USMC M4A2 – 2 nd Pt. / C Co. / 1st CTB – “Galvanic” Op.

Jelly!!!!! Glad to see you back my freind!!!!

The sherman is looking good! Like Tony said, some pin washes would make this ol girl stamd out.

Keep the pics comming

John

:D

Hey mates, thanks a lot for the comments, feedback, and tech-advices :)

So next phase: pinwashes...

And now a slight dilemma:

It seems to me that in some dark-shade models the pin washes are done with light colors (dust tone), and on the other hand, in clear-shade models - the ones painted with "bright" colors (german yellow, desert colors, etc) the pin washes are done with dark oils/enamels: burnt sienna & so...

After watching the (real, and very few) pics of the Shermans in Tarawa, and watching Mr. Steven Zaloga´s Tarawa Sherman model (I´ll show Mr. Zaloga´s picture just as an example):

m4a2tarawasz_3.jpg

Well...after watching that pic ... am I wrong ? I think / it seems to me that I must do the pin washes with clear colors...
What´s your opinion??
Cheers, guys :)
RG

Hi Jelly,
I must say this looks great. I really do like the shaded/faded color effect you've achieved.
As for the wash I think it depends on what kind of effect you want to achieve and in what terrain will the tank be set. For example if you want a cold fall or winter muddy affects you will use dark colors. But if you want to make it in spring or summer and on dry terrain like desert you will use light colors to simulate the dust that set there.
But that is just what I think and I might be wrong. I think more experience parties should say how it should be done ass I'm really interested how this should be done.
Cheers
Lukasz

Jelly,

I'm no expert, but I think you should use both in layers. start with a dark pin wash, then a dusting as a layer on top of the dark. Keep the dark wash fine and Subtle.

:D Howdy mates ! Thanks for the kind words & tech advices ! ;)
´
It´s been almost 03 weeks since my last pix posting here; I´ve had very little modelling time because I´ve away from home (the Modelling Central Command) most of the time. :p & :p
´
Well, since the last posting (I just posted some pictures of the Sherman after covering it with a filter), I´ve executed the next weathering phases (in the next sequence):
´
a.- Pin wash – it´s been very subtle, maybe too much subtle, but I was afraid to outdo the effect, and went on in prudent-mode. I used an oil dark sienna dilution with (odourless) turpentine.
´
b.- Dry brush – again I´ve tried to be subtle. I´ve used Tamiya Khaki (acrylic). I can perceive unequally the effect in different areas / surface features in the model. Maybe I have not executed properly this technique. Again, maybe I´ve been too much cautious…
´
c.- Fading: Again I´ve chosen the cautious way, but I´ve "killed" enough the paint: I´ve using very small quantities. Vertical & longitudinal strokes (depending of the relative position of the model different surfaces). The oils that I´ve used are:
* White
* Yellow
* Phtalo Manganese Blue (in all only two or three dots of this oil)
* Burnt Cinnabar green
* Yellow ochre
´
Well, after these three phases, those are the results. I´ve taken just 05 pictures. Sorry, the lighting conditions are (again) not OK: I just had at hand a small reading-lamp with a too much powerful light bulb, it was too near to the model... Here they go:
´
P1010765.jpg
´
P1010763.jpg
´
P1010762.jpg
´
P1010761.jpg
´
P1010759.jpg
´
Next weathering stage: Paint rubbing & chipping
´
Well, as always, positive waves comments and jokes are welcome ! :D
´
´
ODDBALL_SAYS.jpg
´
Cheers, mates ;)
RG

Odd Ball!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: My Favorite movie off all time ;D

she is starting to look good now jelly the weathering is making it pop

That Oil work on this old gal.... gives it some pretty darn Cool paint fade effects....

this one is pretty darn Awesome...

Keep up the good work !!!

Jellyman I think by the time you get your dust effects applied you'll have a dead ringer there buddy. 8)

Carry on without fear trooper
Tony lee ;D

JELLY ,

Shermie's lookin Tight !! I'm diggin it Brotha' !! Can't wait for th weathering !!

Shine on Brotha' !!

Saludos \m/

Looking good there Jelly :) nice work with the washes .

Chris.

:) Howdy mates,
´
First of all, thanks a lot for the comments, mates, they are morale boostin´ !!!
´
It´s been a while since last post but real-life duties have priority over hobbying :p … but here I am… I don´t like to quit from a thing that I´ve begun.
´
Well, as I told in my last post (34 years ago) I´ve just begun to do the first stage of micropainting (I think that this is the proper term), that is (in this stage) painting small decoloured areas due to scratches & rubbing.
´
I´ve taken as an example one of MIG Jimenez´s works: the painting of a Ha Go tankette.
´
I´ve also been testing wich color would be the more suitable to show a decoloured area with a lighter color than the OD “base”, and I´ve found that for me, a mix of Dark Yellow & Black works the better, of course diluted with water.
´
Here are my currently advances: part of the front of the hull and part of the starboard side of the tank. This is not an impressive advance but it will demonstrate that I´m still modelling-alive, guys.
´
Heres is a small salvo of pics:´
´
A general view of today´s modelling area…
P4220135.jpg
´
A portion of MIG Jimenez´s painting SBS…
P4220146.jpg
´
Different colour tests to find wich mix would be the best to get the desired effect…
´
P4220148.jpg
´
And some of the achieved effects:
´
P4220144.jpg
´
P4220145.jpg
´
P4220143.jpg
´
P4220139.jpg
´
´
Yeah, I know that this is not a big photo – lot, but I think that it shows properly what I´m doing… when I finish this first-stage “micropainting” then will come the second one, I´ll use Vallejo´s German Dark Brown (or so, I can´t remember the exact name) to represent dark rust (small chipping).
´
What to say… “positive waves” comments & jokes welcome, as always…
Cheers,
RG

Jelly, the Sherman is coming along nicely. The streaking and color modulation work looks sweet. I've always
liked to use Filtering to lighten the overall color of my vehicles. I guess in the Pacific theater that would
only intensify it, for example sun-bleaching. Keep up the good work. Bill

Latest posts

Back