USS Enterprise E from Star Trek Nemesis

Quaralane

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 22, 2009
Messages
10,812
Reaction score
82
Seems to be coming. Likely looks less bright in person
 

Hagoth

Member
Joined
Mar 11, 2015
Messages
391
Reaction score
5
I have this kit as well. Interested to watch your progress. Lighting is looking very good so far.
 

trekriffic

Active Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2012
Messages
571
Reaction score
52
Did some work on the quantum torpedo port...

A slot was drilled and filed out previously for the quantum torpedo launch port which is just above the Captain’s yacht in the underside of the saucer. The port will glow blue thanks to a transparent blue styrene part leftover from the 1/350 TOS Enterprise light kit. The part was glued in behind the opening with epoxy. It will be lit with a 2mm LED:


USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP - Quantum Torpedo Port
by Steve J, on Flickr

I glued the K size power jack into the secondary hull with epoxy. Later I’ll pack some AVES Apoxy Sculpt in around it for added strength:


USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP - Power Jack Installed
by Steve J, on Flickr

The inboard and outboard pylon halves were glued together with Testors tube glue for both pylons:


USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP - Pylon Inboard Half Attached
by Steve J, on Flickr

After spraying with adhesion promoter followed by Krylon Grey primer I will attach the upper nacelle grill halves using metal foil adhesive which is basically a tacky white glue. This water based glue will not craze clear plastic parts. I had already painted the raised center strip with Krylon white primer over Krylon flat black for light blocking down the middle of the clear covers:


USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP - Nacelle Grill PE
by Steve J, on Flickr

Took about two hours to finish gluing and cleaning up the brass nacelle grills with isopropyl alcohol on a cotton swab. The metal foil adhesive makes a sticky mess and there’s no way to avoid getting it on the painted side of the grills while you work to separate and space the grills while burnishing them down:


USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP - Nacelle Grill PE Installed
by Steve J, on Flickr

More to come. Think I’ll work on the impulse engines next.
 

trekriffic

Active Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2012
Messages
571
Reaction score
52
Update...

I had been debating whether or not to open up the window ports or just rely on gloss white paint to give the illusion of lit windows. Then I thought about how cool those low light shots of the E looked with all those rows of lit up window ports so I finally decided to just go ahead and bite the bullet...

Using a pinvise and a fine pointed round file I commenced drilling out the saucer windows. Some of them will not be drilled out so I can paint them black later on. This took me about 6 hours and I am probably about only half finished with the upper saucer:


USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP- Drilling Out the Saucer Window Ports
by Steve J, on Flickr

The windows show up well when backlit. Still have a few hundred more to drill out:


USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP- Saucer Windows
by Steve J, on Flickr

After drilling for What seemed like hours on end I took a break to work on the impulse engines and shuttle control room part...

This is one of the two impulse engine vents. I sanded off the raised detail on the clear kit part and glued the PE grills in place with metal foil adhesive per the PE instructions. Then I used the aftermarket decal, putting it on the inside face of the clear part. It will be lit by a red LED:


USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP- impulse Engine Vent
by Steve J, on Flickr

I removed a section of the saucer shuttle bay control room face and glued in a rectangular piece of clear styrene. The PE window frame will be glued on over the clear styrene with metal foil adhesive. Then I will use styrene strip to frame around the PE frame as the windows appear to be recessed from what I see in images of the external bay. The windows will be lit by ambient light inside the saucer:


USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP- Saucer Shuttle Bay Control Room
by Steve J, on Flickr

OK... well... back to drilling windows. Hope to be done with them by July.

Steve
 

Quaralane

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 22, 2009
Messages
10,812
Reaction score
82
That is a LOT of drilling.
Last time I did anything like that was back with the old AMT fiber optic Enterprise D and Deep Space Nine kits
 

trekriffic

Active Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2012
Messages
571
Reaction score
52
That is a LOT of drilling.
Last time I did anything like that was back with the old AMT fiber optic Enterprise D and Deep Space Nine kits
Yep. I had the fiber optic D too. That was easy compared to this though, you only had to drill a single hole for each window for the fiber strand to fit thru.
For the E, I drill at least two holes for each window and then work the drill bit in and out, back and forth, in the slot to clean out the remaining plastic between the holes. I also clean up and debris left on the inside of the hull.
I had the Deep Space 9 kit too but ended up giving it to my nephew some years ago without ever opening it.
 
Top