Vallejo Black Shade Wash ... dries gray?

Daf57

More Jerry Cans!!
Wanted to try the Vallejo washes, got a chance last night. Applied some of the black wash, somewhat heavily, to well cured enamel paint in the recesses of a pickup firewall. Woke up this morning and in the deepest recesses (most wash) it's turned a light gray ... not the black wash I was expecting. It did stay black(er) in some of the shallow spots. What's going on? I washed it all off and used some black Detailer and it worked fine. So are the Vallejo washes meant to used differently? Maybe I'm not understanding the application?

Thanks
Daf

I have used the black wash quite a bit, and it has always come out black. Being a wash, many factors could alter the color.

Color that it is going over, lighter where not as heavy a wash went in....or even if the bottle of wash was mixed thoroughly enough.

Yeah - I'll give it another try. It went over a gloss dark red. The odd thing was that it was more gray where it was heaviest. Must have been something with the particular application because, as a test, I left some in the mixing tray and it dried black. Go figure. ::)

Thanks
Daf

Daf, Les at awesomepaintjobs.com offers his recipe on youtube.com where you can mix your own black and brown washes.

Latest posts

Back