USS Odysseus NCC-1978-A

Quaralane

Okay, with my next project, I'll be doing something of a 'sequel' to a couple of previous builds.

What I'll be working on is the followup to my previous 'Pegasus' class USS Odysseus, NCC-1978.
In the storyline, the Pegasus class version is destroyed during the Dominion war during a heroic rescue against long odds.
She gets replaced by a new ship, and Intrepid Class ship
odysseus-1978-a-00-plaque.jpg

For the build, I'll be working from the 1/677 scale Revell re-issue of the Voyager kit
odysseus-1978-a-00-box.jpg

Got lots of nice, well detailed parts to work with, to produse a fairly large model.
odysseus-1978-a-01.jpg
odysseus-1978-a-02.jpg
odysseus-1978-a-03.jpg
odysseus-1978-a-04.jpg

As well as a few extras to help spice things up.
Namely, the Aeroshuttle and Delta Flyer from Federation Models and the photoetch set from Paragrafix.
I will also be lightling this build
odysseus-1978-a-05.jpg

Youtube link:
Intrepid Class-USS Odysseus NCC-1978-A-Part 1

Looking forward to this one Q! Love the back story. Your original Odysseus is awesome.

Jeff, here's an army of them!

bananadance.gif

Going to be a LOT of window drilling before I get very far.
Hope to live up to expectations with this one

Great project.
Can't wait for the next videos... :D

Nice looking project Q! You've got all the extra bits to make this truly special. I'll be following your progress with anticipation!

Looking forward to this one - I have a Voyager kit I'm very slowly making and lighting at the moment (I though take some pictures and start a thread!)

What are you doing with the Aeroshuttle? Are you cutting out the section under the saucer for it to dock?

@custardchris,
Yes, I plan on opening the bay for it.
I even found a pic over at Memory Alpha of how it might have looked during a launch to base it on

All right, now we have some actual work on the model.

With lighting in mind, I started drilling out windows won the upper "saucer" using a small grinding bit in my Dremel Stylus
odysseus-1978-a-06_zps652fb4f0.jpg

Quick break from the drilling to show off a "correction" piece I got from Federation Models in the form of their resin 1/677 scale speedboat shuttlecraft.
On the left is the kit shuttle, on the right, the resin one.
It's easy to see the difference in accuracy between the two.
odysseus-1978-a-07_zps239dbd27.jpg

Back to drilling holes for windows in the upper saucer
odysseus-1978-a-08_zps9d66c3c2.jpg
odysseus-1978-a-09_zpsd614a1c9.jpg
odysseus-1978-a-10_zps7ea639f8.jpg

Using the templates provoided in the etch set from ParaGrafix, I drilled the holes for the windows that weren't included in the kit molds.
I also opened up the windows for the conference room and the ready room
odysseus-1978-a-11_zps3742cd8b.jpg

Drilled out the windows on lower saucer and printed up decals for the shuttlecraft and Aeroshuttle to mark them for the Odysseus
odysseus-1978-a-12_zps9f1c4262.jpg

Youtube link:
Intrepid Class-USS Odysseus NCC-1978-A-Part 2

Nice progress! I don't envy you scraping the detail off of the top of the ship to replace with photo etch. And a lot of work on those windows....

Thanks, John.
Figuring I'll finish the windows, then get after that top detail with a sanding drum in the Dremel

Great update Q! Looks like some very nice additions you have for this. Fab work!

Latest posts

Back