USS Abaddon-Goliath Class Dreadnought-Now with Links to Finished Pics and Video

trekriffic

I'm participating in a Star Trek 50th Anniversay group build over on AST. The theme is Star Trek TOS naturally; my contribution to the cause is a super dreadnought made out of two Polar Lights 1/1000 scale TOS Enterprises and some parts from an old F-16 Fighting Falcon snap-kit. Anyway, here's a pic of where she's at now and a link to the build thread in case anyone is interested. Oh and you don't have to be a forum member to view the thread...

27272845190_435c0c63b1_c.jpgMajor Assembly Done by trekriffic, on Flickr

27272845600_f23fcddb4c_c.jpgBeauty Shot by trekriffic, on Flickr

Linky:
http://www.allscaletrek.com/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=3577

Comments here or there most welcome! :)

Re: Super Dreadnought TOS Style

Quaralane said:
Definitely an interesting variant, Trek

Thanks Q. She packs quite a punch lemme tell you. She uses captured Romulan and salvaged Doomsday Machine technology in her construction. I've got a whole backstory I'm working on based on fan and canon inspired events in the Star Trek timeline. Most of it involving the Federation-Klingon Cold War.
Here's a photo of her Captain, Karis Tatenen, known as the "Hero of the Battle of Vonra" and the "Destroyer of Klingons":

27492034342_7eafd91e32_o.jpgCaptain Karis Tatenen by trekriffic, on Flickr

Looking great! I could see the Federation making an experimetal anti-proton weapon- maybe something with a wide field of fire for use against cloaked ships...

The build looks great- though I've always wanted to see a TOS Dreadnought using "phase two" nacelles....
I dog the new parts- make her as unique as possible.
Maybe use an aztek pattern from the Refit even- to show it's advanced tech?

Jason Abbadon said:
Looking great! I could see the Federation making an experimetal anti-proton weapon- maybe something with a wide field of fire for use against cloaked ships...

The build looks great- though I've always wanted to see a TOS Dreadnought using "phase two" nacelles....
I dog the new parts- make her as unique as possible.
Maybe use an aztek pattern from the Refit even- to show it's advanced tech?

Thanks Jason. The weapons pod under the saucer supports a twin barrel mega-phaser turret which offers a wide firing arc. The weapons pod also has three photon torpedo ports. On the bow is an emitter array equipped with the anti-proton beam technology. It can be tuned to fire a narrow beam for destroying targets at great distances, much further than a standard phaser could reach, or it can fire a wider beam for more of a shotgun effect. The ship also has cloaking capability although it must decloak to fire its weapons.
By the way, I'm calling this vessel the USS ABADDON. It's named after the biblical angel of vengeance and destruction from Revelations, lord of the bottomless pit. Her main purpose it to destroy those who would threaten the safety of the Federation and it's allies.

Last edited:

Posted an update yesterday along with some other shots:

Super Dreadnought - Page 6 - All Scale Trek

She really does look great from so many angles. I think it has a lot to do with the double thick primary hull and thickened pylons and secondary hull. They give her a sense of mass to balance out the weight of the third nacelle.

Can't wait for the custom decals to arrive this week.

Very cool! I remember when I first got my "Star Fleet Technical Manual" back in the day, and I saw the other designs, from the destroyer to the dreadnaught, and I wondered why there weren't kits of them (that was before the big black slab appeared in my backyard one night and planted the idea of scratchbuilding in my mind. Let me tell you, it's hard to build a model out of tapir bones!) It's really cool to see the design executed, well done!

She turned out fantastic- you did a really great job on the whole thing, but that double thick saucer makes the design for me.
I never liked the FJ Dreadnought because it looked like a simple rearrangement of parts- but you solved that problem soo nicely!

Bravo, all around!

Nice! I have always wanted to build one of these....

Jason Abbadon said:
She turned out fantastic- you did a really great job on the whole thing, but that double thick saucer makes the design for me.
I never liked the FJ Dreadnought because it looked like a simple rearrangement of parts- but you solved that problem soo nicely!

Bravo, all around!

Thank you. I am honored sir!

Grendels said:
Nice! I have always wanted to build one of these....

Go for it! It was a blast to build! The main thing is to make sure all the parts line up nice and straight.

Last edited:
This composite is a tribute to noted illustrator Ralph McQuarrie who contributed the amazing asteroid spacedock painting below for Star Trek: Planet of the Titans which was to have been the first motion picture based on STTOS. The film was in development for two years before being abandoned in 1977...

The Abaddon returns to McQuarrie Station for fine tuning after her shakedown cruise:

29169485683_125b1abc8e_o.jpgAbbaddon Returns by trekriffic, on Flickr

Another image...

The Abaddon responds to an emergency call from Starbase 134:

29167493404_ee3f85fba8_o.jpgAt Warp by trekriffic, on Flickr

And another TOS homage...

29214247874_5fb87632ae_o.jpgJust Where She Wants Them by trekriffic, on Flickr

Classy job on this. Nice composite shots. Especially like the hole in space look on the surface but it makes me wonder... where is the light coming from? ;)

Hagoth said:
Classy job on this. Nice composite shots. Especially like the hole in space look on the surface but it makes me wonder... where is the light coming from? ;)

That falls into the category of artistic license my friend.

Latest posts

Back