USS North Carolina - Trumpeter 1/700

blakeh1

This is the Trumpeter 1/700 kit with White Ensign Models photoetch

one of the pain points is some of the photo etch is just too fragile/small to work with, In some case things like the railing are so thin that it is impossible to cut off the etch set without damaging it

also even if I was able to get things off cleanly, the parts are so thin that just brushing against it will deform it and I would be afraid of handling it just moving it on the shelf

The main radar for example

Other parts are still very useful and things like the cranes and catapults really benefit from it

For the color scheme I am aiming for the measure 32 18-D camo scheme post Sept 1944

Thanks to Roland Thompson for much of this info and setting me on the path to finding the right colors/scheme

Apparently it had the same scheme earlier, but some of the patterns on the verticals are a bit different and the earlier version of the scheme had the pattern extend onto the deck instead of the deck being Deck Blue after the Sept 1944 repaint from what I understand
The only major change on the verticals pattern is the on the starboard hull in just behind the hawse pipe.
The panel at the waterline was a black pattern but was changed to Ocean Grey 5-0
seen below in the before (black) and after (Ocean Grey)

1670352125349.png
1670352155041.png

It was hard finding good references for this however showing various angles of the ship so some of it is my best guesstimate

It also does not help that Trumpeter's color guide is wrong in both colors and pattern in places

For example, they have it using Navy Blue in place of Dull Black
She used 5-L, 5-O and black

Also, can't use the modern day museum paint scheme as reference either since while close, they repeated the same pattern for both sides and like the Trumpeter guide, used 5-N instead of black and they also did not paint the deck and left it tan/brown

As for paints, I am using ScaleColors camo set of 5-L (Light Grey), 5-O (Ocean Grey) and black

While I did pick up a bottle of the Deck Blue (20-B), I had already painted the Deck with Tamiya paints which turned out a near match for the Deck Blue

I started on the pattern for the superstructure

PC032221 (2).JPG
PC032224 (2).JPG

Last edited:
Very nice! What's your process for applying the dazzle measure? For example, are you airbrushing, and using (meticulous) masking on the vertical surfaces for the pattern? Some other methods?

Very nice! What's your process for applying the dazzle measure? For example, are you airbrushing, and using (meticulous) masking on the vertical surfaces for the pattern? Some other methods?

On the superstructure it is all hand painted with a brush. Due to the un-eveness of the surfaces I felt I could get away with doing it that way without a masking nightmare..

The Scale Colors paint is meant to be airbrushed straight out of the bottle, and as such, it has a similar consistency to Vallejo Model Air so I have to do many thin coats and build it up to avoid streaking and get good color coverage

Once done with all the verticals I will go back and clean up the deck and horizontal areas with the deck blue

On larger scale like 1/350 I would definitely mask and airbrush as much of those areas as possible though

On the hull however, I am masking. In fact I just finished airbrushing the light grey areas on the hull and pulling the tape off

I sprayed some of the hull pattern a bit larger so when I go over with the next color I can overlap a bit to clean it up

Also put the two side cranes on, and primed one of the catapults. They were a total pain to build and impossible to handle without bending something so they are a bit sloppier than I would like

here is as she looks a few minutes ago

PC062170 (2).JPGPC062174 (2).JPG

PC062169 (2).JPG
PC062180 (2).JPGPC062166 (2).JPGPC062178.JPG
PC062171 (2).JPG

Thanks for describing your process. I wondered if you had painted the superstructure by hand. I agree, masking would be a lot of work.
I've done similar camo but in much smaller scale, 1/1200. In that case, I did mask the superstructures, but in that scale, it was easier to mask and airbrush than to paint by hand. Then I just touched up oversprayed areas by hand.
Looking forward to your next updates on the Showboat!
Best regards,
Brad

Added small details like radr and lifeboats to the superstructure

PC082172 (2).JPG

PC082167 (2).JPG

Really having difficulty with the photo-etch. I have to figure out how to straighten the railings. but the stuff is so thin and fragile it keeps getting messed
up

PC082166 (2).JPGPC082170 (2).JPG

Got the black laid down on the hull, that leaves just a few 5-0 patches left to do

Also I learned the hard way, Hobby Lobby's cheap masking tape is not a good substitute for Tamiya tape. The edges are a bit rough compared to the edge you get with Tamiya tape

PC142156 (2).JPG
PC142154 (2).JPG
PC142155 (2).JPG

PC142160 (2).JPG

Also fixed some of the worst bending, and while not perfect, at least looks more passable at normal viewing distance vs zoomed in photos

PC142159 (2).JPGPC142158 (2).JPG

Using CA and some tweezers

Main problem us handling while assembling and bending stuff
Ya, they are fiddly. I finally picked up a PE bending tool. It and a razor blade work well with flattening out PE railings. I also use multiple types of tweezers and found that using white Elmers glue works the best for attaching the PE during the initial installation then going back later with CA to strengthen the bond. White glue gives you time to adjust the PE yet has just enough bond to hold it in place, and it isn't as tacky or messy as CA.

Ya, they are fiddly. I finally picked up a PE bending tool. It and a razor blade work well with flattening out PE railings. I also use multiple types of tweezers and found that using white Elmers glue works the best for attaching the PE during the initial installation then going back later with CA to strengthen the bond. White glue gives you time to adjust the PE yet has just enough bond to hold it in place, and it isn't as tacky or messy as CA.
Thanks, I will give it a try

I do have a photo-etch tool coming for Christmas so hopefully that helps as well

Nice finish! Looks like there some seepage under the masking in some spots, though.

Nice finish! Looks like there some seepage under the masking in some spots, though.

Yeah, I was using the cheap Hobby Lobby knock-off masking tape instead of the Tamiya tape and it does not get as good of an edge

the lazy part of me chalks it up to chipping in action :p

similar to how the edges of this pic of the USS Iowa look

6533248933_9d672f7685_b.jpg

Yeah, I've had that happen, too, even with Tamiya's tape. It happens. The color bleed didn't matter, but to smooth out the edge, I used a toothpick to burnish it down.

Latest posts

Back