, if it looks right, it is right.
I know, you need a good starting point and I’ve actually settled on a hobby paint mixing program
called iModelKit. I am not affiliated with them in any way, shape or form. A small caveat though, some of the chips the manufacturers suggest are quite a bit off. When you are talking over 20,000+ chips to consider, I’ll give ‘em an easy 100 or so.
Can’t recommend this enough. Saved me some sanity.
If you fall down that far into the rabbit hole you have to say enough is enough and call something the ‘standard’ or you won’t get anything done. Your mileage may vary.
The entire line of Vallejo is listed.

Don’t get me stated on this one, please. Ha.
I’m retentive enough, projects have been brought to a screeching halt for lack of some color mix or the color is elusive altogether and no one alive has seen it in the last 100 years. What a waste of time. Probably be my condemning sin, ‘you wasted so much time Pep’.
But Jim, if it looks right, it is right.
I know, you need a good starting point and I’ve actually settled on a hobby paint mixing program
called iModelKit. I am not affiliated with them in any way, shape or form. A small caveat though, some of the chips the manufacturers suggest are quite a bit off. When you are talking over 20,000+ chips to consider, I’ll give ‘em an easy 100 or so.
Can’t recommend this enough. Saved me some sanity.
If you fall down that far into the rabbit hole you have to say enough is enough and call something the ‘standard’ or you won’t get anything done. Your mileage may vary.
The entire line of Vallejo is listed.
So far I've avoided getting wrapped up in whether my colors are completely accurate, if I did I don't think I'd ever get anything done. LOL. It's just the name thing bugs the crap out of me. I got so used to mixing Tamiya paints when I was building aircraft I actually enjoyed doing it. Getting used to a new brand for brush painting is a new learning curve for me but I'll get the hang of their colors eventually.

"Tamiya German ambush colors would like to know your location"
XF-60, 61 and 64 are so inaccurate, Tamiya had a do-over with XF-88, 89 and 90. The cool thing though is that you can take both sets and do some really interesting color modulation, which I'll probably use when I build my Takom Panther down the road.

I also bought some yellow zinc chromate from AK Interactive and from Tamiya, they are very different.

Well , no surprise that 2 companies have different ideas of what a color is .
In fact , I've purchased Vallejo Model Color in the past with the same name and # and they were totally different colors .
Heh , come to think of it , it was their " grey green " being one of them .

Part of the reason why I miss Polly Scale. I loved them so much. I have Polly Scale paints that I bought in AB Charles & Son hobby shop when I lived in Pittsburgh in 2001. I have to take the lid off of the jar with channel locks, but there is still viable paint inside.
When Testors decided to discontinue them, I stocked up on some various weathering colors and other shades.

I like this AK lacquer acrylic , Real Colors .
I assume it is similar to Tamiya's from what I read in other forums -- I've never used any Tamiya paint myself .

Tamiya paints are high quality and when thinned properly, airbrush like silk. That yellow zinc chromate I have from the AK line is their lacquer type, the bottle is the same as Tamiya.

I've always approached any paint as a starting point or an approximation, whether the label sports an FS number or any other kind of designation. Colors on an object change. Paint on the hull of a tank, the deck of a ship, the wing of an aircraft, or the hull of a space, will discolor with time, even if the causes are different (weathering, on land or sea, radiation or dust abrasion, or what else, in space). Dyed cloth will gradually fade, even if it's "color-fast". I look at references, if I can find any, and then try to achieve colors that look right to me.

Now, that doesn't mean I dismiss accuracy, and I recognize that some modelers do want to match a color as precisely as possible. To each his own. If that is part of enjoying the hobby for you, that's the important thing. I just choose not to worry too much about this particular detail, because the cost in aggravation outweighs the enjoyment, for me.

Now, if your 18th century Prussian infantry officer figure has a mustache...

I'm putting together a paint order and this made me think of your post here ,
When someone says " silver grey " , is this what you imagine ? :
https://www.scalehobbyist.com/catag...pg=1&ppp=48&sb=stocknumber_a&so=d&p=3&man=AKI
;)
Yeah, looks beige, tan, khaki to me. Silver-grey is what I think of when I think of aluminum with an oxidized layer, or the steel pipe handrail on a set of steps outside, a rail that has not rusted, because it is rubbed clean by all the hands that use it, but shows that darker gray color.

Yeah, Jim, baby poop, or spicy mustard ;)

I don't know who names these things .
But yeah , it's like a green-khaki or something . Silver-grey would be what most normal people would imagine as you describe .
I don't really pay attention to the names since , like this one , they are meaningless . This one was so detached from the reality that I immediately thought of Jim's post here .
Plus , colors will look completely different depending on what the primer / base color is , how dense the application and what kinda light you're seeing the model lit with .
I can always blend paints and add filters to get where I want so I just buy colors that will probably be in the ballpark for something I'm shooting for .

I don't know who names these things .
But yeah , it's like a green-khaki or something . Silver-grey would be what most normal people would imagine as you describe .
I don't really pay attention to the names since , like this one , they are meaningless . This one was so detached from the reality that I immediately thought of Jim's post here .
Plus , colors will look completely different depending on what the primer / base color is , how dense the application and what kinda light you're seeing the model lit with .
I can always blend paints and add filters to get where I want so I just buy colors that will probably be in the ballpark for something I'm shooting for .
C13FB06A-61D5-499E-8EA0-6F0F57ABEB6A.jpeg

0B585F35-3D42-4544-9B0D-03C0A7ABCEC2.pngI'm putting together a paint order and this made me think of your post here ,
When someone says " silver grey " , is this what you imagine ? :
https://www.scalehobbyist.com/catag...pg=1&ppp=48&sb=stocknumber_a&so=d&p=3&man=AKI
;)
To get back to your first question, no.
Not by a long shot.
I get, the artistic side of it. Your model, build the way you want. Completion over accuracy. But, that color is off by about a country mile and a half.
The thing that got me boring into it in the first place was the Slate Grey. The shade of blue, they were willing to say was the color was, especially the Academy suggestion was unreal.
We are talking a mid-blue.
Looking at the chart, I noticed BS 39 is not
Listed. Another note, is that this chart differs slightly from the equivalents of today. BS 381c
This below, to me matches closer to the chips.
I’d be more confident started from here, and weathering to taste.
D3F9AEEF-C981-436F-980A-BA54BAEA9567.png

Last edited:
Okay I cannot bite my tongue on this. I like Vallejo paints for their ease to use a brush with but for the love of God. German field gray is Green and deep sea green is gray. This does not make sense to me at all.
PREACH BRUTHA

I have said this myself, but then, if you look at the RLM colours, their names in german often make no sense. Braunviolett you would expect to be a bluey/brown colour from the name, not green.

Latest posts

Back